Singapore Expats

Motorbike Insurance

Discuss about life in Singapore. Ask about cost of living, housing, travel, etiquette & lifestyle. Share experience & advice with Singaporeans & expat staying in Singapore.
Post Reply
Posts: 1
Joined: Wed, 18 Feb 2009 8:04 pm
Location: Singapore

Motorbike Insurance

Post by DL1 » Wed, 18 Feb 2009 8:36 pm


I'm about to buy a motobike for commuting. I have an Australian license and will convert later this year (within 12 months of arriving). I'm curious about my insurance and my legal "status" while driving on my Australian license. If the "official" position is that your license will only convert to a 2B license (at best) then how do you go
a) legally riding a >400cc bike
b) Insuring the bike (do you need to show license when getting insurance) also, what happens if you have an accident?

Thanks for your help. This is a great forum, I really appreciate your help and experience.


User avatar
Strong Eagle
Posts: 11688
Joined: Sat, 10 Jul 2004 12:13 am
Answers: 10
Location: Off The Red Dot

Post by Strong Eagle » Thu, 19 Feb 2009 1:24 am

You go to some place like NTUC. You show them your valid class 2 unlimited license, plus a passport and EP. They issue you insurance on the bike you purchased after you give them some money.

So, even though your license eventually converts to a class 2b, as long as you are on your Ozzie license you are operating within the law. When time comes to convert, you demonstrate that you can ride an unlimited since you have already been doing it. Unless you are very young or have very little riding experience, your class 2 will be granted.

Having an accident is like anywhere else... you better have insurance and a valid license (and your Oz license is valid for 12 months from date of entry... actually, a bit longer because of the wait times to take the test).

Near as I can tell:

a) A bike shop will sell you whatever you want
b) You can get it insured if you have a valid license for the class... and your Oz license is valid.

User avatar
Posts: 66
Joined: Mon, 16 Feb 2009 7:51 pm
Location: Jurong Singapore

Post by Dealer » Thu, 19 Feb 2009 8:14 pm


I miss my bikes (Under cover in the UK - Suzuki GSF1200S & HD Sportster 1200) and would love a Honda 400 just to get about on. Is that the bike you are going to buy, if it is keep us informed please as how you get on as I may be buying one soon.

Posts: 3
Joined: Mon, 26 Jan 2009 8:09 pm

Post by cAndyman » Sun, 22 Feb 2009 6:00 pm

To those interested,

With the same issue and abit of homework done (thanks to SE!) I've done a tour around local dealerships yesterday. Visited Mah at Serangoon rd, Loois at Kaki Bukit pl. and everbright motorcycles at Eunos ave. 5. Below are the insurance rates quoted by Mah for my considerable options (NTUC insurance for international license as he described, provided I'm 28 yrs.):

$1.468K - for an Aprilia RS125
$1.916K - for an Yamaha R6

Surprizingly enough, I've been quoted the same price for the R6 (machine only price) at Mah and Everbright (S$17.8K), no bargain. Anyone can comment the price? I really think it's OK and close to US prices. The dealer at Mah confirmed that within 12 months it's OK to ride any bike and after it's a matter of luck. Others could not comment much.

Now I'm in deep thoughts whether to chase my luck and get an R6 (which I've just sold back home) and enjoy it for a year at least or get a moped thing from the start...

Quick question to experts - how does police actually track your 12 months? Does one have to present his passport with a stamp or something?

Post Reply
  • Similar Topics
    Last post

Return to “Staying, Living in Singapore”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 6 guests