Singapore Expats Forum

Visiting singapore for a month

Post here to organise an event, gathering, meetup, party. Search for expats from your country, sports partners or meet new friends here!
sali

Visiting singapore for a month

Postby sali » Mon, 02 Feb 2009 2:13 am

Hi,

I am a 27 year old female arriving in Singapore early March to take a course, sight see etc

I am trying to figure out a place to stay that wouldn't break the bank too much. I would love to stay in a flat share as I know its the fastest way to meet people, but not sure about that.

I have a housing allowance of 5000 USD (which is about 7500 SGD, i hear singapore is expensive) for the month. So any recommendations on Short Term Stays would be appreciated.

I will also be arriving with my Citibank US and UAE cards. Do they work over there? I had some problems using my US bank cards when I moved to Dubai so I would like to prevent the same thing from happening to me in Singapore.

Any tips on touristy things I could do during my month's stay in Singapore would be greatly appreciated.

pakjohn
Chatter
Chatter

Postby pakjohn » Mon, 02 Feb 2009 5:40 am

I will also be arriving with my Citibank US and UAE cards. Do they work over there? I had some problems using my US bank cards when I moved to Dubai so I would like to prevent the same thing from happening to me in Singapore.

We use our U.S. Citibank cards here with no issue other than foreign exchange and misc. fees. I recently found out Capital One doesn't charge exchange or handling fees for foreign use of their CC and will definitely be switching. Those fees add up pretty quick.
Pakjohn

durain
Director
Director

Postby durain » Mon, 02 Feb 2009 7:21 am

since you gonna be in singapore for one month, you can opt for a Serviced Apartment as you are well within your budget. most of the Serviced Apartments are centrally located.

if your bank card is visa or mastercard, there should be no problem to withdraw local currency at any ATM.

have a look at www.visitsingapore.com to get a rough idea of what you want to do/visit.

smayrhofer
Regular
Regular

Postby smayrhofer » Mon, 02 Feb 2009 2:02 pm

would highly recommend a trip to the Zoo! Both daytime, and also for the Night Safari. Both are great fun.

funksg
Regular
Regular

hi sali..

Postby funksg » Mon, 02 Feb 2009 2:13 pm

welcome aboard..yes agreed..
ur budget is good enough to find Service Apartment in central part..
if u need help..do le tme know..
when u wud b here..
here u can do lot fo activities..depend on ur interest..
like nature walk , trek , if u like night life then this place is not less than heaven ,,clarke quay , if ur foodies it is apradise..so many choices..one whole month may b no need to repeat place n cuisine..
hehe..
then sentosa island is a good break..
there luge ride n songs of sea is worthy to watch along with other things..

have a nice n safe journey..

sierra2469alpha
Editor
Editor

Postby sierra2469alpha » Mon, 02 Feb 2009 2:52 pm

Sali - g'day. Nice trip you have planned. Some further thoughts for you.

Recently the owners of this board put up some rooms for rent - you may like to check that out.

Other than that, you could always place an ad here and see if someone would be prepared to rent you a room in their place (I'll ask Ms. C tonight).

As pakjohn says - check out your agreement with your credit card provider. It might pay to actually exchange money outside of using your CC if you get hit with fees.

I wish you well on your trip here....cheers, Mr. P

sali

Postby sali » Mon, 02 Feb 2009 4:37 pm

Thank you all so much. I actually meant my debit cards not credit cards. I try to stay away from those:)

What areas are best suited for a single lady and close to public transportation?

Is my housing allowance enough for me to live in a good area? I would like a place that was close to the marina (I am a sucker for the ocean and I currently live in the marina in Dubai) or a place that is in the heart of the city and safe.

Sierra2469, thanks so much for asking the owners of the board about housing. I will be taking the course at Sotheby's.

durain
Director
Director

Postby durain » Mon, 02 Feb 2009 8:04 pm

if your debit card is visa or mastercard, it should be OK. they are accepted in shops and ATM for local cash withdrawal. what you need to do is to find out the fees and charges you bank will slap you with.

alternative to withdrawing cash from ATM is to carry USD and exchange them in money changer in singapore. money changer fx rates are pretty good.

as i mentioned, if your budget is USD5000/month for your housing, it is more than enough for a Serviced Apartment centrally located. everything should be about walking distance. singapore is small!

singapore is a safe island but that doesnt mean there's no crime.

NiWi

Postby NiWi » Mon, 02 Feb 2009 8:16 pm

Hi Sali,

I stayed in the Treetops for a while. That is a nice resort style Serviced Apartment. It is very close the the Orchard MRT station. I stayed there on my own. Singapore is general a safe place for a single woman.

Another place is called Great World City. They have Serviced Apartments at reasonable price. I don't know the inside but the location is good. It is attached to a mall where you find everything you need. And it is just a quick walk to the river where nice bars and restaurants are located (Robinson Quay, Clarke Quay etc.). There is no MRT station but there are direct bus lines to China Town, Orchard Rd., Plaza Singapura, Littlle India, Clarke Quay etc.

porridge0000
Chatter
Chatter

Postby porridge0000 » Tue, 03 Feb 2009 9:49 am

I suggest you rent a cheap apartment near central area. So that you can have more budget on relaxing, enjoyment and entertainment... =)

tsubamey

Postby tsubamey » Sun, 08 Feb 2009 11:04 pm

It might not be your thing , but you could always stay in a guest house since its only a month and would probably cost you less than a 1000 sing bucks and you will have local friendly guides running the place and making friends wouldnt be a problem in one.

Rodnarine

Postby Rodnarine » Mon, 09 Feb 2009 1:50 am

:shock: 7500 sg dollars for 1 month tat's too much laa haaa...
1500 for food and advertisem's its ok. it depends also where u prefer to eat. I adore outdoor stals, not so expensive, food is nice, visit bugis also, great huh.

regards

sali

Postby sali » Thu, 19 Feb 2009 6:45 am

Thank you guys. I think I might have found a room to rent in a place called Dover Park View condos sharing with two other flatmates.

How central is it? Is it in a good location?

Any info on the above named property would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

blue_thunder
Chatter
Chatter

Postby blue_thunder » Thu, 19 Feb 2009 11:02 am

Location would be nice but not central though.
This condo is towards the west side of the SG and it would take atleast 30 mins to travel to City/CBD by public transport.
I wonder if there is any ocean view near Dover..
If you wanna live by the waters, then marina or ecp would be a better choice.

Cheers.
VK
~ I don't want to be a product of my environment, I want my environment to be a product of me

sali

Postby sali » Fri, 20 Feb 2009 2:53 am

Thanks, can you recommend any residential areas in Marina and what does ecp mean?