Singapore Expats Forum

Bali- Holiday destinations, advice

Discuss about the latest news & interesting topics, real life experience or other out of topic discussions with locals & expatriates in Singapore.

ozchick
Editor
Editor

Bali- Holiday destinations, advice

Postby ozchick » Wed, 14 Jan 2009 3:32 pm

Was looking at Lombok(Bali) but can't find consistent reviews about any resorts there. Can anyone recommend peaceful accomm with gym, modern quality amenities, sea-views anywhere on Bali , Lombok etc for Feb holiday. Apparently there are lovely whie beaches or yucky greay beaches, depending on where you are. Found an old thread with some info on there about the Gili Islands off Lombak but otherwise my travel agent's ideas don't seem to match reviews I've read...thanks for any info at all.
'Are you trying to tempt me because I come from the land of plenty?'

road.not.taken
Editor
Editor

Re: Bali- Holiday destinations, advice

Postby road.not.taken » Wed, 14 Jan 2009 4:22 pm

ozchick wrote:Was looking at Lombok(Bali) but can't find consistent reviews about any resorts there. Can anyone recommend peaceful accomm with gym, modern quality amenities, sea-views anywhere on Bali , Lombok etc for Feb holiday. Apparently there are lovely whie beaches or yucky greay beaches, depending on where you are. Found an old thread with some info on there about the Gili Islands off Lombak but otherwise my travel agent's ideas don't seem to match reviews I've read...thanks for any info at all.

Sure you have that right Ozchick? Bali and Lombok are close to each other, but very, very different. I prefer Bali, you might like something around Ubud, avoid Kuta like the plague it is. Seminyak is nice and quiet. There are many, many resorts to choose from in every price range. My husband's company recently bought a villa on a gorgeous black sand beach. It's lovely so I wouldn't hold out for white sand, it's not Bali's forte -- you know?

DimWit Kid
Chatter
Chatter

Postby DimWit Kid » Wed, 14 Jan 2009 6:29 pm

Bali and Lombok are two different islands. Lombok is an island east of Bali. As for tourism, Bali is much more developed and I guess more commercial than Lombok. From your description about what you want, ozchick, Bali sounds like a better place as I think Lombok may be lack of choices - it's a place for a quiet, secluded and simple holidays - also for backpack probably nice, hiking up the mountain in the island. If you still want to go there, I recommend Senggigi area, and I think the good hotels with adequate amenities are the usual: Sheraton, Oberoi, or probably Tugu and Pool Villa.

Otherwise I agree with road not taken. Go to Bali and go for Ubud or Seminyak. Or if you have money to splash for a real luxury holiday - you can stay at Uluwatu area - Bvlgari... (search it on google) :) Man, that place is real nice... if only...

sillingw
Chatter
Chatter

Postby sillingw » Thu, 15 Jan 2009 11:06 am

I was in Lombok for a week last year, believe it or not, on business - I took my family along for the fun of it - We were at the Sheraton resort which had the amenities you are looking for (great pool, Gym, beach restaurants etc) but Lombok is pretty sparse on tourist attractions so we didn'y venture too much outside the resort - went to the islands one day and my wife and son took a road trip tour of the island. Bali is much more sophisticated (and therefore commercial) although not my favourite place (I prefer Thailand for family vacations). My biggest criticism of Bali is the constant hassle you get from people trying to sell you something, we never got a minutes peace - even trying to nap on the beach, they will come up and shake you awake - let alone the tourist sites where you will be surrounded and aggresively sold - I just got fed up of it, but it is a beautifull island

pakjohn
Chatter
Chatter

Postby pakjohn » Thu, 15 Jan 2009 4:46 pm

I don't know how big a deal this is;

Indo papers have reported an outbreak of rabies on Bali. I don't know any details other than an article in the Jakarta paper. (Dated Jan. 13)

I'd take Bali over Lombok (rabies aside) for a first trip. Hire a guide, (about 45 U.S. per day, includes car), see the volcano, Ubuud, the temples and rice paddies. Good for a weekend trip.
Pakjohn

ruthlopez22

Postby ruthlopez22 » Thu, 15 Jan 2009 8:42 pm

Its a very nice.

road.not.taken
Editor
Editor

Postby road.not.taken » Thu, 15 Jan 2009 8:49 pm

ruthlopez22 wrote:Its a very nice.

Well said =D>

sundaymorningstaple

Postby sundaymorningstaple » Fri, 16 Jan 2009 12:47 am

Yeah, she waited till her forth post before she added the links to her signature. Now she's history. Oh well, bye-bye ruthie! :wave:

road.not.taken
Editor
Editor

Postby road.not.taken » Fri, 16 Jan 2009 4:55 am

sillingw wrote: We were at the Sheraton resort which had the amenities you are looking for (great pool, Gym, beach restaurants etc) but Lombok is pretty sparse on tourist attractions so we didn'y venture too much outside the resort -

I came home from the Sheraton with a raging case of Dengue that knocked me down for 4 weeks. Three of the 5 kids (all under 6) we went with got food poisoning or some bug and one was hospitalized in Singapore with dehydration. I'm sure they are more careful now, but I'd be very, very careful in Lombok (and Bali for that matter)when it comes to personal health. It's Indonesia afterall.

chippie
Regular
Regular

Postby chippie » Fri, 16 Jan 2009 5:52 am

Try the Novetel in kuta lombok,we have been to Bali about 20 times,if you want top class hotel service etc.Not much to do there, surf a little diving.But if you want to just relax in peace and quiet it cant be beat'Not to exspencive;

ozchick
Editor
Editor

Postby ozchick » Fri, 16 Jan 2009 6:25 pm

Oh God RNT ! Ah...I never thought of getting sick. But yeah now that some of you mention it , my tummy wasn't happy after my trip to Ubud back in '95....I think I used their tap water when I cleaned my teeth...sigh...the smallest error can bring one undone. I'm reading 'tired and worn-out' reviews about the Sheraton. Have booked my flights to Lombok, happy to veg out or go diving etc, but can't find any one place that most reviews deem to be excellent. Anyone been to the 'Sheraton' recently?

road.not.taken
Editor
Editor

Postby road.not.taken » Fri, 16 Jan 2009 6:33 pm

They ferry trip between Bali & Lombok is very fun. A veritable roller coaster over the plates that separate continents of Asia from Australia. Giant swells :o Guess it's good you're flying. Ozchick, never, ever brush with 3rd world tap water. No salads, no ice, no fruit with a skin, etc... I'm sure you know the drill.

ozchick
Editor
Editor

Postby ozchick » Sat, 17 Jan 2009 1:22 pm

road.not.taken wrote:They ferry trip between Bali & Lombok is very fun. A veritable roller coaster over the plates that separate continents of Asia from Australia. Giant swells :o Guess it's good you're flying. Ozchick, never, ever brush with 3rd world tap water. No salads, no ice, no fruit with a skin, etc... I'm sure you know the drill.

No salads? No ice? Surely the Novotel is reliable no? Jeezaloo...I feel sick before I've even gone there!!!

DimWit Kid
Chatter
Chatter

Postby DimWit Kid » Sat, 17 Jan 2009 1:38 pm

road.not.taken wrote:Ozchick, never, ever brush with 3rd world tap water. No salads, no ice, no fruit with a skin, etc... I'm sure you know the drill.

I find that advice is a bit overboard for Bali or Lombok... especially if you're staying at 5 star hotels there. I would say those are okay. RNT, have you even ever tried? Or it's just an overzealous overparanoid advice? I'm sure it's something other than eating at the hotel that you do that gets you the poisoning, and I find your tone is a bit demeaning.

I've been with many people from many nationalities to Bali and certainly at the destination hotels we are talking about here I have never seen any adverse effect. Lombok I have not tried everything but at Senggigi Sheraton, my aussie friends are definitely okay.

pakjohn
Chatter
Chatter

Postby pakjohn » Sat, 17 Jan 2009 3:48 pm

I find that advice is a bit overboard for Bali or Lombok... especially if you're staying at 5 star hotels there. I would say those are okay. RNT, have you even ever tried? Or it's just an overzealous overparanoid advice? I'm sure it's something other than eating at the hotel that you do that gets you the poisoning, and I find your tone is a bit demeaning.

I don't think it demeaning and I don't think it's meant as an indictment against the people. In the example of Lombok or Bali, the water contains impurities not found in Singapore water, our immune systems see these as a threat and cause the normal symptons. I generally brush my teeth with the water but I'm careful, even in the 5 star hotels in Indo, not to drink tap water, use the ice or even eat raw vegetables. I lived in Indo for almost a year, and after the first month of being sick, got used to the food and had no more problems. (I could even drink the tap water, but rarely did)

While the 5 star hotel kitchens and food storage may be more sanitary, the water still comes from the same place. If you're only going to be a few days even a couple weeks, save yourself a bit of discomfort and avoid the water, ice, and raw veggies.
Pakjohn