Singapore Expats

Good International Moving Company

Moving to Singapore? Ask our regular expats in Singapore questions on relocation and their experience here. Ask about banking, employment pass, insurance, visa, work permit, citizenship or immigration issues.

Sponsored by:

Utrust Immigration
Eddie the Eagle

Vanpac versus Raffles for moving from Singapore to Europe

Post by Eddie the Eagle » Wed, 29 Jan 2014 9:29 am

Does anyone have any suggestions whether I should go with Vanpac or Raffles Movers? Vanpac is slightly more expensive but I cannot find any bad reviews on them. For Raffles I have found a single bad review, but most people seem quite happy with them. Other companies such as Santa Fe and Allied Pickfords have been excluded due to the overwhelming abundance of bad reviews.

Semar

Post by Semar » Wed, 05 Mar 2014 5:18 am

We used Asian Tigers and AGS four winds for both our move. Both were a pleasure to deal with and packed our things very well.

Mi Amigo
Manager
Manager

Re: Vanpac versus Raffles for moving from Singapore to Europ

Post by Mi Amigo » Wed, 05 Mar 2014 5:27 pm

Eddie the Eagle wrote:Other companies such as Santa Fe and Allied Pickfords have been excluded due to the overwhelming abundance of bad reviews.
I know nothing about Santa Fe, but we have used Allied Pickfords for all our international moves over the past 20+ years and they have always done a first class job for us. Obviously things can sometimes go wrong with any company, but I'm surprised at the apparent 'abundance of bad reviews'. That's not been my experience when I've looked online previously.
Be careful what you wish for

Eddie the Eagle

Re: Vanpac versus Raffles for moving from Singapore to Europ

Post by Eddie the Eagle » Fri, 14 Mar 2014 1:51 pm

Mi Amigo wrote: I know nothing about Santa Fe, but we have used Allied Pickfords for all our international moves over the past 20+ years and they have always done a first class job for us.... but I'm surprised at the apparent 'abundance of bad reviews'.
The abundance is probably due to the fact that Santa Fe and AP are huge companies with lots of moves.

stephaniehussy

Post by stephaniehussy » Fri, 18 Apr 2014 7:46 pm

:) before six month i move with http://executivemovingandstorage.com
try it
stephaniehussy

sundaymorningstaple
Answers: 21

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Fri, 18 Apr 2014 8:01 pm

stephaniehussy wrote::) before six month i move with http://www.singaporeexpats.com
try it
Doesn't surprise me a bit......

Geolocation Information

State/Region: Delhi
City: New Delhi

Wave bye-bye. :wave: :devil:

SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

farnazr

moving from Singapore to Auckland

Post by farnazr » Sat, 14 Jun 2014 10:20 am

Hi , we are going to move to Auckland from Singapore and thinking of using Allied Pickfords to ship our items. does anybody have any experience in this regard?

Strong Eagle
Answers: 10

Re: moving from Singapore to Auckland

Post by Strong Eagle » Sat, 14 Jun 2014 10:59 am

farnazr wrote:Hi , we are going to move to Auckland from Singapore and thinking of using Allied Pickfords to ship our items. does anybody have any experience in this regard?
I used AP for a trip back to Texas. Things were packed fine. But be damn sure you have a hard quote... the buggers quoted me a price based upon their estimated cubic feet to ship, and then when the vans were packed, they attempted to charge me for the unused space. It took weeks of email and threats to get them to honor the original estimate.

Also, I was quoted a Houston storage rate that was well below what Houston Allied wanted. Fortunately, they honored the SG AP quote and went after them.

farnazr

Post by farnazr » Mon, 16 Jun 2014 11:07 am

Thanks for the help. I guess AP also overestimated our items in the quotation. I should be careful about that then. But they asked for all the money before they ship.

manuben

Post by manuben » Sat, 28 Jun 2014 6:46 am

Do moving companies usually move cars too? I'm looking for a service to move a car and belongings and haven't had much luck. I called these guys http://www.a1autotransport.com/ship-car ... gapore.php but they said the only do cars. Contacted a couple moving companies and they don't do cars. surely there's companies that do both?

x9200

Post by x9200 » Sat, 28 Jun 2014 8:19 am

There are not too many people on this planet (privately) shipping cars to Singapore so you may have problems finding such company.

sundaymorningstaple

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Sat, 28 Jun 2014 12:48 pm

manuben wrote:Do moving companies usually move cars too? I'm looking for a service to move a car and belongings and haven't had much luck. I called these guys http://www.a1autotransport.com/ship-car ... gapore.php but they said the only do cars. Contacted a couple moving companies and they don't do cars. surely there's companies that do both?
Unless your car in under three years old, I believe, and conforms the Singapore's emission controls criteria, it might be an unwise move. While the car could be modified for the emission controls levels, the age cannot.

http://www.onemotoring.com.sg/publish/o ... mp/Car.pdf
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

Strong Eagle
Answers: 10

Post by Strong Eagle » Sun, 29 Jun 2014 12:30 am

manuben wrote:Do moving companies usually move cars too? I'm looking for a service to move a car and belongings and haven't had much luck. I called these guys http://www.a1autotransport.com/ship-car ... gapore.php but they said the only do cars. Contacted a couple moving companies and they don't do cars. surely there's companies that do both?
Besides being not more than 3 years old, your car must be right hand drive. The excise tax, GST, and additional registration fee will amount to about 180 percent of the open market value which is calculated as the value of the used car plus all insurance, shipping, and miscellaneous fees. Then you will need to purchase a certificate of entitlement to drive it, which will run about USD 53,000 for a ten year run.

Since you are posting from a USA IP address, I doubt you meet the right hand drive criteria, and even if you did, you'll find it very costly.

babu Bhargavan

Re: Good International Moving Company

Post by babu Bhargavan » Fri, 06 Mar 2015 8:19 am

Hi All,
I am surprised to see the review from Ravi about Raffles Movers. he had moved with a 20ft. full container and the damaged items were 2x standing fans and a kid bike. the total claim offered and accepted $150. such a long and untruthful review !
Hope we all be honest and sincere when posting a review.

sundaymorningstaple

Re: Good International Moving Company

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Fri, 06 Mar 2015 8:41 am

What was factually incorrect in his review? It's one thing to diss something, it's another to back it up. What are you specifically saying did not happen? Or are you just being sour grapes because someone gave a balanced view and their opinion based on the service they actually received? Are you the same babu who wouldn't return his calls and didn't show up at the packing of his effects?