Singapore Expats

How to clean marble floors

Discuss about the latest news & interesting topics, real life experience or other out of topic discussions with locals & expatriates in Singapore.
ozchick
Editor
Editor

How to clean marble floors

Post by ozchick » Tue, 03 Feb 2009 3:10 pm

A cumquat (citrus fruit) fell from our little tree onto the marble floor during the night. It burst and left a stain that won't lift with ordinary cleaning products. Anyone know what to do for this? Is it maybe that acidic stains aren't repairable?
'Are you trying to tempt me because I come from the land of plenty?'

sierra2469alpha
Editor
Editor

Post by sierra2469alpha » Tue, 03 Feb 2009 3:40 pm

Oz - first rule of thumb - white vinegar. P

durain
Director
Director

Post by durain » Tue, 03 Feb 2009 5:25 pm

re: vineger- where's ksl when you need him. :P

ozchick
Editor
Editor

Post by ozchick » Tue, 03 Feb 2009 6:29 pm

OK P and C I can do that! Thanks!

Forks
Chatter
Chatter

Post by Forks » Tue, 03 Feb 2009 11:38 pm

What kind of fruit of evil wont come off a marble floor with cleaning products, and do you want to eat it?

OZchick whatya got growing there?
Poking, poking everywhere...

cbavasi
Reporter
Reporter

Post by cbavasi » Wed, 04 Feb 2009 8:03 am

You can try mixing baking soda with water to make a paste and then let it dry completely over the stain. This may absorb whatever seeped into the marble and pull it out. After it's dried - lift off the hardened paste - you can repeat until it's gone.

Forks
Chatter
Chatter

Post by Forks » Wed, 04 Feb 2009 10:09 am

Alternately you could hack out the tile with a pick axe and replace it with something less stainable, who knew marble could stain.

Global Citizen
Reporter
Reporter

Post by Global Citizen » Wed, 04 Feb 2009 11:00 am

Hey Ozzie, I came across some suggestions from a forum and I'll do a cut and paste job here of some of the solutions. Hope they help.

DO NOT USE PEELAWAY to get out a stain on marble! The acid neturalizer could etch it further.

I've had great success with a homemade poultice: Mix talcum powder (any cheap brand is fine, but make sure it's talc and not cornstarch)with hydrogen peroxide until it's a thick paste. Spread the paste 1/4" thick on the stain, and cover it with plastic wrap. Seal the edges of the plastic wrap with masking tape or blue painter's tape to keep air out and let it sit for 48 hours, then gently scrape it off. If the poultice has had some effect but there's still a stain left, you can repeat the process.

If this doesn't work, you may want to call a marble guy.

I've used baking soda mixed with peroxide and ammonia. Make it into a peanut butter consistency cover with plastic wrap and let it sit for 24-48 hours.

As it dries it will draw out the stain. It also works for urine.

Don't ask.

i just cleaned my marble mantle and it looks great. i mixed baby power and hydrogen peroxide into a paste, brushed it on thickly, and covered with plastic for 48 hrs. then wiped clean with a soft brush and rags. it worked better than i thought it would.

One man's meat is another's poison.

Global Citizen
Reporter
Reporter

Post by Global Citizen » Wed, 04 Feb 2009 11:04 am

BTW, I've got to say that I love that we've got some solutions here from a couple of men!

You rock guys! :)
One man's meat is another's poison.

sierra2469alpha
Editor
Editor

Post by sierra2469alpha » Wed, 04 Feb 2009 11:16 am

Global - thanks!

cbvasi - that would be my next suggestion.

Cheers, Mr. P

bigfilsing
Reporter
Reporter

Post by bigfilsing » Thu, 05 Feb 2009 3:05 am

Global Citizen wrote:Hey Ozzie, I came across some suggestions from a forum and I'll do a cut and paste job here of some of the solutions. Hope they help.

DO NOT USE PEELAWAY to get out a stain on marble! The acid neturalizer could etch it further.

I've had great success with a homemade poultice: Mix talcum powder (any cheap brand is fine, but make sure it's talc and not cornstarch)with hydrogen peroxide until it's a thick paste. Spread the paste 1/4" thick on the stain, and cover it with plastic wrap. Seal the edges of the plastic wrap with masking tape or blue painter's tape to keep air out and let it sit for 48 hours, then gently scrape it off. If the poultice has had some effect but there's still a stain left, you can repeat the process.

If this doesn't work, you may want to call a marble guy.

I've used baking soda mixed with peroxide and ammonia. Make it into a peanut butter consistency cover with plastic wrap and let it sit for 24-48 hours.

As it dries it will draw out the stain. It also works for urine.

Don't ask.

i just cleaned my marble mantle and it looks great. i mixed baby power and hydrogen peroxide into a paste, brushed it on thickly, and covered with plastic for 48 hrs. then wiped clean with a soft brush and rags. it worked better than i thought it would.

If you can't find hydrogen peroxide there's a couple of blonde russian girls from Bricks who you could tape to the floor ...they love talc as well :D

The other one i've heard is UV light. Based on the principle that everything fades including stains you can mask off the area surrounding the stain and blast it with a UV lamp .
The success of this depends on the nature and components of the stain.

You could also crush some more of the fruit and stain the whole floor of course :D Don't laugh i've seen cabinet makers go at a table top that has water marks on it by sanding it then applying water to the whole top ( except the stained parts) then staining the whole table with wood stain again. WOrks a treat.

Good luck

ozchick
Editor
Editor

Post by ozchick » Thu, 05 Feb 2009 10:05 pm

Good on ya guys! A little experimentation on the weekend to see if I can fix the floor....gonna start with the vinegar and if necessary move onto peroxide etc--- can I get that from a pharmacy?
What am I growing? Sigh.....just a little cumquat tree to celebrate the CNY ...who would have thought it would bring such grief ?! It's now out on the balcony- evil little tree that it is! Grrrr... :-|

sierra2469alpha
Editor
Editor

Post by sierra2469alpha » Thu, 05 Feb 2009 10:19 pm

Perhaps follow the other thread about nits and gnats in hair, Oz - maybe some kero and the judicious use of a box of matches may be in order for the problematic plant!!!! Whoosh, the plant is history!

Re: Hydrogen Peroxide - not sure if you can get it from chemists here - I did see a thread a day or so ago about DIY dry cleaning fluid (which is the same chemical).

Baking soda mixed to the same consistency as peanut butter (as some of Global Citizens suggestions mention) might also be another stop action.

Lemme know how you go.

Capt. P

Forks
Chatter
Chatter

Post by Forks » Fri, 06 Feb 2009 8:09 am

There are some absolutely amazing ways here to deal with stains, mind boggling, who would have thought there would be so many suggestions on how to get rid of them, shows how many stains I have had to deal with.

ozchick
Editor
Editor

Post by ozchick » Mon, 09 Feb 2009 9:21 pm

Forks wrote:There are some absolutely amazing ways here to deal with stains, mind boggling, who would have thought there would be so many suggestions on how to get rid of them, shows how many stains I have had to deal with.
Mm...well the white vinegar doesn't work...so next step is the peroxide thingy if I can get ir or make it as suggested above....who would have thought that a little citrus fruit could cause such a problem.....