Singapore Expats Forum

Movie Theatre with the biggest screens?

Discuss about the latest news & interesting topics, real life experience or other out of topic discussions with locals & expatriates in Singapore.

nongice626

Movie Theatre with the biggest screens?

Postby nongice626 » Wed, 04 Feb 2009 10:11 am

I went to one on orchard road and it was half the size of the cinema screens I am used to viewing in Bangkok. Any idea?

skye
Chatter
Chatter

Postby skye » Wed, 04 Feb 2009 2:54 pm

It varies. Within each complex there are usually a couple of big screens, for blockbusters, action movies and new releases. Smaller screens for less popular movies or movies which have been on release for a couple of weeks and aren't packing them in any more. Lido in Orchard has a biggie, Golden Village at Great World has a good one that was built as an IMAX outlet. Easiest way to check if it's on a big screen is to look up the movie chains online - you can see which screen it's showing on from the seating plan and choose your own seats. Try golden village, Cathay and Shaw cinema websites. There are a couple of other cinema chains but those are the main ones in Orchard.

BodyBlitz
Chatter
Chatter

Postby BodyBlitz » Wed, 04 Feb 2009 5:59 pm

Its not profitable to have huge screens and a few shows which take up a lot of space where rent is high and margins are low.

you won't get the same experience with thailand in singapore.
http://bodyblitz.sg - A new era of fitness.

shockcake

Re: Movie Theatre with the biggest screens?

Postby shockcake » Thu, 05 Feb 2009 12:18 pm

nongice626 wrote:I went to one on orchard road and it was half the size of the cinema screens I am used to viewing in Bangkok. Any idea?

You can try Lido 1 (Lido Cineplex) and The Grand Cathay (The Cathay), their screen size should be comparable to the ones you are used to viewing in Bangkok.

jpatokal

Postby jpatokal » Mon, 09 Feb 2009 8:13 pm

Vivocity's "GVmax" screens are 22 meters wide and supposedly among the largest in Asia.
Vaguely heretical thoughts on travel technology at Gyrovague