Singapore Expats Forum

Trivia - Update from Pinchos and TJ and a poll! :D

Post here to organise an event, gathering, meetup, party. Search for expats from your country, sports partners or meet new friends here!

Frequency of trivia nights

Weekly
100%
Fortnightly
No votes
Monthly
No votes

Total votes: 3

sierra2469alpha
Editor
Editor

Trivia - Update from Pinchos and TJ and a poll! :D

Postby sierra2469alpha » Thu, 12 Feb 2009 10:03 am

Fellow trivia goers...an update from Pinchos and TJ:

I just had a phone call from Andre, who has spoken with TJ. They are considering a change to the format (5 rounds of 10 questions) with the winner of each round receiving (at this stage) a bucket of those beers, then the overall winner gets vouchers etc.

I expressed a concern that it can turn into an expensive night (something we've highlighted to them before) and Andre says they are looking at a way that if a registered team is competing, the drink discounts we negotiated will be extended to food also.

We also had a discussion about timings, and I suggested I'd sound everyone out. One concern is that it's getting a bit thin, and it was suggested maybe they consider having it fortnightly or monthly as that way people can plan around it. I kinda like that idea, mainly because of the cost component also.

So, I've done up a poll so place your votes. That's why I had to start a new thread, sorry!

Also, any other suggestions then please add them to this thread! Let's consolidate them all and hopefully discuss it all next TUE night (and here, of course!)

Cheers all, P & C

Asdracles
Reporter
Reporter

My view

Postby Asdracles » Thu, 12 Feb 2009 5:10 pm

Ok, maybe I was a bit selfish when voting, but I have choosen to keep it weekly.

That's just because I'm not the most regular in the group. So if we do it monthly and I miss it that week because work, I should wait 2 months between sessions.

In this way, ok, not so bad if I miss it any week.

But I understand the concern about the number of people doing it, that maybe doesn't make too interesting for the bar.

Wind In My Hair
Manager
Manager

Postby Wind In My Hair » Sun, 15 Feb 2009 12:49 pm

Hi P, great job trying to sort all this out. Sorry for not replying earlier but I don't frequent this forum plus I really don't know what to vote. My sense is that it's hard to remember if it's not weekly, yet keeping this a weekly option at the current turn-out rate doesn't seem viable.

My vote is to look elsewhere for an ongoing weekly quiz with both a quizmaster and an audience. I mean, it should be something that goes on whether or not we are there instead of us having to keep it going. I'm all for keeping this a fun, optional event which was the original intention. It's starting to feel like too much work right now.

Dave Magoo
Regular
Regular

Well said, WIMH....What say you, the rest of the Motleys...?

Postby Dave Magoo » Sun, 15 Feb 2009 11:12 pm

Don't wanna look like I'm jumping on the bandwagon as such, and may not have particularly valid input anyway as I probably wont be involved much from here on in, but must agree with WIMH that we have essentially lost our way recently in trying to keep something going that really doesn't appear to be a workable situation in its current form.

It may well be time indeed to trawl back through the previous postings to recapture some of the alternatives out there and give them a try to at least act as a benchmark for our future venue selection. A change can indeed be as good as a rest, and it would be good to find somewhere where real 'friendly' competition still exists a la the headier days of Brewerkz.

Maybe we could change the vote to be: 'Stick with Pinchos', 'Test out an alternative or three', or 'Vary our quiz location on a rotation basis'. Just a thought!!

For this vote, I'd also go with the 'once-a-week' option, just to add a clear structure to the whole proceedings!!

Cheers anyway, P. & C, and will do a bit of the spadework on checking out alternatives and post the details on this or the original thread within tomorrow.

Still-Here-Magoo?
One day, lad, all this will be yours....what, the curtains?

Allibert
Chatter
Chatter

Yeah sad

Postby Allibert » Mon, 16 Feb 2009 12:27 am

Good luck with the quiz whatever you decide to do

Alan

Dave Magoo
Regular
Regular

Update on alternatives....

Postby Dave Magoo » Mon, 16 Feb 2009 1:55 pm

Hi again guys.

As promised in my last posting (and through the joys of currently being a 'man of leisure' :cool: ), I've taken a rather sentimental journey through all of our previous postings from the original thread (wow, so much has happened within its rather short lifetime!!) and unearthed a few options that have been mentioned at various points. They are as follows:

1. Turn Styles, 17C Lor Liput, Holland Village (apparently wearing clothes is an optional extra for this one!!)....the quiz is every Tues & poss. Thurs.

2. Old Brown Shoe on Bukit Timah....but quizzes on Weds (to be confirmed)

3. A new quiz from this month at Boomerang Aussie Pub in Robertson Quay.

My instinct is to go for Turn Styles as it is frequently mentioned, is the most established, and meets all of our criteria.

Hope you don't mind me acting independently, but have unearthed their tel. no and am in the process of booking a table for 8-10 people for tomorrow night (I can make it after all....more leavings/comebacks than Frankie...will provide you with a rendition of My Way tomorrow night by way of contrition :oops: ). We can then decide from there if it's to be a fresh start or stick with Pinchos et al.

Let me know what you think!!

Is-he-ever-gonna-leave-Magoo :???:

sierra2469alpha
Editor
Editor

Postby sierra2469alpha » Mon, 16 Feb 2009 2:58 pm

Yeh sounds good Dave...are we all going tomorrow night - maybe at least give them a chance with their new format?

WIMH - noted, thanks :)

Dave Magoo
Regular
Regular

Alternatives...update...

Postby Dave Magoo » Mon, 16 Feb 2009 3:45 pm

No worries, Sierra. For where to go tomorrow, can leave it open to the gallery.

Have found out that Turn Styles is primarily a sports quiz, which I'd be more than happy with, but fear won't appeal to most of the Motleys, so have also checked out Boomerang at Robertson Quay. They have a general trivia quiz tomorrow night.

I've held back on booking for now to see what the opinion of the others is. I think we can book either on the day without any probs.

So, the question of the day is...what say you, Motleys?

- Pinchos for one last effort?

- or Boomerang Aussie Pub at Robertson Quay for a recce of their quiz?

Will check in tomorrow at noon to book either option accordingly, so let me know by then....cheers!!

Magoo

p.s. Here's a write up I found on Boomerang to help you decide:

Boomarang Bistro & Bar Australian. #01-15 The Quayside, 60 Robertson Quay, 6738-1077. Get a piece of the great Aussie outback at this riverside Australian restaurant—and by that we are referring to great meats, wines and beers. On the menu for all-day grazing are the Aussie Tucker Plate ($45) with skewers of tenderly grilled Australian game meats like kangaroo, emu and crocodile, yummy thin crust pizzas ($15-24) and the Wagyu beef burger ($18). Wash it all down with the low-carb Pure Blonde beer. Check out its cool eco-conscious interior too—you might nick an idea or two for your own home. Open Mon-Wed 8am-1am; Thu-Sun 8am-3am.

Wind In My Hair
Manager
Manager

Postby Wind In My Hair » Mon, 16 Feb 2009 9:01 pm

Hey Dave,

Good on you for doing all this legwork! Sorry but will give it a miss this week as I'm feeling under the weather and don't want to pass the bug around. See you next week if you're still around.

Dave Magoo
Regular
Regular

Boomerang it is, then :-)

Postby Dave Magoo » Tue, 17 Feb 2009 9:49 am

Hi guys. To allow a bit more time to spread the word of change of location, I've jumped ahead of the lunchtime deadline and gone ahead to book a table for 8 people at Boomerang as follows:

Boomarang Bistro & Bar Australian.
#01-15 The Quayside,
60 Robertson Quay,
Tel: 6738-1077.

Hope you guys don't mind me going ahead and acting independently, and hope to see you there.

Whoever sees this, please spread the word to other Motleys and new people too (sorry for the late notice, Hope, but hope you're still interested in joining us!!).

Thanks for the tip on the Boomerang Hildegard also :cool:

See you all from 7pm (the quiz seems to start then so please try to get there a bit earlier than Pinchos....although I'll hold the fort in the interim :o )

Magoo