Singapore Expats

Good International Moving Company

Moving to Singapore? Ask our regular expats in Singapore questions on relocation and their experience here. Ask about banking, employment pass, insurance, visa, work permit, citizenship or immigration issues.

Sponsored by:

Utrust Immigration
Debbie007
Regular
Regular

Good International Moving Company

Post by Debbie007 » Thu, 19 Feb 2009 3:36 am

Can anybody recommend a good and reliable International Moving Company? We will be moving from UK to Singapore.

Bafana

Post by Bafana » Thu, 19 Feb 2009 10:21 am

Am using Allied Pickfords for my move Singapore to Aussie and they seem OK if a bit un-cordinated (it was around Christmas/New Years).
Be Like Water

rluk

Post by rluk » Sat, 21 Feb 2009 11:59 am

I just used OSS Worldwide. Very impressed. Packed up a whole container on 9 January in Melbourne and delivered to my house in Singapore on 30 January, which I thought was pretty good considering the period included the traditional Aussie January shutdown and CNY in Singapore.

All at the the agreed quote price. No ++ attempts, no fuss, no broken items etc.

Strong Eagle
Answers: 10

Post by Strong Eagle » Sat, 21 Feb 2009 1:01 pm

Unigroup - big in SG, international in scope.

http://www.unigroupworldwide.com/

ching
Regular
Regular

Post by ching » Sat, 21 Feb 2009 4:09 pm

We used Crown Relocations, I thought they were ok.
Tips from expats living in Singapore - http://www.livinginsingapore.org

textex

Post by textex » Sun, 22 Feb 2009 10:39 pm

Hi, most of the companies mentioned above are reputable, but please get your stuff insured as there will be dings and damage (from experience). Search through the forum to read about the unfortunate ones who did not get any insurance.

Good luck with your move.

Tex.

langkawi06

Post by langkawi06 » Mon, 09 Mar 2009 11:19 pm

We have used Crown Relocations for several of our moves.... and a couple of others when we relocated to the US and Caribbean.... from our experience Crown has been the best so far... we are using them again for our move to Singapore.....

pbez

Post by pbez » Tue, 17 Mar 2009 10:55 am

We've used Crown Relocations a couple of times. I was not satisfied with them. In both occasions we had broken furniture for being wrapped improperly. In one occasion, a piece of furniture came in completely split in half and before I could say anything, one of their delivery guys attempted to fix it with nails!! Then Crown said they could not pay for it since it had been "touched." But it was their delivery guy that did it without my consent! In Singapore they have a more polite group at least, but quite slow. I am still trying to get my furniture fixed. Next time I'll try another company.
Good luck!

Zeenit
Reporter
Reporter

Post by Zeenit » Tue, 17 Mar 2009 10:59 am

pbez wrote:We've used Crown Relocations a couple of times. I was not satisfied with them. In both occasions we had broken furniture for being wrapped improperly. In one occasion, a piece of furniture came in completely split in half and before I could say anything, one of their delivery guys attempted to fix it with nails!! Then Crown said they could not pay for it since it had been "touched." But it was their delivery guy that did it without my consent! In Singapore they have a more polite group at least, but quite slow. I am still trying to get my furniture fixed. Next time I'll try another company.
Good luck!
Same experience with Crown but they did not try to fix anything. Just tried not to pay out.
Zeenit

pbez

Post by pbez » Tue, 17 Mar 2009 11:07 am

The guy who fixed the piece of furniture was in another country, not Singapore. But it is true. Even if you pay tones of money for insurance, Crown still gives you a headache for refusing to pay for it. I wonder if it is the same with other relocation companies. If anyone knows of an honest company, I would like to know for my next move!

textex

Post by textex » Tue, 17 Mar 2009 4:38 pm

Hi, unfortunate to hear abt. your experience with Crown, we moved a few times around the region and we never had any issues with Allied Pickford and Boltt out from Sydney.

Just a note though, door to door movers like Allied P are more meticulous in their service and all claims go through them (1 agent). We used Grace/Boltt out from Sydney and they had subcontracted the unpacking here in Singapore and the subcontractor was not too eager to go through the hassle of repairs. So we just claimed all damaged goods with full replacement cost (even if it was just a little ding).

Always good to have someone monitor the unpacking and have a digital camera ready to take the photo evidence.

Hope this helps.

Tex.

pbez

Hi, unfortunate to hear abt. your experience with Crown, we

Post by pbez » Tue, 17 Mar 2009 9:30 pm

Hi textex,

I will try Allied P next time then. Just so everyone knows, Crown Relocations does not allow you to claim damaged goods with full replacement cost. This has been my greatest headache here. They send someone to quote for fixing costs, and, of course, the person they send in will always say there is a way to fix it because he wants to make his money, even if this means a cover up of the problem. And Crown does not care whether you choose to have it fixed or replaced! Definitely not an honest company! I am sure I will have future headaches with their repairs, since some of my furniture pieces are really too badly broken to be repaired.
Thanks for your input.

Zeenit
Reporter
Reporter

Post by Zeenit » Tue, 17 Mar 2009 10:54 pm

Like I said before, I will never use Crown again. Not that we had a option it came with the Co my husband works for.

The only reason we got money was that the HR dept kept calling Crown after they refused to talk to me.

And I thought this was a one off Crown gone wrong. It sounds like its Crown everyday.
Zeenit

sierra2469alpha
Editor
Editor

Post by sierra2469alpha » Fri, 05 Mar 2010 1:47 pm

Suggest you do a search of similar posts here - it's a fairly hot topic that has been discussed widely. HTH, Mr. P

cbavasi
Reporter
Reporter

Post by cbavasi » Fri, 05 Mar 2010 11:37 pm

We used Crown from London - the move itself was seamless from start to finish. We did, however, have a call from our UK bank about 4 months later about a check that was attempted to be cashed in London - the only people who had ever been in our apt were the movers. (?)