Singapore Expats Forum

My baby citizenship

Announcements, promotions, news, help. Ask about registrations, avatars, PM and others. Post all your forum and Singapore Expats site related questions here.
nunnun

My baby citizenship

Postby nunnun » Wed, 18 Feb 2009 5:42 pm

I am pregnant and haven't married yet. My boyfriend is Singaporean and I am Singapore PR. If a child is born before our marriage, what citizenship will our baby hold?

sundaymorningstaple

Postby sundaymorningstaple » Thu, 19 Feb 2009 12:50 am

First of all, it will be your baby and secondly, it will have your citizenship as you are not legally married.

Bafana

Postby Bafana » Thu, 19 Feb 2009 10:17 am

From when we registered our baby I noticed that it is possible to register a child as a Siungaporean as long as one of the parents listed on the Birth Certificate is Singaporean. Suggest a qucik visit to ICA is your best bet for clarification as I have a different understanding than SMS.
Be Like Water

sundaymorningstaple

Postby sundaymorningstaple » Thu, 19 Feb 2009 10:36 pm

If they were legally married I would agree with you.

But under the circumstances the father would probably have to do DNA testing in order to make the kid a Local. Course if the baby is a boy they would fall all over themselves to make the kid a Singaporean for NS cannon fodder later. As they are not married, the "father" doesn't have any claim to the baby unless he can prove he is either married or the actual father. As the mother isn't Singaporean it wouldn't make sense to cause a problem that could crop up with the kid having Singaporean Citizenship and the mother not having same and the Boyfriend doing a runner leaving her stranded.

But I would agree with Baf, in view of the fact that I cannot find a definitive answer, a trip or call to ICA sounds like it might be in order.

QRM
Manager
Manager

Postby QRM » Sun, 29 Mar 2009 8:55 pm

onthink wrote:You had better get married with your boyfriend, then your child will have a dad.

The fact that the baby exist proves it has a dad #-o, I know a number of people who have kids and not married, why get married if they don't want to?

There have been a number of cases where couples co-habit for years and in some case for decades, but the moment they get married it ends in divorce a few years later.