Singapore Expats Forum

Are Singapores News Anchors Dumb?

Discuss about the latest news & interesting topics, real life experience or other out of topic discussions with locals & expatriates in Singapore.

ScoobyDoes
Manager
Manager

Postby ScoobyDoes » Thu, 29 Jan 2009 10:38 am

bigfilsing wrote:My favorite has to be a few years back when Saturday front page news was a kid winning the "name the budget terminal" prize > the winning name ==== wait for it ....Budget terminal
Cracked me up!!! :D

If thats your front page then you can't honestly expect to be taken seriously.

Wasn't that a sketch on The Noose?

It is quite funny that a lot of people in the US now view Comedy Central's Jon Stewart in The daily Show as the most accurate and unbias way of catching up with the news. That and........ the BBC! :o

jpatokal

Postby jpatokal » Fri, 30 Jan 2009 12:37 am

Vaucluse wrote:You sound a right dickhead with your first comment, but that's probably the way you are . . . as for the running competition results . . . do you ever watch news wherever you were vomited up?

Nobody's complaining about Channel 5 doing local interest stories (although mostly they just do local uninteresting stories). But this is Channel NewsAsia, which has pretensions of aping CNN and actually covering the whole continent. Here's what their own website says:

Channel NewsAsia positions itself as an Asian TV News channel, fully complemented by English and Chinese online portals that provide news and information on global developments with Asian perspectives. Channel NewsAsia brings viewers not only the latest news but also the stories behind the headlines.

And I agree with Andy21 that they totally fail at accomplishing this: I don't think I've ever seen, for example, a single piece of investigative journalism on the thing. (Which I try to avoid, but am nevertheless force-fed from half the TVs at my gym...)
Vaguely heretical thoughts on travel technology at Gyrovague

AngryAngMo
Regular
Regular

Postby AngryAngMo » Fri, 30 Jan 2009 10:59 am

Ah, thx jpatokal,

we are obviously back to the topic and your post was more then interesting... btw. i have the same problem at my gym :)

Vaucluse
Director
Director

Postby Vaucluse » Fri, 30 Jan 2009 12:54 pm

Ah, but CNN also have 'humn interest' stories about cats up trees, grannies doing the long jump wtc . . .

All I'm saying is that to cast your net as wide as possible with your libido frustrations sounds ignorant and arrogant.

As far as I'm concerned AJ is about the best around at the moment

'nuff said Image