Singapore Expats

Singapore or Australia. Recruitment industry

Discuss your views about Singapore business & economy, current policies & issues, starting a business in Singapore.
simonmobiledisco

Singapore or Australia. Recruitment industry

Post by simonmobiledisco » Wed, 28 Jan 2009 2:25 am

I'm guessing a few of you might have an insight in these nations so was wondering if you can help me with a dillema I am having.

I am an experienced recruiter with 5 years of work in London. (Markets covered IT, Finance and Sales & marketing) I have had decent success and reputation for being professional and trustworthy in an industry which has far too many people tarnishign its reputation

I have longed to move overseas and see my next 5+ years in Australasia and Asia.

I have received many offers, but have focused down to 2 opportunities and am having trouble deciding what is the best option.

One is for a start up Singapore office of a large global player who have a background in IT (but in recent years have excellent in finance, Pharamcutical, Oil and Gas, and others) The offer is slightly less money (after tax), but could be a great experience in setting up an office in Asia and could lead to opportunies of running future offices in Asia. They want me to help lead their commercial IT (non-finance). They also will have Oil and gas and finance divisons launching.

From what I understand the competition is fairly week in Asia and market entry is tougher than some other places. So when the market turns on the up, it could position us very well.

The other is in a privately owned Australian company with regional offices and a strong reputation in the Aussie IT recruitment market. They are offering a very competitive package and have money in the bank to fund expansions, they had a strong year last year with some good staff. They haven't diversified that much, which I feel represents a great opportunity to allow myself to further the company and get some of the start up experience in a new country that I feel will improve my CV. However there are a lot of recruitment business going to Oz and the competition is more mature than in other places in Asia.

My question to you is which option do you think will face the most obstacle in the short to medium term due to economic conditions. I am extremely keen to hear from people with experience of the Singaporean market as I have less experience of the region and its expected problems.

I expect it to be a tough year for all westernised nations. Australia has been predicted flat growth and recent new reports from Singapore have been frankly scary, but given the youth of the market, is that such a problem in the mid-term.

Thanks in advance.

sundaymorningstaple
Answers: 21

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Wed, 28 Jan 2009 7:22 am

I spent 14 years in the recruitment industries here in Singapore, centric on the O&G, Petrochem/Construction industries. Good luck. I tend to stay on the hiring side now.
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

simonmobiledisco

thanks for the reply

Post by simonmobiledisco » Wed, 28 Jan 2009 7:24 pm

NB:I am certainly not asking for business or referals, but would you have an insight to how budgets have been affected this year, or how you anticipate for them to be affected?

I expect things to drop in many cases, but will there be reductions or wholesales freezes. I know people working the O&G and are doing quite well over the past 4 months, but what do you think 2009 holds?

sundaymorningstaple

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Wed, 28 Jan 2009 9:12 pm

I might be way, way off here, but the way I see it, if it's going to go anywhere it won't be any earlier than the 4th quarter at the earliest.

Look at it this way. Oil prices have retreated way, way back. They did this despite an extremely cold winter, primarily due to the economy being in a shambles. Now we don't know how long it's going to take to start anything that resembles a turn-around. I don't think we even have a clue how far down the bottom is. The only people who remember how bad it can get are in their 80's now (those that survived that is). Unfortunately, time tends to dull the pain so we don't really have anything concrete to go by.

Add to the fact that spring/summer will be on us in a couple of months - and massive unemployment at something at the rate of a 10,000 jobs a day worldwide at the moment, fuel usage is going to drop even further thereby needing even less personnel than is currently required for wintertime production. Assuming something happens in the 3rd quarter would be the only way I see any increases in the Petro/chem sector. The Pharma sector is already in process of consolidating and will cause around 10K jobs to be lost worldwide just with the latest merger. If the Auto industries are laying off people and or shutting plants one or two days a week (japan) then they aren't going to be traveling all that much either. This will cause oil prices to drop further to try to stimulate but unless there are jobs........

Catch 22. The oil & gas industry is holding steady cause it is winter in most of the developed world. But as soon as it warms up........ I see hiring freezes. I see reduced hours. But, other than contract staffing (which is heavily used in Singapore's O&G refining sector), I don't see too many retrenchments, just attrition maybe.

Somebody else may well have a different viewpoint though. I would also like to hear from some of the other here as well.

sms
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

simonmobiledisco

Post by simonmobiledisco » Thu, 29 Jan 2009 3:45 am

SMS: thanks again

any idea of salaries? I feel what i'm being offered is pretty poor.

I am getting a base of $65K some + relocation costs and an allowance for a few months, but the commission isn't great.

What all in package should some aim for if they are a strong biller (upper quartile)

all answers appreciated.

sundaymorningstaple

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Thu, 29 Jan 2009 7:05 am

I'm not sure as I've been away from the recruitment side of things for around 5 years now and am away from that sector. But your base seems very high to be sure. Most players here see less than 48K plus commission so if you commission percentage seem low, it's no wonder. usually they pay subsistence and a better commission. I daresay, I'd be wary. The high-end positions are going to be few and far between. Course that may be just the opposite as well, if the companies decide use the time/economy as a means to get rid of a lot of high priced crap that they have working for them. Who knows. We're in uncharted territory at the moment. I'm old but not old enough to remember the 30's. I'd be very sure about any major move at the moment as you could find yourself jumping out of the pot and into the frying pan.

Good Luck.

saint73
Chatter
Chatter

Re: Singapore or Australia. Recruitment industry

Post by saint73 » Thu, 29 Jan 2009 5:49 pm

simonmobiledisco wrote:
I expect it to be a tough year for all westernised nations. Australia has been predicted flat growth and recent new reports from Singapore have been frankly scary, but given the youth of the market, is that such a problem in the mid-term.

Thanks in advance.
In singapore, retrencement will begin to start in 2009.Our PM predict singapore will lost 30k JOBS..But I had known that
90, 000 jobs already lost in USA.

The oil & gas industry still strong as some projects are already confirm.
Now start to set up company in asia might be tough also...

but positive in mindset...crisis also can be an opportunity...rental in office will be cheaper....corporate tax will decrease....this are opportunity...

:wink: