Singapore Expats

Re-Entry Permit Validity

Relocating, travelling or planning to make Singapore home? Discuss the criterias, passes or visa that is required.
moses_prasad

Post by moses_prasad » Fri, 27 Feb 2009 9:42 am

Hope you are all not able to understand my query. Its nothing to do with whether i am in singapore or not.

My Query is very straight forward. If a person(PR) WHOSE IS LIVING IN SINGAPORE forgets or may be didnt renew his rentry permit, then what is his/her status in singapore? is he a PR or should he leave the country because he does have the Reentry permit?

Reentry permit is the permit or authority which is given toa person(PR) if he wishes to entry singapore as PR (as far as i know) ..

Instead of throwing blames or about what i did, if you have any thoughts about what i asked , please reply to this query else , please keep away.

Saint
Director
Director

Post by Saint » Fri, 27 Feb 2009 9:47 am

If you can be bothered to read some of the previous replies you will see SMS has already fully answered your questions

durain
Director
Director

Post by durain » Fri, 27 Feb 2009 10:33 am

some people thinks we are a bunch of ICA staff moonlighting in this forum. :P :)

Jeppo
Chatter
Chatter

Post by Jeppo » Fri, 27 Feb 2009 10:34 am

sundaymorningstaple wrote:Once you are in Singapore you can stay here forever without an REP if you so desire
If that doesn't answer your question, then maybe you should visit a neurologist and tell them you may be suffering from brain damage :devil:

moses_prasad

Post by moses_prasad » Fri, 27 Feb 2009 12:27 pm

Jeppo, you are excellent man. To the point you answered. Keep it up and thanks

sundaymorningstaple
Answers: 21

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Fri, 27 Feb 2009 1:48 pm

moses_prasad wrote:Jeppo, you are excellent man. To the point you answered. Keep it up and thanks
Had you bothered to read my post in the first place, you wouldn't have had to look like an i*******e by asking the same question that had already been answered. One can only hope this government wises up and tightens up the entry requirements as ones like you are definitely undesirable. You will NOT strengthen the gene pool here if this thread is anything to go by. :roll:
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

RobSg
Regular
Regular

Singapore PR

Post by RobSg » Fri, 27 Feb 2009 9:47 pm

I can appreciate the attitude of long term PR's in Singapore not liking people becoming a PR and then leaving the country. I can also appreciate how the other person feels. If education or job opportunity comes open in another country, it's understandable that he take advatage of that. Isn't that what being a global citizen is? I'm not sure if I would characterize it in the terms you have.

I was a teacher in Singapore for 19 years as a PR, and decided to leave Singapore at the beginning of my 10 year renewal of my REP. I wanted to do some volunteering in some third world countries, which is what I'm doing now in my retirement. When I renewed my PR this last year, I was told that after 10 years (2018) when I renewd my PR I would only need to bring my passport and PR card, and nothing else. I get the feeling that the gov't does not care about retirees living in Singapore and whether they pay taxes or not. I think we're in a different status.

If the person in question wants to come back to Singapore as a PR, I hope he succeeds. He might bring some new skills he acquired abroad and contribute to Singapore.

Cheers,
Rob

sundaymorningstaple

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Fri, 27 Feb 2009 11:24 pm

Rob, you are exactly right. Once you reach 50 years of age, you are no longer required to have a employment sponsor to renew your re-entry permit. (it would seem also that you were also one of the last to slide in under the old 10 pass elgibility - it's now 5 years across the board, 10 years is no longer an option. They've even taken it off the Form 6 renewal form.

However, while existing PR's have this benefit, new PR's don't. I think they require a large injection of capital here if they want to take up PR as a new PR (as opposed to a renewal).

When somebody gets their PR here and then disappears for 4 years or so to another country and comes back long enough to try to slide under the wire to get their REP renewed so they can leave again and leave a bolthole open in Singapore I get a bit steamed. There are people here who want to settle down here for the long term. If the are only going after the job (global citizen? - economic migrant is the correct term) then they should stay here on an EP. If they left they should have given up their PR. I'm afraid we'll have to agree to disagree.

sms
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

jpatokal

Post by jpatokal » Tue, 03 Mar 2009 10:39 pm

Q for other self-employed PRs out there: the bulk of my income is Sg corporate dividends, which are not personally taxable and thus don't show up in my tax returns. How does ICA deal with this? I do, of course, have the dividend statements showing how much I've earned...
Vaguely heretical thoughts on travel technology at Gyrovague

moses_prasad

Post by moses_prasad » Tue, 03 Mar 2009 11:47 pm

take this Q out of this forum as its dealing with only reEntry Permit Renewal

moses_prasad

Post by moses_prasad » Wed, 04 Mar 2009 12:00 am

SMS,

You should be thinking as a global citizen and not a resident for one COUNTRY for ever thinking that you are a patriot or serving the country better. Its always better to have good and better talent for the country to prosper. PR's who have got an opportunity to work in advanced countries like US , UK or Australia are being recognised globally which is a great thing for singapore itself because we (PR's) represent singapore skills in the global market.

After some time, if a PR wants to come back to SG , he will definitely bring back the talent to SG which is very much beneficial for the growth of the country. Who knows he might bring business to SG and provides opportunities to SG citizens or PR's?

We need to be mindful of the talent coming into the SG and not just be a frog in the well always thinking that the well as the only existing world. I pity those people.

But i love my singapore.

sundaymorningstaple

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Wed, 04 Mar 2009 6:23 pm

moses_prasad wrote:take this Q out of this forum as its dealing with only reEntry Permit Renewal
Who died and left you boss?

This is not a heavily moderated forum like the Strictly Speaking forum so I guess you are going to have to just suck it up. Sorry. It can stay.

In reply to your last post. You are a good representative of the mememe generation for sure. One can only hope that eventually payback will reign supreme. You were given PR because the Government thought you were bringing something to the country. You left shortly thereafter and only want to return long enough to renew it again. What are you bringing to the country? Nothing that I can see.

jpatokal

Post by jpatokal » Wed, 04 Mar 2009 11:03 pm

moses_prasad wrote:take this Q out of this forum as its dealing with only reEntry Permit Renewal
:???:

My question is about REP renewal, namely, how to prove income when it doesn't show up on my tax statements!
Vaguely heretical thoughts on travel technology at Gyrovague

moses_prasad

Post by moses_prasad » Thu, 05 Mar 2009 12:11 am

jpa, you cannot show the income i guess .

SMS, if you cannot see anything , you cannot understand because blindness will cover you up. But intelligent people understands very much that people who have gone abroad to more advanced countries will definitely bring skills which is beneficial to the country. If you dont agree then you can never grow. All the best for your growth.

sundaymorningstaple

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Thu, 05 Mar 2009 6:57 am

Moses, your obsfucation did not answer my question did it. You are one of those people that "if you can't dazzle them with brilliance the baffle them with BS" types. Are you in Marketing by chance? :P