Singapore Expats Forum

nanny in Singapore

Post here to organise an event, gathering, meetup, party. Search for expats from your country, sports partners or meet new friends here!

nanny in Singapore

Postby Hildegard » Sun, 18 Jan 2009 4:30 pm

Im An Australian Nanny working in singapore and wondering if there are any other western nannies out there who are interested in meeting up either in a social capacity or meeting up for playdates.

send me an email at:

a bit off topic

Postby Shona » Thu, 29 Jan 2009 10:07 am

Hi, I know this is not what you were asking, but I spotted your post, and maybe you are the perfect person to give me some info, if you would be so kind.

I am an aussie, living in China, about to be transferred to singapore. I have a 9 year old girl and a 2 year old boy, and am VERY concerned about how things will work for us there. I have been reading blogs and websites, and am just getting emotionally exhausted trying to sort out how things work, and the best way to go. All the blogs seem to give the impression that:
1) all maids live in a cupboard, work 20 hours a day, and get beaten regularly.

2) All maids are dishonest, conniving, lazy troublemakers who will probably beat your children.

I know neither of these things can be true, but man, I'm getting stressed trying to decide what the story is there.

I tried to find out about getting a nanny. (not a maid, someone who's job would be taking care of the kids first and foremost) But its hard to work out whether I can get someone who basically would come 8 - 6 5 days a week, or something like that. I dont even know if its legal! Seems like it is compulsory to live in? Its all too hard.

Now, here you are, an aussie working as a nanny in Singapore. Any chance you could tell me basically EVERYTHING you know?????

Postby lorelei » Sun, 15 Mar 2009 5:09 pm

Actually, there are nannies available in Singapore, mostly through word of mouth. However, these nannies are mostly locals, and speak Singlish. If you are just looking for someone to look after your kids 8to6, it shouldn't be a problem :)

Postby sundaymorningstaple » Sun, 15 Mar 2009 9:06 pm

Domestic help and Nannies have no separation in the eyes of the Ministry of Manpower here in Singapore. The problem, obviously, it that those that want Nannies (in the traditional western connotation of the word) cannot hire them as they are considered "domestic help" and as such are ONLY allowed to be from traditional source countries (Asean Countries and PRC).

The only way around that is finding as practicing Nanny of western descent who is a PR or Citizen. Then, they are not required to have a work permit but at the same time the earning power may not be all that good considering you can get a Filipina with a university degree to work as a domestic for less than 500/month.