Singapore Expats

Help with shipping from the US!

Discuss about the latest news & interesting topics, real life experience or other out of topic discussions with locals & expatriates in Singapore.
oniononion

Help with shipping from the US!

Post by oniononion » Fri, 16 Jan 2009 8:53 am

I'm not sure where to post this so my apologies in advance.

Hello guys.
I am expecting a package from the united states to singapore from a friend of mine and it is currently listed as "Status: Into Foreign Customs". It has been like this for a day now and from what I heard, usually customs releases it immediately unless they find a reason to inspect it.
The package that my friend is sending me is a big box and inside the box is mini boxes containing computer parts. He built a computer and is sending it to me basically. I'm worried because he also included some DVDs in it that contain pirated games and I believe he also installed them on the harddrive. Will customs check this? If so, what will they do if they find out these are pirated things? Will the entire package be sent back, confiscation of the entire package, confiscation of the things containing the pirated materials, or will he or I be fined??

I'm going to give it a couple more days to see if it gets out of customs safely but this has got me really paranoid. Does anyone have any insight on this? Thanks

cbavasi
Reporter
Reporter

Post by cbavasi » Fri, 16 Jan 2009 8:57 am

can't help you on the pirated stuff - but i recently posted about a big box my mom sent from the US on dec 3rd and we still hadn't received in january. we finally received this week - i'm not sure they opened it - but i think it sat in customs a really long time. she normally sends large envelope packages and those go through customs in a day or two - but i think maybe the boxes take longer (?)

oniononion

Post by oniononion » Fri, 16 Jan 2009 10:07 am

Oh I see. Do you know of anyway I can check the status or if its being held captive in the customs place? I was told usps has no information on it once its in customs so I have to wait till its been released. Is there a number I can call within singapore to know whats going on with the package?

cbavasi
Reporter
Reporter

Post by cbavasi » Sat, 17 Jan 2009 8:38 pm

i called the general number for the singapore post (Tel: 1605) and gave them the priority airmail number from the US. by the time i realized i could give them the US number our package was on route to delivery. worth a try to see if they can help you.