Singapore Expats Forum

Re-Entry Permit Validity

Relocating, travelling or planning to make Singapore home? Discuss the criterias, passes or visa that is required.
moses_prasad

Postby moses_prasad » Thu, 05 Mar 2009 8:02 am

SMS,
Can you question?

Do you think you have a question?

Sorry man...

sundaymorningstaple

Postby sundaymorningstaple » Thu, 05 Mar 2009 8:31 am

:mrgreen: See what I mean?

Segue
Regular
Regular

Postby Segue » Tue, 10 Mar 2009 1:05 pm

sundaymorningstaple wrote:Rob, you are exactly right. Once you reach 50 years of age, you are no longer required to have a employment sponsor to renew your re-entry permit. (it would seem also that you were also one of the last to slide in under the old 10 pass elgibility - it's now 5 years across the board, 10 years is no longer an option. They've even taken it off the Form 6 renewal form.

However, while existing PR's have this benefit, new PR's don't. I think they require a large injection of capital here if they want to take up PR as a new PR (as opposed to a renewal).

When somebody gets their PR here and then disappears for 4 years or so to another country and comes back long enough to try to slide under the wire to get their REP renewed so they can leave again and leave a bolthole open in Singapore I get a bit steamed. There are people here who want to settle down here for the long term. If the are only going after the job (global citizen? - economic migrant is the correct term) then they should stay here on an EP. If they left they should have given up their PR. I'm afraid we'll have to agree to disagree.

sms

Is this the case with 50 years of age? By the time my REP is up, I'll be 50. I'm really looking to stay here long term and starting up my own business and it will be at least 1-2 years without income. I've got the finances to do it but would not be able to show income.

I'd be really happy if this is the case but is there somewhere I can get the official word?

sundaymorningstaple

Postby sundaymorningstaple » Tue, 10 Mar 2009 6:07 pm

Seque,

I maybe should have been a little clearer on hindsight. I cannot find it in writing but this is what I was told by the ICA officer who handled my last REP renewal. However, it appear that that only applies for those on family ties and not those under the Professionals/Technical Personnel & Skilled Workers Scheme. It was my understanding at the time though that it applied to all but I may have misunderstood as my PR was based on family ties so maybe the officer was referring specifically to my situation.

To answer a lot of other question regarding this though I will reprint these notes regarding REPs;

Who may apply

1. A Singapore Permanent Resident (SPR) who wishes to leave Singapore must obtain a Re-Entry Permit (REP) to enable him/her to return to Singapore as a SPR. A SPR who remains outside Singapore without a valid REP will lose his/her PR status.

7. Proof of employment in Singapore (this is applicable to applicants who had obtained their SPR status under the Professionals/Technical Personnel & Skilled Workers Scheme):
(a) Applicants who are employees:
(i) A letter (issued not more than one month ago) from the employer addressed to the Controller of Immigration, stating the date of employment, position held & monthly salary;
(ii) A statement from the CPF Board showing the CPF Contribution History for the last 12 months; and
(iii) Income Tax Notices of Assessment for the last 3 years.

8. An applicant who obtained SPR status under the sponsorship of his/her SC or SPR spouse is required to produce their original marriage certificate and the Singapore identity card of the SC/SPR spouse.

Reinstatement of SPR status
15. A SPR will lose his/her PR status if he/she travels out of Singapore or remains outside Singapore without a valid REP. On his/her return to Singapore, he/she may report to the Permanent Resident Services Centre, ICA, to apply for reinstatement of the SPR status. If the reinstatement is approved, an administrative fee of S$50 will be levied.

National Service Liability
16. Under the Enlistment Act, all male Singapore Citizens and Permanent Residents (PRs) are liable to register for National Service (NS) upon reaching 16½ years old. They are required to serve 2 years of full-time NS at 18 years old, followed by 40 days of Operationally Ready National Service per year till the age of 50 years (for officers) or 40 years (for other ranks).

17. Main applicants who are granted PR status under the first generation Professionals, Technical Personnel and Skilled Workers Scheme or the Investor Scheme are exempted from NS. Male children who are granted PR status under their parents’ sponsorship are liable for NS upon reaching 16½ years old.

18. NS-liable PRs are expected to serve NS. Should they renounce or lose their PR status without serving or completing full-time NS, this would have an adverse impact on any application by them to work or study in Singapore.

19. Male ex-Singapore Citizens and ex-Singapore Permanent Residents who are granted Singapore PR status are liable to be called up for NS regardless of the type of PR status they are granted. For further enquiries, please write to:-
Central Manpower Base
CMPB Podium
3, Depot Road
Singapore 109680
Contact number(s) : 1800-3676767 (local) 65-65676767 (overseas)

Important Notes
20. ICA may share your personal information with other Government agencies to process any applications you have made or to render you a service, so as to serve you in an efficient and effective way, unless such sharing is prohibited by legislation.

I'm still investigating and if I can find it in black & white I'll post it or the link here.

sms

RobSg
Regular
Regular

Postby RobSg » Fri, 13 Mar 2009 3:56 am

It's my impression from friends also PR's that at a certain age you renew your PR by simply showing your IC card, and no more. I have an American friend who is in her 60's like me, and she and her husband spend 2/3 of the year in the states and the about three or four months in Singapore relaxing. They've had their PR renewed twice under that scheme.

I still have 8 more years on my PR. I'm enjoying doing some meaningful volunteer work in nearby countries, but I certainly plan on returning to Singapore and taking up a more relaxed lifestyle.

The Singapore government is not trying to attract expat-retirees, but it is happy to let older PR's retire here after they have contributed significantly to Singapore. However, even after I am back in Singapore, you can bet I will teach or tutor part-time.

Rob

sundaymorningstaple

Postby sundaymorningstaple » Fri, 13 Mar 2009 7:06 am

Rob, that's exactly what the officer told me. I'm also in my 60's. It was when I explained to them why I went 15 months without renewing my expired REP that they explained that I didn't need to do that as I was over 55 and it was no longer necessary once you pass that age. I'd say there must be some truth to it then. (It might be one of those things that are not published as it might cause an influx of retirees on top of a rapidly greying population already here.

maneo
Reporter
Reporter

Postby maneo » Mon, 16 Mar 2009 5:01 pm

sundaymorningstaple wrote:It might be one of those things that are not published as it might cause an influx of retirees on top of a rapidly greying population already here.

Hey, I resemble that remark!

unbelievable

Postby unbelievable » Tue, 24 Mar 2009 8:57 pm

You people are unbelievable! Why don't you just answer the question and keep your wicked opinion to yourself? How do you know the man's collecting PR in each and every country? This forum is supposed to ANSWER questions, and not JUDGE people because of the questions they post here. And you call yourself EXPATS? The Expats I know of are gracious people, people with manners. Obviously, you don't have it! It sucks having to deal with people like you... gosh! Remember, the poor guy is just asking questions! How do you know if he has intentions of cheating ICA or Singapore in general? What are you? gods??? Reading the intention of the people here? You're sooooo unbelievably RUDE!!! Go get some manners, you smart asses!!!

unbelievable

Postby unbelievable » Tue, 24 Mar 2009 9:03 pm

As for you, Mr. Prassad sir, I suggest you send an email to ICA so you could get straight answers from the Authority itself. As you may already know, some of the guys who have replied to your question here ARE NOT the right people to talk to. They're mouths are itchy to throw crap to people like you who innocently asks a question and you get cruel accusations in return. I tried sending an email to ICA in the past when I was out in Singapore, and they sent me a comprehensive reply despite almost 2 weeks of waiting. But at least I got the right answer to my questions (and I didn't have to deal with crappy people like some of them here).

sundaymorningstaple

Postby sundaymorningstaple » Tue, 24 Mar 2009 10:02 pm

unbelievable,

You certainly are. :roll:

Seems I may have hit a raw nerve as well. Was it the term sub-continent or the collecting of PR's or the general abusing of the system here that touched on you as well. Or was it all three? Let me see now, you are posting from a US IP address of a well known communications company so therefore my guess is that you are probably into IT or Telecommunications which means a very good possibility you are from the sub-continent and could feasibly have Singapore PR and your REP is coming up for renewal as well. Am I close? :P

If I'm not close, then my first paragraph applies for sure. :lol:

bogdang

Postby bogdang » Wed, 25 Mar 2009 3:51 pm

susndaymorningstaple wrote:They dont' want to cheat, the want to know the rules.

That is the biggest crock of crap I've seen so far. They knew the rules when they took up PR. They want to know how far they can bend the rules and still manage to keep a bolt-hole here. full stop! I've been here too long and and HR Manager too long for you overly simplistic statement to wash. Sorry.

If they didn't want to abuse the system they would have stayed on an EP and left when they finished their jobs. Those who abuse the system at the expense of those who actually desire PR for the reason it was designed, I can only hope are caught out and shut out. After all, they are not contributing to the economy anyway. At least in a meaningful way.

We'll just have to agree to disagree on this one.

sms

[how come I can modify sms's posting, what happened to my original posting??]

susndaymorningstaple wrote:My apologies, as I apparently deleted it due to hitting the edit button instead of hitting the quote button. - sms
Last edited by bogdang on Thu, 26 Mar 2009 11:35 am, edited 1 time in total.

Saint
Director
Director

Postby Saint » Wed, 25 Mar 2009 6:09 pm

The ICA has clearly published the documentation that is required when applying to renew your REP. You could probably assume that these can be deemed rules/requirements.

If people don't meet the requirements and are refused the renewal of their REP by the ICA, that's the rules. What more can be said?

bogdang

Postby bogdang » Thu, 26 Mar 2009 11:23 am

Is it just me or there is something wrong with the bboard? I don't see my posting, instead I see sms's posting under my name..

bogdang

Postby bogdang » Thu, 26 Mar 2009 11:34 am

That is the biggest crock of crap I've seen so far. They knew the rules when they took up PR.

So what is the rule for renewing the re-entry permit?
You have to have been continuously employed for the last 3 years in SG??
So is it ok to leave for 2 years immediately after approval and then come back and fulfill the next 3 years? Can you have breaks in the 3 year period?
What if you leave for 2 years and 3 months? I can post 20 more questions like that.

The example of clear rules would be the Canadian system, where as far as I know you simply have to accumulate 2 years of “residency days”

Saint
Director
Director

Postby Saint » Thu, 26 Mar 2009 12:17 pm

bogdang wrote:

That is the biggest crock of crap I've seen so far. They knew the rules when they took up PR.

So what is the rule for renewing the re-entry permit?
You have to have been continuously employed for the last 3 years in SG??
So is it ok to leave for 2 years immediately after approval and then come back and fulfill the next 3 years? Can you have breaks in the 3 year period?
What if you leave for 2 years and 3 months? I can post 20 more questions like that.

The example of clear rules would be the Canadian system, where as far as I know you simply have to accumulate 2 years of “residency days”