Singapore Expats Forum

Is using walkie-talkies illegal in Singapore?

Discuss about the latest news & interesting topics, real life experience or other out of topic discussions with locals & expatriates in Singapore.

carteki
Editor
Editor

Is using walkie-talkies illegal in Singapore?

Postby carteki » Fri, 23 Jan 2009 10:11 am

I was at the checkout at Mustafa's yesterday and saw packets of walkie-talkies for sale with the label "The are for export purposes only..." Wow, I never expected that!

sundaymorningstaple

Postby sundaymorningstaple » Fri, 23 Jan 2009 10:29 am

Yes, there are walki-talki's allowable here, but only for security purposes (Cisco is a good example). I believe there are some closed circuit ones available as well but you need to check as I think there permits required.

BodyBlitz
Chatter
Chatter

Postby BodyBlitz » Fri, 23 Jan 2009 2:21 pm

you can buy them, you can use them but the warranty is not by the local companies/distros/branches here.

yoongf
Chatter
Chatter

Postby yoongf » Fri, 23 Jan 2009 11:41 pm

Walkie Talkies are allowed for use in Sg, but there are certain power and frequency restrictions.

URL CENSORED DUE TO COPYRIGHT ISSUES

Those that do not comply with local regulations are typically labelled "for export only"

skye
Chatter
Chatter

Postby skye » Sat, 24 Jan 2009 1:04 pm

We bought walkie talkies a while ago in Toys R Us which are fine for use in Singapore. As previous poster said, if they are labelled "for export only", they most likely don't conform to Singapore regulations on frequency. Most countries have some sort of restrictions like that so they don't interfere with other signals eg emergency services, coast guard etc.

bigfilsing
Reporter
Reporter

Postby bigfilsing » Mon, 26 Jan 2009 11:49 am

Proffesional walkies are allowed but must be registered and have a type approval .There's also an annual renewable licience.

The 2 way radios at TrU are low powered ( unlikely to cause interferance) and more than likely on the 27Mc band ( called the citizens band in most countries) which isn;t used by the authorities.

Vaucluse
Director
Director

Postby Vaucluse » Mon, 26 Jan 2009 5:49 pm

We always used walkie-talkies to communicate with our eldest when she was downstairs playing with her friends. (Yes, guarded and gated . . . and she was 10 at the time)

'nuff said Image