Singapore Expats Forum

Ring setting design

Discuss about the latest news & interesting topics, real life experience or other out of topic discussions with locals & expatriates in Singapore.

weakknee

Ring setting design

Postby weakknee » Mon, 19 Jan 2009 10:04 am

I am looking for some help to find a reputable jewelery designer that would help create a design of a one off setting for an engagement ring. I have the idea in mind but need a jeweler to take this idea and create the setting....I do not have the diamond/s as yet for the setting but I believe in most instances these can be done separately? Any comments or help appreciated

Cheers

RULDS
Regular
Regular

Re: Ring setting design

Postby RULDS » Mon, 19 Jan 2009 12:53 pm

weakknee wrote:I am looking for some help to find a reputable jewelery designer that would help create a design of a one off setting for an engagement ring. I have the idea in mind but need a jeweler to take this idea and create the setting....I do not have the diamond/s as yet for the setting but I believe in most instances these can be done separately? Any comments or help appreciated

Cheers

I have some contacts. Please PM me if you are interested. In answer to your question, yes...you can definately get them separately and if a jeweler tells you differently...leave.

sundaymorningstaple

Postby sundaymorningstaple » Mon, 19 Jan 2009 1:13 pm

Why can't you post these "contacts" here so that all our readers can benefit in the future without having to bombard you with PM's. Or is there a commission involved with your "contacts"? :-|

Zeenit
Reporter
Reporter

Postby Zeenit » Mon, 19 Jan 2009 1:22 pm

sundaymorningstaple wrote:Why can't you post these "contacts" here so that all our readers can benefit in the future without having to bombard you with PM's. Or is there a commission involved with your "contacts"? :-|

I would also be interested in a jewller but not now and I think other people might be too. :-|
Zeenit

RULDS
Regular
Regular

Postby RULDS » Mon, 19 Jan 2009 2:05 pm

sundaymorningstaple wrote:Why can't you post these "contacts" here so that all our readers can benefit in the future without having to bombard you with PM's. Or is there a commission involved with your "contacts"? :-|

SMS ...my favorite mod. I was trying to be subtle without trying to advertise that I deal with diamonds/custom settings on the side. If you could have taken a look at my profile and would have found out that I'm a diamond broker and with whom I am associated with.

If I came out and stated that I deal with diamonds then I would have heard the

...tic...toc...tic...toc.... GO ADVERTISE ON THE CLASSIFIED SECTION (which I have

So there...that is why I phrased it as it was. There has been 2 other diamond threads that I have commented on and yes, you threw someone off because people were advertising and creating other profiles stating they were customers -- only problem was that they were off the same IP address.

SMS, I would say that I can hook you up but I know you are not a diamond guy.

durain
Director
Director

Postby durain » Mon, 19 Jan 2009 6:28 pm

btw, newbie is too new to use PM function.

sundaymorningstaple

Postby sundaymorningstaple » Mon, 19 Jan 2009 6:37 pm

I know you were being subtle, I also remember the several threads before. That is why I called you out. But I have to be even handed as I'm sure you are aware. That's why the gentle reminder. You been here quite a while so you know I normally just "Chop" those posts and accounts with further ado.

Hint. Put your hyperlink in your signature suitably but sedately titled. Don't refer to it in your posts. Talk all you want about diamonds OR vinegar OR exercise like ksl & BodyBlitz do. It's called passive advertising which we allow. If your advice is good in your posts, people will eventually click on your link in your signature or go to your profile and find a URL link there (also permissible) but you just cannot "actively" promote yourself. :wink:

sms

carolynW
Chatter
Chatter

Postby carolynW » Mon, 19 Jan 2009 7:42 pm

Call 6738 1368, its the carat club, ask for sara, i know the place can be intimidating but the service and price for quality is very good.

RULDS
Regular
Regular

Postby RULDS » Tue, 20 Jan 2009 1:01 pm

sundaymorningstaple wrote:I know you were being subtle, I also remember the several threads before. That is why I called you out. But I have to be even handed as I'm sure you are aware. That's why the gentle reminder. You been here quite a while so you know I normally just "Chop" those posts and accounts with further ado.

Hint. Put your hyperlink in your signature suitably but sedately titled. Don't refer to it in your posts. Talk all you want about diamonds OR vinegar OR exercise like ksl & BodyBlitz do. It's called passive advertising which we allow. If your advice is good in your posts, people will eventually click on your link in your signature or go to your profile and find a URL link there (also permissible) but you just cannot "actively" promote yourself. :wink:

sms

SMS...thanks for the gracious advice. I tried doing that before but couldn't get it to work so I just dropped it. I have enough to keep me busy with my 'real' job so I don't typically adverstise. Plus, it's just for fun on the side.

I was glad that you didn't use your wit on me because after I read my post, it sounded like I was complaining or whatever and it set me up to get trampled over but I actually just typed it quickly without thinking of how it could be perceived.

I think you need to start up a sticky thread and post all of your replies cause sometimes I just read yours for the entertainment and it could save me some time :wink:

moto
Regular
Regular

Postby moto » Tue, 20 Jan 2009 10:15 pm

i was searching for jewelry shops myself the other day and found vivo diamonds and they apparently custom design stuff... but this is NOT a referral since i am neither from the shop nor have i contacted them at all... and i haven't a clue about jewelry... just thought i'd help...

SMS, i apologize if this might seem as an ad... but i hope my disclaimer is clear enough :)

sundaymorningstaple

Postby sundaymorningstaple » Tue, 20 Jan 2009 11:57 pm

As most will tell you here, I'm hard but fair and I'm usually pretty spot on. We tend to get pretty good at reading between the lines when it comes to advertising. We've pretty much seen it all but we're constantly being tested to keep us on our toes! :P

The give away is not the posting of a website or a brick & mortar location. It's generally the "call me, PM me, my MSN number is or something similar. We provide our information for the express purpose of helping others and not helping ourselves. Call it charity, call it payback, call it paying it forward. Somebody helped us somewhere along the line and for me, it's a way of paying it back to the next newcomer to this little red dot.

Course at times I'm only human as well, so sometimes I've gotta take the mickey out of somebody or play with the trolls for a while if I'm in a sportin' mood! :mrgreen:

That why all of us moderators here are also regular joes. We all were regulars here at one time or another. We tend to stay around for a while. Our newest was Plavt and I think that's been near on two years now. We post in our personal mode all the time and when ever we post as a moderator we will sign off that post as moderator to let people know we are posting in a official capacity and not as ourselves. I tend to highlight my mod posts in blue.

sms

IdealD

weakknee

Postby IdealD » Thu, 22 Jan 2009 12:56 pm

There are a few places in Singapore that custom design. Jewel Box, Canary, The Carat Club and Fairy Inc.

You have a couple of options when buying diamonds and settings.

1. You could purchase the stone and setting locally.
2. You could purchase the stone online through an internet vendor and have it set locally.

OR

3. Purchase the stone online through an internet vendor and have them design something for you. They would then ship the whole ring to you.

Happy searching

IdealD :D

RULDS
Regular
Regular

Re: weakknee

Postby RULDS » Fri, 23 Jan 2009 4:45 pm

IdealD wrote:There are a few places in Singapore that custom design. Jewel Box, Canary, The Carat Club and Fairy Inc.

You have a couple of options when buying diamonds and settings.

1. You could purchase the stone and setting locally.
2. You could purchase the stone online through an internet vendor and have it set locally.

OR

3. Purchase the stone online through an internet vendor and have them design something for you. They would then ship the whole ring to you.

Happy searching

IdealD :D

...good advice but just remember if you buy from bluenile (who have good prices and I would buy from them if I had to) or another internet vendor -- just remember you will probably have to pay the GST when it goes through customs. I ordered a diamond when I first arrived and the UPS guy handed me a bill for $337 before I got my diamond :o

IdealD

re:weakknee

Postby IdealD » Fri, 23 Jan 2009 8:55 pm

Yes RULDS you do incur the 7% GST.

I still found online pricing to be competitive with the domestic market.

You might like to try these additional websites to get a clearer idea of pricing and what signature cut diamonds each vendor offers.

1. http://whiteflash.com
2. http://goodoldgold.com
3. http://jamesallen.com
4. http://engagementringsdirect.com

IdealD

weakknee

thanks

Postby weakknee » Fri, 30 Jan 2009 8:30 pm

many thanks for all the advice