Singapore Expats

Opportunity for an Unusual applicant

Discuss about getting a well paid job or career advancement. Ask about salaries, expat packages, CPF & taxes for expatriate.
makattack

Opportunity for an Unusual applicant

Post by makattack » Mon, 26 Jan 2009 10:59 am

I would be very happy if someone can answer some of the questions I have

I am a Pakistani, 20 years old, doing my undergrad in management studies (business) in University of Nottingham in the U.K and am in my final year. English is my first language and I have spent the majority of my life growing up outside of Pak, in places such as California, Dubai and now the U.K. My education has been in American schools

It has been my goal for a long time to move to Singapore for various reasons I will not go into. I will soon graduate and was considering applying for jobs, straight away, in Singapore. I have earned excellent grades, my university is one of the best in the U.K for my subject and now I want to work in the banking sector or in the management of real estate developers or retail conglomerates. I have already been offered a salary of 34,000 pounds plus a 4,000 signing bonus in a bank in the U.K, but my heart is not here.

My question is, in view of the current economic climate, what are my chances of landing a similar job in the Singapore. Can I expect a similar take home. I know taxes are much less in Singapore. How much will country of origin affect my opportunities and future career. I know Singaporean companies expect nationals of developing countries to be cheap hires. I also have heard race plays an element in the hiring of expat workers for managerial positions, especially the executive ones. How much of an effect will my status as a fresh grad have. I am correct to assume that Singaporean companies don't place the same emphasis as American or British ones on hiring fresh talent and developing it and value experience more highly, esp in foreign workers.

In summary, should i perhaps get experience elsewhere and then apply for jobs in Singapore or should i take a chance on Singapore right away. I know it's a long post but thanks for bearing with me

Plavt
Director
Director

Post by Plavt » Mon, 26 Jan 2009 2:11 pm

From what I have read on this board and others you have no chance, banks are laying people off, plus the fact most professions in Singapore require a number of years experience. Sorry for the bad news.

makattack

Post by makattack » Mon, 26 Jan 2009 2:19 pm

I guess it's a pretty awful time to be graduating. No chance, eh?. I hope I can get a more detailed response on some of my other questions so that i can gauge my future plans. Maybe I can get experience elsewhere and try Singapore when the economic situ calms down.

sundaymorningstaple
Answers: 21

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Mon, 26 Jan 2009 3:13 pm

You're right, it's not the ideal time to be graduating but it's not impossible. However, it's probably not the right time to be trying to land an expatriate position without any experience when most countries are stiffening up their immigration policies to make sure their own citizens are being fully utilized.

If you have a job offer of £34K I think as a person without too much experience I would jump on it while you can. Hang on to it for a year or two (if you can due to the recession) and you will come out much stronger in the long term. If you can land a position in the UK and then come to Singapore, you will find that you ethnicity will be not as much of a deciding factor in your negotiation phase then.

Just some food for thought.......
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

makattack

Post by makattack » Mon, 26 Jan 2009 3:55 pm

Thanks SMS for your advice. You really are ubiquitous on these forums. I rather not take that job offer. Three years of studying in the U.K is about all I can take of this place. I think i rather move to Dubai in the meantime where my parents live and utilize contacts to get experience in the banking industry there or maybe get more education