Singapore Expats Forum

Re-Entry Permit Validity

Relocating, travelling or planning to make Singapore home? Discuss the criterias, passes or visa that is required.
andrewsaba

Re-entry Permit Validity

Postby andrewsaba » Fri, 05 Jun 2009 1:32 pm

SMS

You mentioned that once a person who is a SPR is over 50, he does not need an employer's letter for his REP to be renewed. Once a SPR reaches over 50, how long is the REP valid. Will it still be 5 years?

You also mentioned that that there is no more the 10 year REP option. I got mine some 3 years ago when I was 46 and the REP will expire when I am 56. So does this mean that once I reach 56, (a) I wont need to produce an employers letter and (b) the renewal of REP will only be vaild for 5 years?

Andrew

sundaymorningstaple

Postby sundaymorningstaple » Fri, 05 Jun 2009 3:22 pm

I think you will find that somewhere in one of these threads, I've subsequently received an update on what I was told regarding the over 50 thing. That is apparently for those who received their PR based on family ties and not those who get it using the technical scheme. I think a call to ICA would sort it though. Now, however, regardless of whether or not you are working and need that sponsorship letter, the REP can only be renewed for 5 years where previously you were given choices of 5 or 10 years. I was once told that only those on family ties could get 10 year ones when they were still available, but I don't have any ICA confirmation of that. However, that option is no long available anyway.

So. A) if you are PR based on family ties, no letter will be needed from an employer. and,

B) REP's will be 5 years from now until they change it again without telling anybody. :wink:

Segue
Regular
Regular

Postby Segue » Wed, 23 Dec 2009 5:47 pm

sundaymorningstaple wrote:I think you will find that somewhere in one of these threads, I've subsequently received an update on what I was told regarding the over 50 thing. That is apparently for those who received their PR based on family ties and not those who get it using the technical scheme. I think a call to ICA would sort it though. Now, however, regardless of whether or not you are working and need that sponsorship letter, the REP can only be renewed for 5 years where previously you were given choices of 5 or 10 years. I was once told that only those on family ties could get 10 year ones when they were still available, but I don't have any ICA confirmation of that. However, that option is no long available anyway.

So. A) if you are PR based on family ties, no letter will be needed from an employer. and,

B) REP's will be 5 years from now until they change it again without telling anybody. :wink:

I was looking at the ICA doc and it states for self-employed:

A valid Business Registration Certificate (showing the names of all the Directors and partners) from the Instant Information Service, Accounting & Corporate Regulatory Authority (ACRA). You may wish to visit ACRA’s website at http://www.acra.gov.sg or call them at 62486028 for further information;

It seems one could go and open a small shell company and that would be sufficient to meet this requirement

sundaymorningstaple

Postby sundaymorningstaple » Wed, 23 Dec 2009 6:13 pm

Not sure about the shell company, as you would have to be able to prove that you are contributing to the economy and not just coasting here, so I think it would have to be a bit more than just a shell. Interesting thought though.

Segue
Regular
Regular

Postby Segue » Wed, 23 Dec 2009 7:29 pm

Ok maybe not just a shell, but a registered company with paid in capital, business plans, etc. ....just not making any money yet. Anyway, they don't seem to be asking for all of that.

test2009k

Postby test2009k » Tue, 12 Jan 2010 10:06 pm

hi moses_prasad
im havng the same pbm
would u mind reply what happend ?whats ur advice for people staying outside singapore after getting PR

sundaymorningstaple

Postby sundaymorningstaple » Tue, 12 Jan 2010 11:52 pm

Under the current regime, stay outside as they are gonna get you eventually anyway. They are looking for ways to reduce the PR population anyway.

turningpoint128

Postby turningpoint128 » Wed, 27 Jan 2010 10:19 am

Recently a friend of mine just got back to SG 2-3months before his REP expires, he got his rep renewed eventhough he was not gainfully employed in SG but however it is only for 1 year. This i believe helps ICA to keep track ppl who may abuse the system and pulling a quick way out.

It is quite common nowadays for professionals to be mobile as the global economy demands but if you really have the intention to return to SG one day, pls have initiative to come back to work or consider taking up the citizenship.

I have gone a long way to obtain my PR (4 years as student pass & 4 years EP before becoming PR) and unfortunately have to work in overseas for the pass 3 years but decided to give up tht job to return to SG for good becoz of the common concern everyone has here in this discussion. So pls do not abuse the system as it may affect others whose roots are already in SG.

RobSg
Regular
Regular

Retirement in Singapore

Postby RobSg » Sun, 31 Jan 2010 1:29 pm

I'm single, have lived in Singapore for more than 20 years, and was one of the last people I believe to get a 10 year REP. I go it in 2007. Now I believe they are only good for 5 years. BTW, I am 63 years of age and from N. America.

The representative at ICA told me that when I return in 2017 I would not need to present any sort of paperwork about employment. Just bring my passport and my IC card. At any rate, I will certainly have part time employment of some kind for structure to my day, but it's nice to know that I do not need to.

I'm assuming that once you have contributed to Singapore and you're retired, letters from your employer are no longer necessary.

Regards,
Rob

sundaymorningstaple

Postby sundaymorningstaple » Sun, 31 Jan 2010 2:23 pm

Hey Rob, welcome back and Happy New Year. Been a while since you've been on the forum. How's semi-retirement going?

sms

RobSg
Regular
Regular

Be back soon

Postby RobSg » Sun, 31 Jan 2010 2:46 pm

Hi SMS,
Semi-retirement is a state of mind, just like retirement is as you well know. I am working as hard as ever as a teacher in one of the schools here, but doing it for reasons other than monetary. I will definitely lessen my work load though in a few months and keep it to about 3 hours a day. It's relatively easy to do part-time work in Singapore as a substitute teacher in all or any of the International Schools, or find an interesting position where I teach one class a day (I'd personally love that one).

Cheers.

Regards,
Rob

RalphVR

REP renewal depending on my career graph...

Postby RalphVR » Tue, 30 Mar 2010 11:02 am

Hi there..
Having read the posts here, I would lik to ask you a very difficult but important question..
Q: I am a diploma holder from Temasek poly, I have been working here for 3 years (after being a PR). so my REP renewal is coming in 2 years time.
BUT.. my employment records is a mess..I have been struggling with my career, and been working in NINE companies in these three years. It was not my choice but circumstances...
So WILL THIS EMPLOYMENT HISTORY BE HINDRANCE FOR ME TO RENEW MY REP OR EVEN TO APPLY FOR CITIZENSHIP....

(the posts here has ppl who migrated to other countries or those who don't have a career problem.. but I wud love to cling on to singapore for ma life.. but my career is fluctuating..)

I am wrkin in ma new company since 1 month. hope to keep this job for long term.

Thanks a ton in advance.

sundaymorningstaple

Postby sundaymorningstaple » Tue, 30 Mar 2010 12:01 pm

Nah. As long as you are working then they won't bother you. I though the same when I renewed the last time as at that time I'd actually been out of work for 15 months and was waiting until I was re-employed before applying for the REP. That way, they could see that there were again CPF contributions being made into my account. They told me it wasn't a real problem as I was still in the country during that period of time. In other words, I wasn't abusing the PR by taking it and then leaving the country for several years, coming back just in time to renew the REP. They frown on that. Shouldn't be a problem I would think.

sms

Also, Please limit your signature to a single line of text OR a single hyperlink inline with forum policy. Thanks

RalphVR

Postby RalphVR » Tue, 30 Mar 2010 2:21 pm

sundaymorningstaple wrote:Nah. As long as you are working then they won't bother you. I though the same when I renewed the last time as at that time I'd actually been out of work for 15 months and was waiting until I was re-employed before applying for the REP. That way, they could see that there were again CPF contributions being made into my account. They told me it wasn't a real problem as I was still in the country during that period of time. In other words, I wasn't abusing the PR by taking it and then leaving the country for several years, coming back just in time to renew the REP. They frown on that. Shouldn't be a problem I would think.

sms

Thx a lot sms.. And wat about the probabilities of considering me for citizenship... in today's circumstances..

--------------------------------
Vinzlife.blogspot.com

sundaymorningstaple

Postby sundaymorningstaple » Tue, 30 Mar 2010 2:27 pm

That's anybody's guess. I don't have a clue. Are you NS eligible? If you are a male and NS eligible then it might be a good chance. Otherwise, I can only tell you to apply and hope. If you don't apply, you won't get citizenship. If you do, you may or you may get told to reapply in two years. Give it a shot.