Singapore Expats Forum

single expat party

Post here to organise an event, gathering, meetup, party. Search for expats from your country, sports partners or meet new friends here!
cool_nich
Regular
Regular

Postby cool_nich » Sat, 28 Feb 2009 8:13 am

so how is the event?

sundaymorningstaple

Re: hi

Postby sundaymorningstaple » Sat, 28 Feb 2009 11:16 am

joslinsui wrote:hi

ok............i thought this is a forum not an english test exam..prehaps i should consult my editor before send this message to forum.

No, but you might want to use the "Preview" button before using the "Submit" button to proof read your posts (that's why it's there) ...... This would seem especially prudent when one is trying to "organize" something! :roll:

i dont know why u being this rude and prejudice, it seem u are against singaporean?

Look at your two statements above and below this sentence. In two sentences you have contradicted yourself. First I am "against singaporean" and then you say you are not singaporean? If you haven't noticed, this is an expatriate forum, most here aren't Singaporean either.

i am not a singaporean...........im from hong kong - uk
so please do not assume...but u can ask...im happy to answer any qestions

But in your earlier post this is what you said.....

joslinsui wrote:ok and im chinese, but born in uk........

and who said i am married? im not...

But in your earlier post this is what you said.....

joslinsui wrote:i once a single

You do realize that "once" mean past tense? Surely if you are British you would know enough grammar to realize that. So, if you were once a single that that means you are no longer single doesn't it? If you are not single then you must be married.

why is it so difficult for you to understand that some people are nice and do not take advantages.

prehaps u are a calculated person....but i am not....there are people who are nice and considerate.

you asked why i not pay for the venue...have u every organised a party?
even when u go clubbing in singapore..u need to pay entry fee........

so u want me to pay everyone entry fee? and thats called organising a party...

so if i organise a dinner event...should i pay for everyone dinner?

if you really think im not a kind person and i have motives...then please i be free to meet u..

Surely you realize that there are a number of gatherings already here on a weekly basis that do not entail all the effort. We even have subforums for these based on different criteria. Why not avail yourself to these regularly scheduled events?

Suspicious postings tend to get us on guard as too many try to come on here and try to solicit/advertise/con or otherwise try to rip off our readers. As moderators, we try to sniff out these operators. You style of posting and the misdirections you have given tended to conflict as noted above. So therefore, I probe to try to find out the truth of the matter. Especially when you start asking for money from our regulars. We tend to err on the side of caution so if you are above board please accept my apologies, but our concern for our regulars is our foremost concern. Especially when things like this come from new posters.

Allibert
Chatter
Chatter

sorry

Postby Allibert » Sat, 28 Feb 2009 4:09 pm

Think we're just angry old men :lol:

sminority

Postby sminority » Sun, 01 Mar 2009 11:22 pm

was the moderator getting at that Singaporeans don't have a good command of english or are uncapable of speaking and expressing themselves well?
Qoute : 'locals are out to make money'
meaning singaporeans(me) are out to con the expats? you're degrading the people of Singapore
could we the citizens file a law suit against that???

birkin

Postby birkin » Sun, 01 Mar 2009 11:44 pm

While it's great to have the moderators looking out for us on this forum (which can be filled with dodgy people :? ), it's good if we don't jump to conclusions too quickly :) Besides, I know other people from the UK and US who don't speak perfect English either ;)

I'm in for this party as well, if it ever happens ;)

alijz

Singles party

Postby alijz » Mon, 02 Mar 2009 11:24 am

Mr. Moderator. I must say that you have shown the least side of yourself by being so rude and its worse if you're a Singaporean! If you did wanted to reply to stephanie in such an insane manner, you should have at least disguised as a different user than using a moderator account!

You're an insult not only to the forum but also to Singaporeans!

The girl is just trying to organise an event for expats and locals and nothing comes for free in this world which even a 5 year old kid is aware of!

You however should be appreciating the fact that she is taking the EFFORT to do that and again efforts also don't free either. Even if she wanted to charge for her efforts, its truely justified because you wouldn't work an extra hour in your office for FREE without getting overtime pay or would you Mr. freebie?

Its not my policy of judging people but I'm quite sure either my post will never appear at the forum or I'll certainly get banned!

St Georgie

Postby St Georgie » Mon, 02 Mar 2009 8:24 pm

Geeze! I have to agree with the above comment, someone seriously needs to take a chill pill here, and try reading their posts before getting nit-picky as they weren’t perfectly spelt either. Who gives a toss whether the grammar/spelling is perfect!? As long as the person gets their message across and is sincere, thats all that should matter.

If I were single Id definitely give this event a try :) Good luck guys!!
Hannah

sundaymorningstaple

Postby sundaymorningstaple » Mon, 02 Mar 2009 11:54 pm

Of course the flip side to all this is that if we did nothing and you all DID get ripped off then you would be the first to scream bloody murder about why we don't vet people better. Some people you cannot please ever. Guess we should also let every dodgy advertiser and mlm'r on here to scam people as well. They mean well also don't they? You see, you cannot have your cake and eat it too. This board stay pretty clean and it because of thick-skinned individuals who work tirelessly behind the scenes to rid the spammers, con artists, nigerian 419'rs and other undesirables so that you can read the threads and find the meat in the threads instead of wading through tonnes of garbage posts.

As far as my opinion of Singaporean's English? It's pretty well known. Even the Senior Minister has made many references to it while he was still PM. It's not anything new or hidden (though the government wishes they could). I've been married to one for over a quarter of a century and I've been here longer than that. I'm also a member of our HDB estate's resident committee as well. I think I know you all pretty well, believe me.

If I ruffled any feathers, please accept my apologies. But at the end of the day, for me it's water off a duck's back. (your complaints) I do what I do for the welfare of the board in general. Until a newbie has been around a while, we all treat them with caution. You should too.
Last edited by sundaymorningstaple on Mon, 02 Mar 2009 11:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.

sundaymorningstaple

Postby sundaymorningstaple » Mon, 02 Mar 2009 11:57 pm

alijz, as you are also a newbie here, I would suggest you did some reading here as well. You would find out that all the moderators here are regular members as well and all use the same accounts for normal postings or moderation. Get used to it.

Wind In My Hair
Manager
Manager

Postby Wind In My Hair » Tue, 03 Mar 2009 9:19 am

I saw SMS on a thread for single expats and just HAD to come and see what was going on! I should have guessed :)

Moderating is not easy, and often requires a judgment call. Profiling is the easiest way to spot advertisers and I notice that a few factors that are usually present were present here:

- promotion of something involving money
- few other posts

If I were a moderator my guard would be up too. But profiling is just that - most culprits fit the profile but not everyone who fits the profile is a culprit. At least SMS didn't just delete the post as moderators often do, but asked a question and gave the poster a chance to answer. So, that's my take in defense of SMS. He's cranky and thinks he knows everything about Singapore, but has a good heart and is just doing his job here, for free mind you. Plus, I think he's just jealous that he's not single and can't join the party! :D

Stephanie, I have hosted singles parties but the old-fashioned way that SMS was referring to. I invited people (friends and strangers) to my place, provided dinner, and they brought dessert or drinks. There was no payment involved and I think this is the idea of individually hosted singles parties that most people have. Good on you for trying to organise something on such a large scale. Have you tried the Post Bar at Fullerton Hotel on Thurdays nights I think - lots of singles and all the organising is done by the bar. You just have to turn up and meet people! I haven't been myself but heard about it, and am sure there are many other singles events involving large numbers of people too.

dawgbyte
Regular
Regular

Postby dawgbyte » Tue, 03 Mar 2009 11:30 am

Sorry wind, but I still find it offensive if the profiling is bordering on discrimination. Against people who can't speak proper english, against new members who disagree with him, and against singaporean way of speaking english. I know moderating can be tough but compare your explanation to sunday, same message but different impact.

sundaymorningstaple

Postby sundaymorningstaple » Tue, 03 Mar 2009 2:35 pm

dawgbyte wrote:Sorry wind, but I still find it offensive if the profiling is bordering on discrimination. Against people who can't speak proper english, against new members who disagree with him, and against singaporean way of speaking english. I know moderating can be tough but compare your explanation to sunday, same message but different impact.

In your case, I'll just consider the source. You obviously don't have a clue what discrimination is. There are online dictionaries if you need them.

I have nothing at all against people who can't speak English. At least then we know what we are dealing with. Different story when we are talking about "an Expat" which by the commonly held definition puts them on a different educational level than the norm, and when that person is also claiming to be an "Expat from the UK" one would think that their English was be at least recognizable as British English (it was not). The person in question was not using a normal variant of English but was using grammatical characteristics normally found in those speakers of "Singlish", but claiming to be from the UK. 2 + 2 did not equal 4. Normally I would have just deleted the post as WIMH indicated, but because a number folks had already responded, I though I'd question her just in case the OP was on the level. She is/was and I apologized. Whether you like my methods or not, I really don't care. I'm not trying to win a popularity contest. I'm just trying to keep a board free of garbage.

Deal with it. Or don't. Your choice. :wink:

sms

newbeme

Postby newbeme » Wed, 04 Mar 2009 12:03 am

I would love to try, but is there any age limit?

ksl
Governor
Governor

Postby ksl » Wed, 04 Mar 2009 12:11 am

Well my money is saying it's an event organiser, cashing in :wink: Well done SMS! Why on earth would one individual want and to make money from a get together, it's clearly an advertisement to cash in.

I mean lets have a singles party on the beach, bring your own food, but leave your clothes behind! :P Better still let's have an orgy and it's free! :lol: :cool: Age limit well you have to be over 16 and under 100 :)

Saint
Director
Director

Postby Saint » Wed, 04 Mar 2009 9:51 am

ksl wrote:Age limit well you have to be over 16 and under 100 :)

You ageist!!

:P