Singapore Expats

Where to buy fans

Discuss about life in Singapore. Ask about cost of living, housing, travel, etiquette & lifestyle. Share experience & advice with Singaporeans & expat staying in Singapore.
pbez

Where to buy fans

Post by pbez » Sat, 17 Jan 2009 8:04 pm

Hi, everyone!

We recently arrived in Singapore and would like to know where we can buy good quality fans/ceiling fans. We received our first electric bill in the value of $400! We hope that fans or ceiling fans will decrease this value considerably. We are open to suggestions. Many thanks!

pbez

road.not.taken
Editor
Editor

Post by road.not.taken » Sun, 18 Jan 2009 7:09 am

Ceiling fans can be found in some/most of the lighting shops all along Balestier Road, that would be a good start.

durain
Director
Director

Post by durain » Sun, 18 Jan 2009 7:37 am

any electrical stores will sell fans! you need to go out more. :) :wink:

road.not.taken
Editor
Editor

Post by road.not.taken » Sun, 18 Jan 2009 8:36 am

Not ceiling fans, you need to put your glasses on 8-)

durain
Director
Director

Post by durain » Sun, 18 Jan 2009 8:53 am

i didnt say ceiling fans, did i. the OP question was for fans or ceiling fans.

and to get a ceiling fan, you need a hook and electrical wiring ready. cant just stick one up!

road.not.taken
Editor
Editor

Post by road.not.taken » Sun, 18 Jan 2009 9:01 am

durain wrote:the OP question was for fans or ceiling fans.

and to get a ceiling fan, you need a hook and electrical wiring ready. cant just stick one up!
I choose to just answer the 'ceiling fans' part of the question. I know what's involved with installing a ceiling fan, but that's not what the OP asked, is it?

durain
Director
Director

Post by durain » Sun, 18 Jan 2009 9:08 am

and mine on free standing fans. just chill rnt. :wink:

road.not.taken
Editor
Editor

Post by road.not.taken » Sun, 18 Jan 2009 9:27 am

No need to chill in this nice weather. Boy, I feel sorry for people who just moved here and think the weather is this nice all the time. :roll:

pbez,

I bought my ceiling fans on Balestier Rd. Most shops like Courts, Best Denki, etc... only seem to carry the floor (like durain described), table top or wall models. If you decide a ceiling fan is what you want, ask the shop you buy it at if they can install it, I think they charged me $50. Might want to check if it's OK with your landlord first.

skye
Chatter
Chatter

Post by skye » Sun, 18 Jan 2009 12:35 pm

For ceiling fans, with or without light fitting as well, IMM at Jurong has several shops mostly grouped together on one floor. They will also install either free or for a small fee, about $50. There are a few warehouse/factory showrooms out at Ubi industrial park - google for ceiling fans Ubi Avenue and a few should pop up.

jfd

Post by jfd » Sun, 18 Jan 2009 3:25 pm

Shouldn't need to buy fans if you have enough talent. Get a few gigs together, give it a bit of time, and if you don't completely suck, you will have plenty of fans.

Although why you would want some of them to hang around on the ceiling is beyond me...

sundaymorningstaple
Answers: 21

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Sun, 18 Jan 2009 10:52 pm

jfd,

Probably the same reason as we are letting you hang around this thread instead of shunting your post off to the garbage/rubbish forum. The poster has asked a fair question.

SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

jfd

Post by jfd » Mon, 19 Jan 2009 12:15 am

sundaymorningstaple wrote:jfd,

Probably the same reason as we are letting you hang around this thread instead of shunting your post off to the garbage/rubbish forum. The poster has asked a fair question.

lol, sms, too late on a Sunday perhaps? Should have added the :wink: I guess.

I understand it was a fair qn, just trying to add a bit of humour.

Sorry sir, wont happen again! :D :wink:

irvine
Chatter
Chatter

Post by irvine » Mon, 19 Jan 2009 12:18 pm

Mustafa in Serangoon!

We get everything (except groceries) in Mustafa. It is crowded, but it really has almost everything under the sun.

As for prices.. Mustafa is quite competitive. You can also check on appliance sales listed on newspapers. As for me, I have a price book. Yay for frugal living. :p

pbez

Post by pbez » Mon, 19 Jan 2009 8:16 pm

Thanks to all of you for your responses. I am slowly learning where to go for all sorts of things. I think this is the hardest part when you move to a new country: learning where things are. Specially when you have a child, it can get a bit crazy because the amount of things to do is multiplied by at least 10!
Thanks!
pbez

louy
Chatter
Chatter

Post by louy » Wed, 28 Jan 2009 1:57 pm

irvine wrote:Mustafa in Serangoon!

We get everything (except groceries) in Mustafa. It is crowded, but it really has almost everything under the sun.

As for prices.. Mustafa is quite competitive. You can also check on appliance sales listed on newspapers. As for me, I have a price book. Yay for frugal living. :p
Whats a price book ? and where may I get one from ?