Singapore Expats Forum

Visa Question/minor conviction

Relocating, travelling or planning to make Singapore home? Discuss the criterias, passes or visa that is required.
mrquick

Visa Question/minor conviction

Postby mrquick » Tue, 10 Feb 2009 7:54 pm

Hi,

My sister is looking to move out to Singapore with work, however she has a criminal conviction on her record.

It is minor and it happened 12 years ago. She was given an MS90, basically she got a speeding ticket, but did not reliased as she was travelling for 9 months, when she came back she was convicted of failing to provide information.

Whilst stupid and idiotic both on her part for not fighting it and the conviction, I am wondering if it is going to stop her getting her Visa through work?

Has anyone got any advice or have they been in a similar situation.

Any help would be great?

Regards

MrQ

pakjohn
Chatter
Chatter

Postby pakjohn » Tue, 10 Feb 2009 8:19 pm

A guy at work was granted a EP same time as mine, sept of 07, and had a license suspension with a FTA warrant attached. He mailed the ticket in but apparently the fine didn't make it to the magistrate; he found out a year later when a policeman knocked on his door with a summons.

Not sure of the rules here, but can tell you they didn't seem to flinch at his record. Other than that one mix up he had a clear record.
Pakjohn

ksl
Governor
Governor

Re: Visa Question/minor conviction

Postby ksl » Wed, 11 Feb 2009 2:03 am

mrquick wrote:Hi,

My sister is looking to move out to Singapore with work, however she has a criminal conviction on her record.

It is minor and it happened 12 years ago. She was given an MS90, basically she got a speeding ticket, but did not reliased as she was travelling for 9 months, when she came back she was convicted of failing to provide information.

Whilst stupid and idiotic both on her part for not fighting it and the conviction, I am wondering if it is going to stop her getting her Visa through work?

Has anyone got any advice or have they been in a similar situation.

Any help would be great?

Regards

MrQ
No worries, 5 years and it should be a clean sheet once again, check with local cop shop, request proof of a clean sheet is the best way...if it's still on, you ask why it hasn't been deleted and I'm sure Singapore wouldn't bat an eye lid over it, it was so long ago. But whatever you do, do not lie about it! They will come after you and throw you out, after a stint inside.

mrquick

Postby mrquick » Wed, 11 Feb 2009 6:15 pm

Hi, thanks for the replies it has helped massively.

andrewlondon

Visa

Postby andrewlondon » Mon, 03 Aug 2009 1:56 pm

Were you guys able to get the visa? I had a DUI back in 2006. Hey guys, let me know though its kinda of stressing

ksl
Governor
Governor

Re: Visa

Postby ksl » Thu, 06 Aug 2009 1:40 am

andrewlondon wrote:Were you guys able to get the visa? I had a DUI back in 2006. Hey guys, let me know though its kinda of stressing
Commonsense says no criminals, minor offences are not a real problem unless you are a repeat offender and who wants those type of guys? The UK is finding out the hard way! Stupid beggars!