Singapore Expats Forum

Re-Entry Permit Validity

Relocating, travelling or planning to make Singapore home? Discuss the criterias, passes or visa that is required.
moses_prasad

Re-Entry Permit Validity

Postby moses_prasad » Thu, 19 Feb 2009 2:25 am

Hi All,

I am a SPR and my Re-Entry permit is valid till Jul 2009 and working in USA currently. I applied for Re-Entry renewal in Jan 2009 this year and was rejected.

My question is , if i get back to singapore now as my REP is valid till july 2009 , will i retain my SPR status ? First of all can i enter singapore as a PR now???

If they allow me to enter as PR now and once my REP expires , can i stay in singapore as PR or should i leave singapore immediately?

Any Ideas on this ?

Moses

sundaymorningstaple

Postby sundaymorningstaple » Thu, 19 Feb 2009 11:44 pm

Apparently they are aware you are not working in Singapore. Therefore to put it bluntly, you're stuffed and rightly so.

Additionally, please to not spam your message to multiple threads. We frown upon that here.

maneo
Reporter
Reporter

Postby maneo » Fri, 20 Feb 2009 12:53 am

Did they give you a reason for why they rejected your renewal?
Did you happen to state on the form that you did not have a job in SG and had no idea when you would be returning or intention to do so?

Unless they asked you to return your PR ID, you should be able to return as a PR while your REP is valid.

If you can come to SG so easily, why haven't you done so?

If you don't wish to stay here, why do you need the PR?

Saint
Director
Director

Postby Saint » Fri, 20 Feb 2009 1:15 pm

What part of the words "Permanent" and "Resident" are you having problems understanding???

sundaymorningstaple

Postby sundaymorningstaple » Sat, 21 Feb 2009 12:07 am

This seems to be a favourit hobby with some of our sub-continent friends. They have a bad habit of trying to collect PR's of various countries. Hopefully, they will get caught out one day and all shipped home to stay permanently for being so greedy. :roll:

durain
Director
Director

Postby durain » Sat, 21 Feb 2009 12:30 am

i guessed it's like having a wife but also having someone else at the side for backup. :P :)

moses_prasad

Postby moses_prasad » Sat, 21 Feb 2009 12:56 am

Hi All,

thanks you very much for all your comments.

these are encouraging for me . but one thing is not cleared.

Lets say i enter singapore before july 2009, and stay there. My REP expires july 2009 . what is my status ? will i be a PR or should i leave the country as my REP expired?

Moses

sundaymorningstaple

Postby sundaymorningstaple » Sat, 21 Feb 2009 1:45 am

Once you are in Singapore you can stay here forever without an REP if you so desire (I did so for 15 months once between 2004 & 2005). But if you leave Singapore without a REP your PR is cancelled. So this means once here, without the REP you cannot even go to Johor Bahru or Batam without losing your PR. Even if you Apply for your REP, with out the requisite tax statements for the last three years, you will be denied a reentry permit and who knows, they may well revoke your PR when you actually apply for the REP for trying to pull a fast one on the government. (One can only hope so anyway!).

If you are wondering, I dislike those people who take up allotments for PR even those they have no intentions of staying here, thereby taking it away from somebody else who actually wants to settle down here. :x

sms

moses_prasad

Postby moses_prasad » Sat, 21 Feb 2009 1:50 am

Hi ,
Thanks for the post. What do you mean by tax assessments? do you mean that because i am outside singapore and not earning in singapore , i dont pay taxes ??? i have filled in forms for assessment but with zero income as i didnt have any income for two yrs. but IRAS sent me assessment forms.

Moses

moses_prasad

Postby moses_prasad » Sun, 22 Feb 2009 3:49 am

Hi SundayMorningStaple,

did you face any problems in job while you didnt have the reentry permit? what did the ica say when you went to them in 2005(after 15 months of expiry of Reentry permit)?

Moses

sundaymorningstaple

Postby sundaymorningstaple » Sun, 22 Feb 2009 9:41 pm

What can they say? I had to submit my Passport for the Reentry chop so they could see that I hadn't been out of the country during that time. Big difference than staying OUT OF THE COUNTRY and then coming back to try to pull a fast one on ICA! I was OUT OF WORK. Not collecting PR's all over the world. Those types deserve to get shut down. It's your type that give expats a bad name. [-X

moses_prasad

Postby moses_prasad » Fri, 27 Feb 2009 12:51 am

Any other ideas ????

maneo
Reporter
Reporter

Postby maneo » Fri, 27 Feb 2009 8:38 am

Since you haven't earned any income in SG, you haven't had to pay any taxes. That's what your IRAS assessments would show.
It also seems that you have not made any other apparent contribution to the SG economy or its well-being.

So, what reason should the powers that be here have to allow you to continue to be a PR and give you an REP?
:-s

moses_prasad

Postby moses_prasad » Fri, 27 Feb 2009 9:08 am

But i have contributed to CPF.

What is the status of a person who is in Singapore without having a REP???

What is REP mean? how is it linked to Permanent residence?

Saint
Director
Director

Postby Saint » Fri, 27 Feb 2009 9:24 am

You really haven't got a clue have you. The Singapore Government doesn't want people like you who pick and choose when it suits you to be a PR, once again, what part of the words "Permanent" and "Resident" are you still having problems understanding??

Yes you might have paid CPF in the past, so just take it out and do us all a favour! Rules are Rules and they are there for a reason, exactly to stop this happening kind of thing happening.