Singapore Expats Forum

Would you suggest moving to Singapore?

Events and gatherings for the 30's Club
San Fran Canuck

Would you suggest moving to Singapore?

Postby San Fran Canuck » Mon, 19 Jan 2009 11:52 pm

Hi There,

I am considering a relo for 6 to 12 months from San Francisco to either Singapore or Hong Kong. I'd love to get some local input from folks that just recently moved down. I am in my mid thirties, Caucasian and single. How has it been meeting new people, assimilating, finding housing, pollution, getting involved in activities?

Thanks in advance for your help!

moto
Regular
Regular

Re: Would you suggest moving to Singapore?

Postby moto » Tue, 20 Jan 2009 10:26 pm

It really depends on what will bring you here... While there are some lonely expats here (search for the thread somewhere), almost all of those I have met in gatherings are quite pleased with their stay here... But there is great variation in our experience bec of our work... Some jobs and industries provide greater incomes and perks which enable greater mobility and choices in housing, leisure, etc--but this is true in any other country anyway. It is easy to move around and join groups bec most things are organized and most people speak understandable English (though Singlish can be challenging at times).

Hong Kong v Singapore--now that is a great debate!

QRM
Manager
Manager

Postby QRM » Tue, 20 Jan 2009 11:51 pm

Mid thirties and no family? Hong Kong is alot more fun, it has season, boating, mountains, and never sleeps, though the women tend to check out the size of your wallet first, and the pollution there really sucks these days.

If you want a more sleepy laid back way of life then Singapore is for you, some restaurants and shops still close on Sundays here.