Singapore Expats

Shipping Personal Effects From The USA

Moving to Singapore? Ask our regular expats in Singapore questions on relocation and their experience here. Ask about banking, employment pass, insurance, visa, work permit, citizenship or immigration issues.

Sponsored by:

Utrust Immigration
dadelaw

Shipping Personal Effects From The USA

Post by dadelaw » Sat, 31 Jan 2009 11:35 am

We are relocating to Singapore in May and I have called many local moving companies and I cannot find anyone interested in moving our stuff from Miami to Singapore. Does anybody have experience at this? How does it work? What do i need to do? What am I doing wrong!!

sundaymorningstaple
Answers: 21

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Sat, 31 Jan 2009 7:50 pm

Telling them how little you want to spend? :?
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

dadelaw

Shipping Personal Effects To Singapore

Post by dadelaw » Sat, 31 Jan 2009 9:00 pm

I don't get your point. I never get to tell them what I will spend. They simply don't ship to Singapore. Period.

yoongf
Chatter
Chatter

Post by yoongf » Sat, 31 Jan 2009 9:12 pm

Perhaps it's easier to find a Singapore based shipper and see who their affiliate is at your location.

I often see this company in my neighbourhood handling the 20ft container movements.

Never used them personally, but perhaps it's worth a try.

http://www.kcdat.com.sg/singapore/index.htm

durain
Director
Director

Re: Shipping Personal Effects From The USA

Post by durain » Sat, 31 Jan 2009 9:41 pm

dadelaw wrote:What do i need to do? What am I doing wrong!!
yellow page? google?

skye
Chatter
Chatter

Post by skye » Sat, 31 Jan 2009 10:59 pm

Local moving companies are probably just that - local. We've had contact with a couple of companies with reps in both Singapore and US - Santa Fe, who were excellent, and possibly soon to use Arpin International. We were shipping a 20 ft container when we came to Asia and possibly a 40 footer when we eventually go back. Neither was cheap but this was a full-service company-paid move with packing, customs, shipping, delivery and unpacking at the other end included. There are cheaper ways to do it, by packing yourself and usng a freight-forwarder to do the actual shipping, or having a part-container if you don't have too much stuff. Try googling international shippers or freight forwarders in your area and you might have some luck.

boffenl
Reporter
Reporter

Post by boffenl » Mon, 09 Feb 2009 11:03 am

We personally packed a 20 foot container that rolled up to our house in Indiana 2 years ago. Just do some snooping on the internet and you'll find container companies. They bring it to your house, you pack it, then they ship it to Singapore. WAYYYY cheaper than the full service companies--but there were several in Indiana that quoted me for the move. I would assume it's cheaper to send containers now with the shipping industry in the decline. Good luck!

VanofVA

Post by VanofVA » Wed, 11 Feb 2009 4:49 am

intlmove.com
matthewmoving.com
raineros.com

I'm working with these 3. I'm in Virginia but I beliwve they are all international

epinatl

moving co.

Post by epinatl » Wed, 18 Feb 2009 4:27 am

Allied moved us from from Indonesia to the U.S. they did a great professional job. pricey but if your work is picking up the tab, its worth it. we are now moving back from U.S. to S-pore in April but getting a furnished place.