Singapore Expats Forum

Fewer people applying for PR?

Relocating, travelling or planning to make Singapore home? Discuss the criterias, passes or visa that is required.
xtasy010
Regular
Regular

Fewer people applying for PR?

Postby xtasy010 » Tue, 20 Jan 2009 5:03 pm

Last month I decided to apply for PR and found that we need to get an appointment online before going to submit the application and the next available date was only in late March. On rechecking the site today I found that appointments are now available through out Feb and Mar.

This has gotten me wondering if people who had initially planned on applying for PR and made appointments have decided not to do so because of the current economic situation, any thoughts?
Last edited by xtasy010 on Wed, 21 Jan 2009 10:45 am, edited 1 time in total.

durain
Director
Director

Postby durain » Wed, 21 Jan 2009 12:25 am

maybe ICA hire more staff, therefore more efficient? you want it quick, dont you?

xtasy010
Regular
Regular

Postby xtasy010 » Wed, 21 Jan 2009 10:48 am

Yes that possibility did cross my mind :)

smayrhofer
Regular
Regular

Postby smayrhofer » Wed, 21 Jan 2009 11:07 am

I wouldn't be surprised. There are probably quite a lot of people who were working here and in the PR application process, then unexpectedly got laid off.

The other way around, it could be that the government has hired more staff. Job creation in bad times and all that - it would be in line with that article about 30,000 new job being created this year.

boffenl
Reporter
Reporter

Postby boffenl » Wed, 21 Jan 2009 11:08 am

I don't know, when I was at ICA recently for my final interview the room was half empty--same when we went bakc to pick up our new NRIC cards. Spooky since when I went in August it was packed to the rafters. I think folks are moving on--no contract, no PR. If you've been sacked since making the appointment, no use going to the appointment.

srman

Postby srman » Sun, 01 Feb 2009 9:26 am

One cant apply for PR when one is out of a job or the future is uncertain - unless you are willing to commit $$$ to a local investment.....so yes now is a great time to visit ICA...

Saint
Director
Director

Postby Saint » Sun, 01 Feb 2009 10:28 am

srman wrote:One cant apply for PR when one is out of a job or the future is uncertain - unless you are willing to commit $$$ to a local investment.....so yes now is a great time to visit ICA...

One can apply for PR if you haven't got a job in Singapore

sundaymorningstaple

Postby sundaymorningstaple » Sun, 01 Feb 2009 4:05 pm

Yeah, saint, but it works a bit better when you have family ties here to do that. :wink:

nyuu

Postby nyuu » Sun, 01 Feb 2009 5:59 pm

Just read an artical in the Sunday Times that there are infact more people applying for PRs. It seems that people are queing up at the ICA office...

durain
Director
Director

Postby durain » Sun, 01 Feb 2009 8:17 pm

applying is one thing, getting it is another... :wink:

DaisyRae
Regular
Regular

Postby DaisyRae » Sun, 01 Feb 2009 8:24 pm

Speaking of PR applications, does anyone know their qualifying criteria?? I've heard many people say they're quite arbitrary in deciding who gets the PR and who doesn't. Wondering if it's true.
Hindsight is always 20/20.

xtasy010
Regular
Regular

Postby xtasy010 » Sun, 01 Feb 2009 10:37 pm

You can check the eligibility at ICA's website

As far as being successful goes, its anybody's guess. I would say the longer you have lived in Singapore the better a chance you have.