Singapore Expats Forum

Re-Entry Permit Validity

Relocating, travelling or planning to make Singapore home? Discuss the criterias, passes or visa that is required.
bogdang

Postby bogdang » Thu, 26 Mar 2009 3:02 pm

Saint wrote:
http://www.ica.gov.sg/data/resources/do ... tesREP.pdf

Does seem to be quite clear what you need to produce to the ICA to renew a REP.

Yes, it tell you what documents you have to submit.
I does NOT say how long you have to have resided during the 5 year period in order to be eligible for renewal.

Saint
Director
Director

Postby Saint » Thu, 26 Mar 2009 3:11 pm

bogdang wrote:
Saint wrote:

I does NOT say how long you have to have resided during the 5 year period in order to be eligible for renewal.

But by telling you what you need to produce does give you a fairly good indication what the ICA is looking for in respect of residency over the previous 1-3 years, well it's pretty obvious to me anyway.

sundaymorningstaple

Postby sundaymorningstaple » Thu, 26 Mar 2009 4:34 pm

It's pretty obvious to anybody with a modicum of common sense. It's only those who are trying to abuse the system that are always having the problem understanding that Permanent Residence means permanently residing IN Singapore and not just trying to keep a bolt-hole here "IF NEEDED".

bogdang,

As far as you other post is concerned, my apologies. It is apparent that when I replied to your post earlier I must have hit the edit button instead of the quote button (which are right beside one another) so when I started typing I inadvertently deleted your post. It wasn't done deliberately I assure you. Sometimes we goof up (you don't have the edit button visible except on your own posts. We have it all the time). Again, my apologies for deleting your post.

bogdang

Postby bogdang » Thu, 26 Mar 2009 10:04 pm

sundaymorningstaple wrote: It wasn't done deliberately I assure you. Sometimes we goof up (you don't have the edit button visible except on your own posts. We have it all the time). Again, my apologies for deleting your post.

No problem, it was kind of funny.

bogdang

Postby bogdang » Thu, 26 Mar 2009 10:09 pm

Saint wrote:what the ICA is looking for in respect of residency over the previous 1-3 years, well it's pretty obvious to me anyway.

Exactly, over the period 1-3 years. Wouldn't you agree there is a difference between saying "the last year out of 5" and "the last 3 out of 5"?
This is what my rant is all about, clear rules (and I'm not even going to apply for PR.)

Saint
Director
Director

Postby Saint » Thu, 26 Mar 2009 10:49 pm

bogdang wrote:
Saint wrote:what the ICA is looking for in respect of residency over the previous 1-3 years, well it's pretty obvious to me anyway.

Exactly, over the period 1-3 years. Wouldn't you agree there is a difference between saying "the last year out of 5" and "the last 3 out of 5"?
This is what my rant is all about, clear rules (and I'm not even going to apply for PR.)

But it doesn't say the first 2 years of the 5 years which is what the OP is wanting to do.

PR, best move I ever made :cool:

sundaymorningstaple

Postby sundaymorningstaple » Thu, 26 Mar 2009 11:30 pm

When you accept something from the government here, there is always something held back by the government. That is the option to look at it with flexibility in their favour. It's too easy when you give concrete goalposts. Everybody knows that Singapore ALWAYS has the penchant for moving the goalposts. This give them the upper hand. You always have to play by their rules. It's their court and their ball. You are just an invited guest here only on the pleasure of the government. By them keeping the ball in their court you can be history with three days notice (I've never seen them give less than three days after revoking a PR but I have seen PR's revoked).

You wanna play. No problemo, their court, their ball & their rules. :)

OH, one other thing, their referees as well. When you get red carded you are history. Have you ever seen the Singapore Government lose a court case here in Singapore? :P

maneo
Reporter
Reporter

Postby maneo » Sat, 28 Mar 2009 3:14 am

Saint wrote:
bogdang wrote:
Saint wrote:

But by telling you what you need to produce does give you a fairly good indication what the ICA is looking for in respect of residency over the previous 1-3 years, well it's pretty obvious to me anyway.

I was able to renew mine after being away for 4 years straight on a 5 year REP, even though I was still employed overseas by a non-SG firm at the time.
Just had to confirm that I was coming back to SG.

Saint
Director
Director

Postby Saint » Sat, 28 Mar 2009 11:37 am

maneo wrote:
Saint wrote:
bogdang wrote:
Saint wrote:

I was able to renew mine after being away for 4 years straight on a 5 year REP, even though I was still employed overseas by a non-SG firm at the time.

May I perhaps make a bold and probably rash assumption that you may be married to a local?

ksl
Governor
Governor

Postby ksl » Sat, 28 Mar 2009 1:04 pm

Segue wrote:
sundaymorningstaple wrote:Rob, you are exactly right. Once you reach 50 years of age, you are no longer required to have a employment sponsor to renew your re-entry permit. (it would seem also that you were also one of the last to slide in under the old 10 pass elgibility - it's now 5 years across the board, 10 years is no longer an option. They've even taken it off the Form 6 renewal form.

However, while existing PR's have this benefit, new PR's don't. I think they require a large injection of capital here if they want to take up PR as a new PR (as opposed to a renewal).

When somebody gets their PR here and then disappears for 4 years or so to another country and comes back long enough to try to slide under the wire to get their REP renewed so they can leave again and leave a bolthole open in Singapore I get a bit steamed. There are people here who want to settle down here for the long term. If the are only going after the job (global citizen? - economic migrant is the correct term) then they should stay here on an EP. If they left they should have given up their PR. I'm afraid we'll have to agree to disagree.

sms

Is this the case with 50 years of age? By the time my REP is up, I'll be 50. I'm really looking to stay here long term and starting up my own business and it will be at least 1-2 years without income. I've got the finances to do it but would not be able to show income.

I'd be really happy if this is the case but is there somewhere I can get the official word?

I shouldn't worry about it, normally a business start up wouldn't be expected to make profit for the first 3 years anyway, so providing you have sufficient funds to live, it is all down to your business plan to show, that you are paying yourself an income that you can survive on, after all you do have to live, it doesn't mean that your business is making profit to get the entrepreneur pass.

So basically you you pay yourself the minimum income, to show that you are not screwing the system anywhere, it's not about tax, but about accountability.....how can you live without income? If employed by your own company, you have to have a place to reside, and you have to eat, this is all costs which come under income paid out.

So the costs have to be declared. You will of course have a significant amount of capital involved in the business, and your breakeven forecast maybe 2 or 3 years away, so it's those costs that keep you alive and sheltered that will be counted as income, if i am not mistaken.

I am not an accountant but I would expect the costs of living to be offset on the business under income, your business plan would probably fail, if you do not declare an income.

sundaymorningstaple

Postby sundaymorningstaple » Sat, 28 Mar 2009 2:41 pm

ksl, you might want to go back a reread the previous post again. What does it need and EntrePass for? He's already a PR.

:oops!: :P

ksl
Governor
Governor

Postby ksl » Sat, 28 Mar 2009 3:12 pm

sundaymorningstaple wrote:ksl, you might want to go back a reread the previous post again. What does it need and EntrePass for? He's already a PR.

:oops!: :P
Oops yes of course, sorry!

maneo
Reporter
Reporter

Postby maneo » Wed, 01 Apr 2009 5:40 am

Saint wrote:
maneo wrote:I was able to renew mine after being away for 4 years straight on a 5 year REP, even though I was still employed overseas by a non-SG firm at the time.

May I perhaps make a bold and probably rash assumption that you may be married to a local?

You may assume that, but you would be wrong.
:P

Had to do this all on my own.

[edited to fix grammar]
Last edited by maneo on Fri, 03 Apr 2009 2:42 am, edited 1 time in total.

DimWit Kid
Chatter
Chatter

Postby DimWit Kid » Thu, 02 Apr 2009 1:26 am

sundaymorningstaple wrote:Moses, your obsfucation did not answer my question did it. You are one of those people that "if you can't dazzle them with brilliance the baffle them with BS" types. Are you in Marketing by chance? :P

Hey hey that's uncalled for!!!! Not all marketer full of BS!!! You discriminative old HR man!! :P

Btw I renewed my PR in mid 2008 and still do 10 years.. I heard they're trying to take in less foreigners nowadays but I have no idea they also shorten the REP validity!

sundaymorningstaple

Postby sundaymorningstaple » Thu, 02 Apr 2009 10:53 am

:mrgreen: :P

Yeah, mine was as well, but I had a look at the new renewal form and it no longer has the 5 or 10 years option on it. Only five years now. Not sure when it changed though.

Sorry about the Mktg dig.... :wink:

BUT I NOTICE YOU MENTION "NOT ALL" SO THAT MUST MEAN "A LOT ARE"? :P