Singapore Expats Forum

Foreigners/Employment Pass.../freelance

Discuss about the latest news & interesting topics, real life experience or other out of topic discussions with locals & expatriates in Singapore.

Indust

Foreigners/Employment Pass.../freelance

Postby Indust » Sun, 01 Feb 2009 9:09 am

HI all, I recently did the test to see if I passed for eligiblity and I did which is great, I've booked my ticket to Singapore and Im looking at it one of two ways, one it will be a lovely holiday or two Ill get some work there, now I havnt as yet applied for my EP, I have a degree(B.A social science) and a diploma(Illustration/design; actually this is only 95% finished but hey!) and I am just finishing a Training and Assessment course (which in aus lets u teach a skill u have at tafe, or adult learning centres) now I have also worked as a photo retoucher only for one year but am extremly confident with my skills, (digital art/photography/retouching) and have been offered to work as a freelance for a university magazine. Im in the process of applying for an EP and an S pass, and I know we are in an economic crisis, but the work has been offered, my question is how does working as a freelance work for foreigners? I still need permission from the company offerering the work? is this the only company I can work for? and how long does it take to apply for an EP and S pass (together)... ? and can I apply from Singapore?

sundaymorningstaple

Postby sundaymorningstaple » Sun, 01 Feb 2009 10:35 am

First of all I don't want to burst your enthusiasm bubble but here is the reality of life.

The EP elgibility indicator is only there to see if you educational levels are sufficient to warrarnt the issuance of an EP. IT IS NOT A GUARANTEE of getting one.

Secondly, you cannot apply for an EP OR and S pass. This is done by the employer and the working pass is only good for that employer. When you leave that employer it is cancelled and you are given two weeks to leave the country unless you earn over 7K/month and have managed to get an Personal Employment Pass (this one is income specific). IF you get an employment Pass, you are not allowed to work for anyone else in Singapore. If you do, you will be in violation of the EP. You must be either a PR or Citizen to take a second job or freelance. If caught, your EP will be cancelled and you will be booted out of the country.

sms

Indust

Postby Indust » Mon, 02 Feb 2009 12:40 pm

Ok well my enthusiasm bubble hasnt burst because as I stated I dont mind the outcome, all Im trying to do here is get information So can I apply for this work permit while im in the country (singapore) (or the company applys for it) while im on a holiday visa? Because the company has said they would like to meet me...

Indust

Postby Indust » Mon, 02 Feb 2009 1:48 pm

ok well with a little research I answered my own question, so what about a PEP probaly (q1) it says I have to be tied to one employer (which is fine!) but gives at least 6 months if i finish up at one company this seems a better option. again does the employer apply for this for you...?