Singapore Expats Forum

What does this mean?

Discuss about the latest news & interesting topics, real life experience or other out of topic discussions with locals & expatriates in Singapore.

pakjohn
Chatter
Chatter

What does this mean?

Postby pakjohn » Wed, 04 Feb 2009 12:44 am

Watch this video, it provides an amazing perspective of exponential growth and how remarkable technology is.

http://www.flixxy.com/technology-and-education-2008.htm

Really makes me realize how vital the ability to learn is now and even more so in years to come.
Pakjohn

sundaymorningstaple

Postby sundaymorningstaple » Wed, 04 Feb 2009 7:19 am

Some bloody interesting statistics wouldn't you say! Looking at technology that way puts a whole new slant on education AND how much we spend on it seeing most will be out of date before a kid graduates. They shouldn't be teaching technology, but basics, like how to think. Shame they haven't figured out how to teach "common sense" yet.

pakjohn
Chatter
Chatter

Postby pakjohn » Wed, 04 Feb 2009 10:08 am

They shouldn't be teaching technology, but basics, like how to think. Shame they haven't figured out how to teach "common sense" yet.

Exactly right! Before Newt Gingrich quit politics he predicted the slide in education reform would cripple the U.S. once China and India developed their markets. I don't see U.S. dominance as a pinnacle or globalization as a contest, the whole world stands to benefit by every country developing their people.

How do we retain the work ethic of the boomer generation while educating and shaping our kids and grandkids into world class contenders? I'm a little afraid the younger crowd, while being tech savyy, lack the drive and tenacity their parents and grandparents had. No offense meant to our younger forum members. Hardly blame them, they've been bombarded with poor diets, indulgent entertainment and very little reward for diligence at school. (talking about U.S. kids here)

I voted Obama (and I'm a lifelong Republican), primarily due to his ability to inspire. Regans biggest resource was his charisma and ability to inspire and he's the last Republican President I voted for. If President Obama can get through the next 2 years with out sliding into the bipartisan slime in Washington, we may have a chance.
Pakjohn