Singapore Expats Forum

First PR app rejected, second app successful, anyone?

Relocating, travelling or planning to make Singapore home? Discuss the criterias, passes or visa that is required.
xtasy010
Regular
Regular

First PR app rejected, second app successful, anyone?

Postby xtasy010 » Fri, 30 Jan 2009 4:05 pm

Anyone had their PR rejected first time and accepted/rejected the second time? After how long did you reapply and what was different about your second application?

sundaymorningstaple

Postby sundaymorningstaple » Sat, 31 Jan 2009 7:51 pm

Yeah mine. But probably not applicable as it was a long, long time ago back in the last century! :cool:

hertfordshire_lad

Postby hertfordshire_lad » Sat, 31 Jan 2009 8:10 pm

I just got a PR rejection letter and am wondering what to do next. The letter stated that I have not met the residential requirement, yet I've been here over a year. I really wasnt expecting a rejection and I'm now feeling very insecure, esp with the economy in recession.

I'm holding an EP (P2), am well qualified (with masters from UK), have good experience, have a job that's paying well and am financially secure. I am really disappointed that its been rejected as I enjoy living here but now it feels like Singapore doesnt want me. Guess I have to call up next week and find out the reason, then either appeal or reapply. Is it true that have to wait 3 months before submitting again?

Also, any ideas on what the reason for rejection could be..and what I can do differently to improve my chances?

Really hoping that this is not the beginning of the end of my time in Singapore.

sundaymorningstaple

Postby sundaymorningstaple » Sun, 01 Feb 2009 8:49 pm

Generally, if you get a rejection letter saying you don't meet the residency requirements, it only because they are wanting to see if you are a stayer or a quitter. Quite often people are given rejection letters asking them to apply again in a year or six months. Usually it's to keep those who are possibly looking to use their PR as only a stepping stone to Australia or the US/UK or trying to ensure they can stay here as long as is needed after they get retrenched. This might be happening a lot more as time goes on and the recession starts axing more and more jobs.

Can you blame them? They have to look out for their Citizens first and rightly so. If you were still in your own country, wouldn't you expect YOUR country to look out for YOU first?

sms

xtasy010
Regular
Regular

Postby xtasy010 » Sun, 01 Feb 2009 9:19 pm

Sorry to hear that, not very encouraging for the rest of us who have applied. :( I felt exactly the way you do when I was rejected the first time a year back.

I was wondering, did they call you for an interview? Sometimes you can tell from the kind of questions the are asking what the out come is going to be.

How long did they take to process your application?

hertfordshire_lad

Postby hertfordshire_lad » Sun, 01 Feb 2009 9:53 pm

No, no interview. I just submitted the documents to the ICA officer then was told to wait. Then I got the letter telling me I had been unsuccessful.

Total processing time was 2 months, which is pretty impressive as it was during Dec and Jan when there were loads of public holidays.

The letter didn't state when to reapply.

Anyway, I'll try to find out the reason during the week. The rejection is much harder to take when no reason is given.

xtasy010
Regular
Regular

Postby xtasy010 » Sun, 01 Feb 2009 10:17 pm

I heard they never give a reason, they didn't give me one either. But do give it a try, let us know what they say.

All the best and hang in there.

sundaymorningstaple

Postby sundaymorningstaple » Sun, 01 Feb 2009 11:44 pm

No, they will not give you a reason. The thought behind that is that if enough people get enough different reasons, then eventually they will start getting applications that have been doctored up so that they invariably should be accepted even though they probably are undesirable from the Gov't POV. Just wait 6 months and reapply. If you cannot wait, then I would say your application is a desperate attempt to buy time in case you are retrenched rather than having any real desire to become a "Permanent" Resident here. Otherwise, what is so critical about getting PR so fast? You wanna pay CPF izzat? Fine, Start putting the same amount into a fixed deposit or in the Bank now. Eventually that along with your CPF will get you a flat just the same as if you were already a PR. :wink:

If you are called in for an interview, you have, for all intents and purposes, already been approved for PR. You would really have to screw up the interview badly to get rejected at that point.

xtasy010
Regular
Regular

Postby xtasy010 » Mon, 02 Feb 2009 10:43 am

I find it hard to buy the argument that applicants could 'doctor' their applications because most of the information requested is factual and easily verifiable, such as marital status, no of dependents salary, job title, duration lived in Singapore, education, nationality, race, religion and so on. In fact if the ICA gave enough reasons they would probably get fewer applications reducing their work load since people could themselves be able to judge better if their application will be successful or not and might not apply if they feel they don't have a good chance of being successful.

sundaymorningstaple

Postby sundaymorningstaple » Mon, 02 Feb 2009 11:16 pm

I just lost 2 S Pass holder in December after them being on my payroll for 5+ months. It would seem that their Degrees where not valid degrees. They were originally submitted and okayed and there were brought into the country, issued S passes and 6 months later cancelled by MOM because they could not get verification letters from the school to support the piece of paper. It does happen, with great regularity. Sorry.

That is why MOM always holds the cards close to their chest. Think about it....

inselaffen

Postby inselaffen » Tue, 03 Feb 2009 3:41 pm

had been considering applying for PR but think will concentrate on getting my PEP first

sundaymorningstaple

Postby sundaymorningstaple » Tue, 03 Feb 2009 7:29 pm

Remember one thing though, the PEP is a one time affair only. Never a second time. Yet.

billy anne

Postby billy anne » Wed, 11 Feb 2009 6:21 pm

my pr application was rejected twice, after my first application was rejected they told me i can only reapply after 6months and so i did then got rejected again they wouldn't even give us the reason. i've been married for almost 3 years now to a eurasian singaporean ive been stagnant for so long just staying athome, i cannot get a job coz they always ask if im a Singapore pr, i cannot even help my husband. im suppose to reapply again this feb and im already discouraged. my friend who is also married to a young chinese singaporean got her pr approved very fast just 5 months after they got married. and im not being envious but i think it was very unfair bcoz from what i know she's not very educated. im not saying that just bcoz im educated i should get the pr instead of her but i just really don't know why i got rejected. is it bcoz my hubby is eurasian and he is a lot older than me and about the doctoring of the papers coz that friend of mine is legally married in phils. i don't wanna say anything coz that's her life but just wonderin how come when she stated that she is single they never check to confirm. she just married the poor guy to get her pr and bring the family in singapore. now she is has a job and all. sometimes life is really unfair those people who aren't deserving are the ones who end up getting it. :???: i guess that's life
billy anne

sundaymorningstaple

Postby sundaymorningstaple » Wed, 11 Feb 2009 6:38 pm

Aside from the fact that you sound like you have a racist chip on your shoulder, your education level (based on your written English) wasn't all that good either. Marrying an older man might have something to do with your rejection as well as it often appears here as "mail-order" brides. Just keep applying. My nephew has a similar problem at the moment as well and he's got a 1 year old baby and both the baby and the mother were refused another LTSVP and she and the baby have had to go back to there country for a minimum of 6 months. So you don't have it too bad yet.

billy anne

Postby billy anne » Thu, 12 Feb 2009 4:04 am

oh i never thought it should be in formal writing, didn't expect to be judged based on my written english, that was really offensive.. now i feel more insecure. anyway thanks for your criticism though a bit of sympathy and encouragement could have been more helpful.
billy anne