Singapore Expats

Can a hawker center issue S pass for foreigner?

Discuss your views about Singapore business & economy, current policies & issues, starting a business in Singapore.
blogurworld

Can a hawker center issue S pass for foreigner?

Post by blogurworld » Tue, 27 Jan 2009 4:01 pm

Hi All
I was wondering if anyone have an idea about the S pass criteria. If a hawker center here provides fixed salary of $1800, which is needed to get S pass, is there any chances that MOM will issue the pass.
The employee is asked to manage the entire operation by the employer.
Please help me on this..
Cheers and many thanks

Strong Eagle
Answers: 9

Post by Strong Eagle » Tue, 27 Jan 2009 4:23 pm

Very tough, I'd say. It's not only salary, there are other qualifications as well. There are also quota requirements... 4 locals for 1 S pass. Read about it.

http://www.mom.gov.sg/publish/momportal ... _pass.html

blogurworld

Post by blogurworld » Tue, 27 Jan 2009 4:35 pm

Strong Eagle wrote:Very tough, I'd say. It's not only salary, there are other qualifications as well. There are also quota requirements... 4 locals for 1 S pass. Read about it.

http://www.mom.gov.sg/publish/momportal ... _pass.html
Thanks Strong Eagle for your quick reply. I went through the link you've submitted. If the employee is degree or diploma holder and have studied in Singapore with couple of years in hospitality industries. Will that fulfill the criteria? I heard that one of the food chain..hawker center is hiring foreigner in S pass.
Many thanks

sierra2469alpha
Editor
Editor

Post by sierra2469alpha » Tue, 27 Jan 2009 4:59 pm

Blogur and SE - interesting point - I am diverging off topic here, but did notice a post recently about work experience. I'm wondering how that actually works here.

Ms. C had someone ask the other day about two weeks work experience in a secretarial/admin position, and that led me to think about how work experience works here. The person had her O levels and is finishing an admin diploma - I can only think that blog with a hospitality degree etc. would want some work experience also.

Forgive my ignorance - it's an honest question.

Mr. P

Strong Eagle
Answers: 9

Post by Strong Eagle » Tue, 27 Jan 2009 6:27 pm

Folks, I figure that S pass for a hawker centre... manager or otherwise... is just about zero... it's just my guess... and...

First of all, I am not denying that managing a whole center takes some skill and knowledge... in spite of the fact that way too many centres look like they are barely managed at all.

Second, there must surely be many, many people in Singapore capable of doing this job... in the midst of a recession I cannot see MOM granting an S$ 1800 salary to a foreigner when there are locals that can do this job.

sundaymorningstaple
Answers: 21

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Tue, 27 Jan 2009 8:21 pm

In all probability it will get through. I have degree holders working in the fields with foggers and oiling in the pest control business working on "S" passes. It's been easy to get them and all I really require is someone with a minimum of a PSLE or N level for an education. Why am I hiring "S" pass holders? Cause the recession hasn't dug deep enough to overcome local pride. Only when that happen will the local stoop down low enough to do that kind of work. Therein lies the problem. So yes, provided you have the necessary qualifications for an "S" pass you will probably be able to get the job. There are already lots of PRC's working in the Hawker Centres already and the local mama-sans don't like it one bit! :wink: What to do?
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

blogurworld

Post by blogurworld » Tue, 27 Jan 2009 9:58 pm

sundaymorningstaple wrote:In all probability it will get through. I have degree holders working in the fields with foggers and oiling in the pest control business working on "S" passes. It's been easy to get them and all I really require is someone with a minimum of a PSLE or N level for an education. Why am I hiring "S" pass holders? Cause the recession hasn't dug deep enough to overcome local pride. Only when that happen will the local stoop down low enough to do that kind of work. Therein lies the problem. So yes, provided you have the necessary qualifications for an "S" pass you will probably be able to get the job. There are already lots of PRC's working in the Hawker Centres already and the local mama-sans don't like it one bit! :wink: What to do?
Thank you so much for all your advise and quick response. Yes I agree with Sunday that if locals are able to embrace this kind of jobs, there is no need of getting foreigners and applying S pass.
I came to know from MOM website that foreigners are not allowed to open and run food stall unless they are PR. If foreigner wanted to open stall and run, is it possible?
Please advise on this....Many thanks

sundaymorningstaple
Answers: 21

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Wed, 28 Jan 2009 7:18 am

SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

blogurworld

Post by blogurworld » Sun, 01 Feb 2009 11:54 am

sundaymorningstaple wrote:Start here:

http://www.singaporeexpats.com/forum/ftopic38927.html

or here:
EntrePass
Thanks everyone for your advise...I'm starting with the thread that sundaymorningstaple provided me. Hope to get more info in coming future.