Singapore Expats Forum

Split from the "One line about Singapore" thread

Chats, Flames, Jokes, Junks. Don't know where to post ? You've just found the right place.
User avatar
banana
Reporter
Reporter
Posts: 961
Joined: Tue, 24 May 2005

Postby banana » Wed, 28 Jan 2009 1:00 am

Plavt wrote:Should somebody take a disliking to something I have said or feel it is erroneous in some way they are perfectly free to PM me and I will happily change words. At least one well known poster here does that and has done more than once. As for the name calling, that was unprovoked, I did intend to let posters have their say without getting involved so I do not take kindly to being called what I was called.

However, my apologies if the title upset people particularly twisa but I would like to point out that when a moderator splits a thread it leaves the subject title-less which the poster may change if he so wishes.. The more observant of you will have noticed twista subsequently did.

However, these are just words on a website which eventually disappear and be forgotten so can we just leave it at that? Thank you all.

For Banana: I have re-enabled your account, as I said if you don't like something I have said or done then PM me, what do you say?


Plavt, I will graciously accept your reinstatement of my account. Thank you.

However, I think you owe everyone an unequivocal apology for your actions, not just the initial subject title. Here's why in simple, power-point style er...points:

1) Causality. Everything in this thread eventuated from you naming the subject title the way you did.

2) Responsibility. While twista88 could have changed it, and eventually did, you are far more familiar with the system and should not have put a newbie in such a position.

3) Accountability. On witnessing the shitstorm brewing, you chose to emote enjoyment via the popcorn emoticon, rather than own up to your mistake. If you wanted to stay out of it, you could have done just that and not post a reply. Poor form.

4) Worst case scenario. Some high strung expat might have taken the subject title too seriously and called the cops. It would have resulted in poor twista potentially facing sedition charges. Probably won't hold water but do you really want to be responsible for that? You have already demonstrated a lack of responsibility. Very poor form.

As for PMing you, it's quite hard to do so with my account disabled don't you think? Be a man and own up to it mate. You blew it last night.

Quis custodiet ipsos custodes
some signatures are more equal than others

Plavt
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 4289
Joined: Wed, 18 May 2005
Location: United Kingdom

Postby Plavt » Wed, 28 Jan 2009 1:38 am

Accountability. On witnessing the shitstorm brewing, you chose to emote enjoyment via the popcorn emoticon, rather than own up to your mistake.
Well I could have done one of three things; requested posters to refrain from making the comments they did which would no doubt have been ignored as happened before. On the other hand I could have locked the thread which would have provoked a string of complaints as has happened before. The alternative being to delete the thread which I did in a sense by moving it off the board. However, other moderators objected hence its return and the title was again changed by sms.


Worst case scenario. Some high strung expat might have taken the subject title too seriously and called the cops. It would have resulted in poor twista potentially facing sedition charges.

You have to be kidding me, I am sure the Singapore police have better things to with their time than worry about discussion, debate or argument on a free forum.



As for PMing you, it's quite hard to do so with my account disabled don't you think?

Point taken but you could have done so the moment you saw the thread and took the obvious disliking you did. Now can we leave at that can we?

User avatar
banana
Reporter
Reporter
Posts: 961
Joined: Tue, 24 May 2005

Postby banana » Wed, 28 Jan 2009 2:37 am

mmm....hmmmm....smells like....but....yeeeaaa...nnnnn....yeah ok. :)


i'm watching you!
some signatures are more equal than others

User avatar
Forks
Chatter
Chatter
Posts: 299
Joined: Mon, 04 Feb 2008
Location: in the draw
Contact:

Postby Forks » Wed, 28 Jan 2009 8:42 pm

I refrained from diving into this one at first (trying to do better than last time) but I couldn't hold out any longer.

haven't we been round this "local/expat with axe to grind" thing before?

Its the kinda oil that keeps this forum moving (if not all forums).

I think anyone who is on this forum can probably deduce a few things.

a.) not all Singaporeans are wonderful
b.) not all expats are wonderful

But yet again we get another, I have never wanted to get on a local forum and discuss the things I dont like about Singapore, I dont get it whats the pay off?
Poking, poking everywhere...

User avatar
Bafana
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 1393
Joined: Sun, 11 Apr 2004
Location: Singapore

Postby Bafana » Thu, 29 Jan 2009 4:52 am

Frak - I go away for a couple of weeks and yous all go ballistic. Dammit as I like a good barney. Nice to see we are back in love in mode.
Be Like Water

User avatar
Boog
Newbie
Newbie
Posts: 16
Joined: Thu, 29 Jan 2009

Postby Boog » Thu, 29 Jan 2009 7:57 pm

99% of friendly singaporeans being disgrace by 1% of dumbdumbs....

it's such dumb singaporeans that makes me wanna migrate along with 127000(2007 statistic) countrymen.

User avatar
Boog
Newbie
Newbie
Posts: 16
Joined: Thu, 29 Jan 2009

Re: I hate expats

Postby Boog » Thu, 29 Jan 2009 8:27 pm

twista88 wrote: Asians expats are never a problem for us cause we more or else hail from the same ethnic backgrounds and share the same culture.

Twista88




singaporeans are used to white expats since 19th century and nobody has any major problem with them through out singapore's short history.

it's the late 90s till now with all those asian expats holding faked degrees, jumping queues, talking loudly, making a mountain out of a molehill complaint in foodcourts/hawkercentres, urinate in public, faking their own mother tongue to talk like a brit, even despised their own kind in serangoon/geylang with rude gestures and the best part is i am talking about white collar asian "expats" not construction workers -

these are the ones that pissed off most singaporeans. including me.

Dont believe me? Go to any kopi tiam and ask the below questions.

Those who jump queues - indians or angmoh?
Those who talk at the top of their voice - mainland chinese or angmoh?
Those who spit/urinate in public - mainland chinese, indians or angmoh?
Those who act as if they are Kings in retail/restaurants - indians or angmoh?

no local singaporean will answer angmoh!

User avatar
EADG
Reporter
Reporter
Posts: 880
Joined: Thu, 01 Sep 2005

Re: I hate expats

Postby EADG » Sat, 31 Jan 2009 1:58 pm

Well Baf I was thinking the same thing, and held out until now…

Bafana wrote:Frak - I go away for a couple of weeks and yous all go ballistic. Dammit as I like a good barney. Nice to see we are back in love in mode.


twista88 wrote:Everyone in this forum has the right to speak their mind.


…and hopefully that continues

But I doubt in this country it is a ‘right’

twista88 wrote: Asians expats are never a problem for us cause we more or else hail from the same ethnic backgrounds and share the same culture.

twista88 wrote: …Now who is trying to show superiority here?..


How many occasions here I saw how despicably “Asians”
Ape Shall Not Kill Ape

morenangpinay
Reporter
Reporter
Posts: 890
Joined: Mon, 02 Mar 2009

Postby morenangpinay » Thu, 12 Mar 2009 12:37 am

honestly no matter how we keep saying singapore is a multi racial country, the fact remains there is an underlying resentment...against foreigners for being in Singapore. How many times have i read on the newspaper that singaporeans are complaining that foreigners take their jobs etc...and don't get me started on the inequality issues..

lets not kid ourselves, the issues are there.

User avatar
maneo
Reporter
Reporter
Posts: 724
Joined: Sat, 15 Mar 2008
Location: Titik Merah Kecil

Postby maneo » Fri, 13 Mar 2009 2:21 am

ksl wrote:Full moon was on the 26th Of January :lol:

You were kidding, right??? :-s

morenangpinay
Reporter
Reporter
Posts: 890
Joined: Mon, 02 Mar 2009

Re: I hate expats

Postby morenangpinay » Sat, 14 Mar 2009 12:03 am

EADG wrote:
twista88 wrote: Asians expats are never a problem for us cause we more or else hail from the same ethnic backgrounds and share the same culture.

twista88 wrote: …Now who is trying to show superiority here?..


How many occasions here I saw how despicably “Asians”

User avatar
sundaymorningstaple
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 34259
Joined: Thu, 11 Nov 2004
Location: Still Fishing!
Contact:

Re: I hate expats

Postby sundaymorningstaple » Sat, 14 Mar 2009 11:07 am

morenangpinay wrote:this i experience very frequently.. and sad to say i was surprised there is racial discrimination among fellow asians. its sad because its the first time i traveled to another country, first world at that. im sorry but i experience it first hand.


Just a slight correction to your statement above, you should have said "first world at that (infrastructure only)." :-|

BigRedButton
Newbie
Newbie
Posts: 3
Joined: Sat, 04 Apr 2009

Postby BigRedButton » Sat, 04 Apr 2009 5:40 pm

It appears that the majority of locals posting on these forums lack a basic spell-checker and grammar-checker. This makes me feel special.

Now that my insecurities have been dealt with, back to the topic. Because this thread amuses me, I shall pioneer a collation of the most entertaining quotes to grace it in this post (with their authors credited for posterity's sake):

Category: Historical Inaccuracy (i.e. My post is a piece of emotional garbage. I shall fabricate some evidence to make it sound impressive.)

"You're obviosuly a Singaporean that doesn;t realise that without the expats you'd still be a kampong of Malaysia." -bigfilsing

"Without us you'd struggle to be Bintan ( at best) and JB ( at worst) Asia couldnl't organise a piss up in a brewery. Not my opinion just facts." -bigfilsing


And that's about it. I am very much aggrieved at the lack of variety (in both content and authorship) present in the selection, but the quality present in these quotes more than makes up for that.

Well played, Twista88. You trolled good, and you trolled hard. A pity some of the more rational ones in the thread put a stop to what would have been an excellent series of replies. Next time you attempt something similar to this, do remember to make it more subtle, and use appropriate punctuation and grammar. If you cast the illusion of literacy, your bullshit will be taken seriously for that much longer.

As for bigfilsing, before you post, it would be a good idea to stoop down to the level of the locals you detest so fervently, and pick up a Primary Six social studies textbook. Although it's no cure for idiocy, it may help you appear more intelligent than you really are. On second thoughts, don't. Your posts are fabulous entertainment.

Either way, this thread was a splendid read. A fine example of trolling and whiplash reflex (although the latter was unfortunately curbed by common sense). I look forward to more threads like these.

Plavt
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 4289
Joined: Wed, 18 May 2005
Location: United Kingdom

Postby Plavt » Sat, 04 Apr 2009 7:49 pm

Global Citizen wrote:
I'm in agreement with Banana here.

Plavt, changing the title of the thread to something as provocative as "I hate expats", was meant to incite and it did. While I may understand your motivation, I certainly don't agree with it.

Further, deactivating Banana's account because he called you out on it, c'mon! Sorry but a mod putting out popcorn to watch the ensuing fracas is fanning the flames, hardly putting the fire out.


All very well for you to say what you have here; what you and WIMH for that matter didn't see was the number of taunts and provocative posts made by banana in response to my PM's and replies I made in the open threads (which I deleted) which is why I disabled his account. The popcorn was simply because I intended to let the posters concerned slug it out between themselves, fearing a fracas that ultimately happened anyway.

As for changing the title of the thread, not one solitary poster used their common sense and PM'd me, I would have acknowledged them if they had as I have done on other boards. To cap it all this is only a website and nobody gets hurt.

Consider this: there are certain people here who will remain nameless who are s**** stirring every time I post hence my lack of activity lately.

BigRedButton
Newbie
Newbie
Posts: 3
Joined: Sat, 04 Apr 2009

Postby BigRedButton » Sat, 04 Apr 2009 10:59 pm

Plavt wrote:
Global Citizen wrote:
I'm in agreement with Banana here.

Plavt, changing the title of the thread to something as provocative as "I hate expats", was meant to incite and it did. While I may understand your motivation, I certainly don't agree with it.

Further, deactivating Banana's account because he called you out on it, c'mon! Sorry but a mod putting out popcorn to watch the ensuing fracas is fanning the flames, hardly putting the fire out.


All very well for you to say what you have here; what you and WIMH for that matter didn't see was the number of taunts and provocative posts made by banana in response to my PM's and replies I made in the open threads (which I deleted) which is why I disabled his account. The popcorn was simply because I intended to let the posters concerned slug it out between themselves, fearing a fracas that ultimately happened anyway.

As for changing the title of the thread, not one solitary poster used their common sense and PM'd me, I would have acknowledged them if they had as I have done on other boards. To cap it all this is only a website and nobody gets hurt.

Consider this: there are certain people here who will remain nameless who are s**** stirring every time I post hence my lack of activity lately.


The internet is serious business.


  • Similar Topics
    Replies
    Views
    Last post

Return to “Leisure Chat, Jokes, Rubbish”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 0 guests