Singapore Expats Forum

EP Question for International Assignment

Relocating, travelling or planning to make Singapore home? Discuss the criterias, passes or visa that is required.
urbanpair

EP Question for International Assignment

Postby urbanpair » Thu, 15 Jan 2009 11:10 pm

First, I apologize if this is a repeat question, I have done my best to search the forum, but think my situation is a bit unique.

I currently work for a large MNC in the USA. I have been offered a temporary international assignment in Singapore for 2 years.

My question is, in this situation, do the same rules for the EP apply? My salary will be well above the EP requirement, I have over 10 years of experience in my field. My issue is around a university degree. While I did attend a major university in the USA for 4 years, I took a job before actually completing the degree. I am not leaving my company and applying to a different one in Singapore, rather it is an internal assignment.

I have done the self assessment and don't think I will have an issue. However, I was curious as to how this type of International Assignment situation is handled. Was not sure if large MNC's have some type of waiver for internal placements or anything else.

Thank you for any input and as a long time reader of the forum, have always found this to be very informative.

sundaymorningstaple

Postby sundaymorningstaple » Fri, 16 Jan 2009 7:05 am

MNC's are under no illusions here. They generally have to follow the same rules as all other companies. With regard to education, yes, you must meet the minimum educational requirements. HOWEVER.

If you are earning in excess of $7,000 per month in salary (not counting any perks) then you qualify for the P1 Employment Pass. (Top level EP). The though process is that if you are earning in excess of that month then the company must feel that you are well qualified for the position, degree or not so therefore the government puts more weight in experience at that point and it's doesn't bar excellent people on account of a technicality. So if you will be earning in excess of that figure monthly you shouldn't have a problem.

sms

urbanpair

Postby urbanpair » Fri, 16 Jan 2009 8:41 am

Thank you for the reply. That is what I thought, however I was not sure. I appreciate your response. Because my situation was an internal company move, I was not sure if the process was different than someone being hired as a new employee.

Regardless, thank you for the response.