Singapore Expats Forum

baby hamper business

Discuss your views about Singapore business & economy, current policies & issues, starting a business in Singapore.
chixchix
Editor
Editor

baby hamper business

Postby chixchix » Mon, 16 Feb 2009 7:51 pm

hii its chix chix again :) well lets see.. ok ..someone I know is a stay at home mum..now she is thinking of opening a baby hamper business online, meaning that, she will open her own hamper company,best products with reasonable rates, intended for those who wish to send baby hampers to any new parents or someone else.

Well ,my question what do you think of this business, do you think it will be profitable in the long run ? of course, starting it ,will involve lots of marketing etc.
Please comment. Thanks in advance !
Always have a smile on that face!

sierra2469alpha
Editor
Editor

Postby sierra2469alpha » Mon, 16 Feb 2009 7:55 pm

Chix - given that it's been done time and time again over the world, unless your friend can get decent products at sutiable prices with reasonable transport costs - plus make margin, then, sorry to rain on her parade. It's a "been there, done that"

HTH your friend, P

Thaiclan
Chatter
Chatter

Postby Thaiclan » Tue, 17 Feb 2009 5:15 am

The fact that its all ready being done needn't put her off, it just means she needs to bring something special to the market. Its not all about cost of hamper but what it contains and how it is put together. Maybe niche products (organic hemp for example), or maybe a combined hamper that offers nice things for both mother and baby - or even for dad too.
When you have a product or service that isn't being done already it is not necessarily a good thing, it could mean that there is no market for it. However when you can bring something extra to an existing product then you already know the size of your market.
I had a baby 12 weeks ago and I received many gifts and hampers, some were ok some were poor, none at all were "great".
Its also a great business to do from home.
Good Luck!

chixchix
Editor
Editor

Postby chixchix » Wed, 18 Feb 2009 8:30 am

yeah the best thing is to do homework and compare all the hampers in the market .. :)

ksl
Governor
Governor

Postby ksl » Wed, 18 Feb 2009 9:27 am

chixchix wrote:yeah the best thing is to do homework and compare all the hampers in the market .. :)

The idea is good enough, although there is much work to do, to make it successful, preparation being the major factor, research of competitors, products, and suppliers, not forgetting the technical hindrance's like food& safety laws, which you must be on the ball with, otherwise a fine or product recall could bankrupt you.

Believe me there are many products on the market in Singapore that are illegally placed and it only takes a businessman that knows better than you, to have you removed from the competition to gain market share.

You need to find out the birth rate in Singapore, forget about selling outside of the Country, it will be far too expensive I would think, based on me sending a 5kg parcel to the Middle East, the cost was almost 400$, so a hamper is normally quite heavy.

Competition is very good, to stimulate your mind on how to be better. So you really need to focus on a niche, that stands out from the rest of the hampers. I presume you maybe talking of initial birth, up too a certain age group. So cost is important, if you try to spread yourself to wide, you will have cash flow problems.

Keep to initial birth hampers maybe first, to test the field, you may even want to offer birthday packs or something special for a loved one.

It doesn't matter that their are many in the market competing, if you are confident of taking market share away from the others, but remember everyone should have the same idea, and it costs a great deal of money to market products, So you may want to look into a joint venture, with a manufacturer or wholesaler of baby products, to cover 50% of marketing costs, it is in their interest too, to sell the goods. So it needs to be a win win discussion.

Good luck! There is lots to do, before even considering a product launch!

chixchix
Editor
Editor

Postby chixchix » Wed, 18 Feb 2009 12:50 pm

Thanks !! oh yeah ,even selling baby hampers ,do we need to sign up for some special license ??? :???: well its not going to contain food products though.

ksl
Governor
Governor

Postby ksl » Thu, 19 Feb 2009 1:41 am

chixchix wrote:Thanks !! oh yeah ,even selling baby hampers ,do we need to sign up for some special license ??? :???: well its not going to contain food products though.
There are business procedures to follow, one of them will be technical hindrances, that may cause you delay, more cost, ect ect. Even bankruptcy if a product recall is done because of safety. So no short cuts! I have no idea what you put in a hamper, the only thing i know is a business check list, go by the book to minimise your risk, that is your bible for survival.

Technical hindrances can mean a number of bureaucratic department's rules, that could be costly or cause delay if not done before start up. and they cover health & safety checks and to ensure that products conform to set standards of Singapore. Doesn't have to be food, it can be a number of things, for example is the car headlights and reflectors are higher on the car in Europe, they would have to be lowered to Singapore standards, rules and regulations. If it's a kiddies toy car from China, you have to be sure the paint is not lead based, because of posioning, the same for paint in the house. health & safety cover many products.

sierra2469alpha
Editor
Editor

Postby sierra2469alpha » Thu, 19 Feb 2009 5:10 pm

Chix - following on from my and others previous posts, some new intel. to hand - not sure if it helps, though:

1. Today we received by letter drop a catalogue for a local firm (I have not posted the URL as I don't want to give them free advertising, but I'm sure nobody will mind me PM'ing it to you should your friend wish to have a look). Anyway, amongst other things, they do catering, cakes, flowers, and baby hampers (and funeral gifts - go figure). They offer free delivery islandwide for orders over $SGD 60.

2. Has your friend thought about using eBay's own shopfront facilities - this would save on the costs of opening a retail store. As KSL says, shipping is expensive, but at least you have access to a wider market.

3. DHL have some specials on at the moment - suggest you check them out.

HTH, Mr. P

chixchix
Editor
Editor

Postby chixchix » Fri, 20 Feb 2009 10:17 pm

actually she just wants to cater to the local market.What she wants to put in the hamper will be things like tonic for mummy, something for daddy and baby clothes or toys... and maybe something more diferent.

It will be a 1 man show at first with some help from others. But what are the procedures to do when you make a website, and you want to enable others to pay online to buy your product...you know something like the "Buy Now" thing ..

Strong Eagle

Postby Strong Eagle » Fri, 20 Feb 2009 10:40 pm

Daddy would definitely like a litre of Johnny Walker Black.

ksl
Governor
Governor

Postby ksl » Fri, 20 Feb 2009 11:11 pm

Strong Eagle wrote:Daddy would definitely like a litre of Johnny Walker Black.
Now that may just stimulate the buying process a little. :)

chixchix
Editor
Editor

Postby chixchix » Sun, 22 Feb 2009 10:36 am

hey yeah a little nice something for the daddy ..anyways, dunno if the mummies will get upset since this is supposed to be a baby hamper :wink:

pills

Postby pills » Fri, 27 Feb 2009 12:28 am

i think it may do well if u get the right way to doing it.

my friend just started this website that does hamper too and country style home furnishing:

http://www.kalescloset.blogspot.com

check it out when 're free!

lore

Postby lore » Tue, 28 Apr 2009 11:36 pm

Strong Eagle wrote:Daddy would definitely like a litre of Johnny Walker Black.

Mummy would loves any size of Macallen. LOL

kenni_82

Postby kenni_82 » Sun, 10 May 2009 10:22 pm

well i think business, in the end of the day is research and once ready go out and test the market and from then see what happen and review again..
Kenny Heng
www.hengs-empire.com
-home cook is always best food