Singapore Expats Forum

Music - Renaissance, Baroque

Post here to organise an event, gathering, meetup, party. Search for expats from your country, sports partners or meet new friends here!
Tagos

Music - Renaissance, Baroque

Postby Tagos » Fri, 30 Jan 2009 9:10 am

Hi,
We have just arrived in Singapore and are looking for any amateur groups who play early music. My husband and I both play recorders, crumhorns and other early music wind instruments. We have a good library of sheet music and would love to find someone with whom to play. We are at middling to quite good standard.

Tagos

Hactar

Postby Hactar » Sat, 31 Jan 2009 11:22 pm

Hello Tagos,

We've been in Singapore for about 3 months now; and I'm afraid it's a bit of a hole in the ground when it comes to music. There's a fair amount of pop music, a bit of classical and some chinese and other traditional music; but it is far from the thriving music world I'm used to in Europe. I guess the Singaporeans are just too busy working to have a hobby; so you find either music professionals or,... or expats I guess.

Anyway; me and my wife do play early music, but it's probably not exactly what you're looking for. We play west european traditional folk, mostly french and flamish. In my case on diatonic accordion, guitar, percussion and (some) flute/tin whistle and my wife on bodhran, whistles and (some) chello. We're around 30, from the Neterlands.

We're interested in the kind of music you play, and if you're open to perhaps some more liberal interpretation, we'd love to play together. We don't have the baroque instruments you see, so it's bound to sound a bit different.

Jaap
9235 8817
jajbrand -at- yahoo.com

(I've been looking for a good excuse to buy that Hurdy Gurdy; so this might be just the thing to convince my wife that it's really no problem to play Hurdy Gurdy in a condo :).)
"Kings and lords come and go and leave nothing but statues in a desert, while a couple of young men tinkering in a workshop change the way the world works." - The Patrician (in 'The Truth' by Terry Pratchett)

fayke

Postby fayke » Sat, 31 Jan 2009 11:30 pm

Hactar wrote:(I've been looking for a good excuse to buy that Hurdy Gurdy; so this might be just the thing to convince my wife that it's really no problem to play Hurdy Gurdy in a condo :).)
His wife somehow still thinks it might not be a very good idea to buy one.:D Though it would be nice to irritate the neighbours with the piano back...
I would also like to play some music together!

Tagos

Playing early music

Postby Tagos » Mon, 09 Feb 2009 4:38 pm

Sorry for the delay in replying but we are househunting. I will get in touch again when we are settled.

Bartje_78

Postby Bartje_78 » Thu, 24 Dec 2009 2:20 pm

Hi all,

As a Dutch expat, I had the same issue as you guys, i.e. the lack of variety in the music offering here.... So, I took the plunge and decided to bring some good music to Singapore myself! In 2010 I will be bringing in some great Baroque music! Have a look at www.baroqueinsingapore.sg! Hope to see you there :-)

Bart

Hactar

Postby Hactar » Wed, 13 Jan 2010 12:56 am

great initiative!
I'll try to come and see it.
"Kings and lords come and go and leave nothing but statues in a desert, while a couple of young men tinkering in a workshop change the way the world works." - The Patrician (in 'The Truth' by Terry Pratchett)

ceciyl

Postby ceciyl » Thu, 14 Jan 2010 1:21 pm

Did you guys form a casual group? Been looking for one... I've been out of practice too long haha...

Hactar

Postby Hactar » Thu, 14 Jan 2010 7:14 pm

nope, we never got around to it.
What do you play?

ceciyl

Postby ceciyl » Fri, 15 Jan 2010 1:15 am

played piano, played flute, tried to learn guitar basics... :)

Nicolae

Renaissance, baroque music

Postby Nicolae » Tue, 21 Jun 2011 1:49 pm

I play baroque violin and I am visiting Singapore for the next month; not sure whether or not there is a period music scene here. My wife is Singaporean, but since she is not a musician, she can't help me with this.
Anybody out there?

2487chica

Postby 2487chica » Fri, 08 Jul 2011 9:33 pm

Hi, where can I watch the performance? :)

Taringa

Recorder player

Postby Taringa » Wed, 01 Feb 2012 4:28 pm

Is this post too old? I'm an amateur recorder player (descant, treble, tenor, bass) previous ensemble experience, a bit rusty but happy to meet up with like minded players of recorder or early music...

sporeexpatlover

Re: Renaissance, baroque music

Postby sporeexpatlover » Thu, 05 Apr 2012 2:28 pm

Nicolae wrote:I play baroque violin and I am visiting Singapore for the next month; not sure whether or not there is a period music scene here. My wife is Singaporean, but since she is not a musician, she can't help me with this.
Anybody out there?
i love baroque music esp.violin ,btw u play vivaldi 4 seasons,etc?

victorgan

Postby victorgan » Wed, 06 Jun 2012 3:13 pm

An early music group has been forming in Singapore over the last year and we're now actively looking for collaborators. Renaissance and early baroque mainly so if anyone is interested :

http://www.facebook.com/CappellaMartialis

Instrumentalists and singers welcome -- our inaugural concert will be of Italian music 1600-1700ish with lutes, recorders, gamba, in addition to singers.

natureavenue

Postby natureavenue » Wed, 20 Jun 2012 7:35 pm

Hi,

am interested in the gathering of [playing music together too, if this post group is still on. ;)