Singapore Expats Forum

single expat party

Post here to organise an event, gathering, meetup, party. Search for expats from your country, sports partners or meet new friends here!
jason2009

Postby jason2009 » Wed, 04 Mar 2009 11:09 am

:D I like your idea

ksl wrote:Well my money is saying it's an event organiser, cashing in :wink: Well done SMS! Why on earth would one individual want and to make money from a get together, it's clearly an advertisement to cash in.

I mean lets have a singles party on the beach, bring your own food, but leave your clothes behind! :P Better still let's have an orgy and it's free! :lol: :cool: Age limit well you have to be over 16 and under 100 :)
:D :D

Rajiv_naram

Postby Rajiv_naram » Fri, 13 Mar 2009 4:24 pm

hey cumon ppl,
Let stephanie to organize the event, we all can pay while entering the venue. or else evrybdy can meet up in some bar for the singles party discussion, who ever is interest in organizing the singles party can participate in it. even the moderators may attend the discussion.

joslinsui

hi

Postby joslinsui » Wed, 18 Mar 2009 11:30 pm

hi

i just want to thank the people who is supportive of me and this party
the venue detail is
Venue Name - Hacienda
Location - 13A Dempsey Road (Tanglin Village)
Date: 21st March 2009
Time: 8.30
free entry.....

and for the moderator i have no comments for you as i will not down grade myself to your level....which is shallow....
feel free to close this forum.

Dr_H

Postby Dr_H » Thu, 19 Mar 2009 12:42 am

joslin,

the moderator is just trying to do his job, he is older and wise and feels responsible ...expat people do not know this city and are likely to get skimmed .. he is just looking out for the expats .. he is a good man and i feel you should not take this too personally .. although i understand that since your intentions were good you felt bad with the way this whole episode turned out .. lets all take the high road and let the fact that feathers got ruffled, let slide ..Both sides are nice people just trying to make expat life better in their own way ... let us all please reconcile and be happy ..

my two cents ... for what is worth .. I think we expat ppl are better off that there are experienced folk looking after things ...

R
...he has no ambition and no energy. He will not even go out of his way to verify his own solutions, and would rather be considered wrong than take the trouble to prove himself right........

dawgbyte
Regular
Regular

Postby dawgbyte » Thu, 19 Mar 2009 2:13 am

Dr_H wrote:joslin,

the moderator is just trying to do his job, he is older and wise and feels responsible ...expat people do not know this city and are likely to get skimmed .. he is just looking out for the expats .. he is a good man and i feel you should not take this too personally .. although i understand that since your intentions were good you felt bad with the way this whole episode turned out .. lets all take the high road and let the fact that feathers got ruffled, let slide ..Both sides are nice people just trying to make expat life better in their own way ... let us all please reconcile and be happy ..

my two cents ... for what is worth .. I think we expat ppl are better off that there are experienced folk looking after things ...

R

Hmm.. actually I feel most of the replies by that particular moderator is personal. Anyway, he is not into popularity so no reason to reconcile.. ignoring certain post should be sufficient, as I assume some will do with mine. :)

saint73
Chatter
Chatter

Postby saint73 » Sun, 22 Mar 2009 7:02 pm

sundaymorningstaple wrote:Sounds like a local to me trying to make some money. Why would a UK expat who signs off her posts as Stephanie use a user id of joslinsui which smells like a local name to me and an email user name of wongsui which smells even more like a local. If she is using somebody else email, why?

First of all was just organizing a get together, now it gonna cost you 20 to 30 bucks a whack. There is a pong on this one guys & gals. Something fishy in Denmark as The Bard said.

Cavat emptor!

sms

Sometime ,your sound tone seem rude... :wink:

sundaymorningstaple

Postby sundaymorningstaple » Mon, 23 Mar 2009 9:13 am

saint73 wrote:Sometime ,your sound tone seem rude... :wink:

Yeah, I suspect to some locals it might seem that way. On the other hand, most expats (not all mind you - depends where they are expatriated from) understand as this is, after all, an expatriate forum and not 'sgforum' or 'stomp' or some such. If you are an Asian expatriate, you may well feel that way but I think even most of them can see the problem. As this is a forum for primarily expatriates but do welcome locals as well, they shouldn't get too upset that we run it a slightly different way. It's run for expats hence the site name.

Also, tone is as problem when using the printed word isn't it. Especially when you are using a language that is not your native tongue. We also have that problem when listening to locals as well. Nuances are hard enough in the spoken language, let alone the printed word. Especially when it's not written reasonably intelligently (like using sms'ese when you have an entire keyboard). For you to read the OP's posts, you would not have any problems as she writes with a local style(?) doesn't she? But she claimed to be Expat. Hello?

And, as another poster rightly put it. I'm not doing this for a popularity contest. Complaints are like water off'n a duck's back. After being here 26 years, I try to help new expats to assimilate here without being subjected to the likes of Newton Hawker Centre and Sim Lim Square for instance and anything else that smells like a rip-off. Oh, as you noted (or probably didn't) I had already apologized to her in advance if she was in fact on the level. Would you rather I had let it go, and somebody possibly ripped off a lot a people? One more in a long list of grievances perpetrated on foreigners by some of the local population? I'd rather upset one here than see the majority here get shafted. Some of us have been here for donkey's years already and all of us do this voluntarily.

ianlaird

Re: hi

Postby ianlaird » Mon, 23 Mar 2009 3:56 pm

Did this event take place?

Was it good? Anyone Find new love? Anyone get ripped off?

Great read, woke me up this afternoon!

joslinsui wrote:hi

i just want to thank the people who is supportive of me and this party
the venue detail is
Venue Name - Hacienda
Location - 13A Dempsey Road (Tanglin Village)
Date: 21st March 2009
Time: 8.30
free entry.....

and for the moderator i have no comments for you as i will not down grade myself to your level....which is shallow....
feel free to close this forum.

dawgbyte
Regular
Regular

Re: hi

Postby dawgbyte » Mon, 23 Mar 2009 4:36 pm

ianlaird wrote:Did this event take place?

Was it good? Anyone Find new love? Anyone get ripped off?

Great read, woke me up this afternoon!

Yes it did took place and yes it was great. It was just called single, as opposed to other meetups like couples or married with kids or mid-twenties, but was not meant to be a dating thingie. As far as I know, no one was ripped off.

hithere

Postby hithere » Mon, 23 Mar 2009 4:45 pm

yes it was great fun! everyone there was great to get to know.

Y

pooiyin
Regular
Regular

Postby pooiyin » Mon, 23 Mar 2009 9:58 pm

I just missed it. I was not in town. :(

localgal

Single party

Postby localgal » Wed, 25 Mar 2009 5:23 pm

Hi there..

It seem like i get to know about this post too late. Anyway, will there be another one coming up soon? :)

Carol

ezytronic

Postby ezytronic » Thu, 26 Mar 2009 12:00 am

Hi,
Ops, I jsut missed it. Just sign up today and realise the event was jsut over. Hope jolin will oraganize another gathering since the feedback is so good.

lucifer666

Postby lucifer666 » Thu, 26 Mar 2009 3:22 pm

how bout another one as i missed dis party....lets say 2moro at double oo...any1 game..???

birkin

Postby birkin » Fri, 27 Mar 2009 11:00 pm

Any more singles' parties coming up??