Singapore Expats Forum

A reminder of racism

Discuss about the latest news & interesting topics, real life experience or other out of topic discussions with locals & expatriates in Singapore.

ksl
Governor
Governor

A reminder of racism

Postby ksl » Wed, 14 Jan 2009 4:27 am

I was quite shocked when i saw this attack on a young English girl in Aberdeen, it is a reminder, that racism is everywhere, and even westerners suffer it too.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/uk_news/scot ... 826264.stm

I was also racially verbally abused in Taiwan, although I stood my ground at a bus stop, and didn't back down either, I didn't utter a word, but knew it was a racial onslaught of words from 4 meters away.

I waited to see, what the loud mouthed building worker would do, while his mates stood behind him, although they didn't say a word either, it was a tense moment but not of fear, i just stared him straight in the eyes to let him know i was ready for him, although he backed away and continued his work.

This in Scotland almost happened to me, when i was in the cadets, i was 14 years old, when a gang of scottish chased me, lucky for me I didn't quite get a beating like the above, but i did get a few boots and a mouthful of abuse.

My first father-in-law was from Scotland and a very fine articulate man he was too, I have quite a few friends from Scotland, and can vouch for them has being very hospitable and not at all racist, people should be proud of their roots, although i tend to cringe at the thought of the lager louts on holidays in Europe.

I also mentioned on the NS thread, that on manoeuvres it is typical to have the Scottish or Irish has the enemy, for realism, they put their pride and soul into their training, if an Englishman is on the other end of it.

But no hard feelings afterwards, the casualties do mount up, surprisingly more than would happen normally on active service, but you get the message that it is a real threat you will be facing, when petrol bombs are thrown directly at you along with paving stones.

Lets all work for peace and understanding correcting our kin no matter what age, that we all are, black white pink or yellow, there is no need, to speak to people like what I have witnessed in a Singapore maids office.

I believe that many people working with the maids, need educating in how to speak to their fellow humans, even though they are maids, and slaves to many.
It is appalling verbal tones I have witnessed, that reminded me of the films i had watched on slavery, not to mention the female verbal attacker, who would have even frightened the living daylights out of a samurai warrior matching them for size too.

When will this planet stop repeating history and move on, then we can call it history, in stead of history repeats itself!

Global Citizen
Reporter
Reporter

Re: A reminder of racism

Postby Global Citizen » Wed, 14 Jan 2009 11:07 am

ksl wrote:
Lets all work for peace and understanding correcting our kin no matter what age, that we all are, black white pink or yellow, there is no need, to speak to people like what I have witnessed in a Singapore maids office.

I believe that many people working with the maids, need educating in how to speak to their fellow humans, even though they are maids, and slaves to many.
It is appalling verbal tones I have witnessed, that reminded me of the films i had watched on slavery, not to mention the female verbal attacker, who would have even frightened the living daylights out of a samurai warrior matching them for size too.

When will this planet stop repeating history and move on, then we can call it history, in stead of history repeats itself!

Well said KSL.

Far too many in our society seem to lack compassion, kindness and common decency to our fellow men. If we could only remember this simple rule: We should all have respect for human dignity.
One man's meat is another's poison.

carolynW
Chatter
Chatter

Postby carolynW » Wed, 14 Jan 2009 1:23 pm

I just read Malcolm Gladwells recent book on Outliers - the story of success, there is an interesting chapter on the background one comes from, not just one or two generations but maybe 8 to 10 generations back and the "attitudes" of herder families vs. farmer families.

Quite interesting read on why some people get angry really quick that escalates to serious fighting and retaliation, while others walk away and laugh about it. Made me think that even with education, how does one escape the underlying cultural upbringing that is transmitted unconciously.

Some of these people in the study he mentioned have not been herders for generations but their families still pass down their "family values".

TennoHekka
Regular
Regular

Postby TennoHekka » Sat, 17 Jan 2009 1:56 am

ksl wrote:I was quite shocked when i saw this attack on a young English girl in Aberdeen, it is a reminder, that racism is everywhere, and even westerners suffer it too.

I was also racially verbally abused in Taiwan, although I stood my ground at a bus stop, and didn't back down either, I didn't utter a word, but knew it was a racial onslaught of words from 4 meters away.

I waited to see, what the loud mouthed building worker would do, while his mates stood behind him, although they didn't say a word either, it was a tense moment but not of fear, i just stared him straight in the eyes to let him know i was ready for him, although he backed away and continued his work.

This in Scotland almost happened to me, when i was in the cadets, i was 14 years old, when a gang of scottish chased me, lucky for me I didn't quite get a beating like the above, but i did get a few boots and a mouthful of abuse.

My first father-in-law was from Scotland and a very fine articulate man he was too, I have quite a few friends from Scotland, and can vouch for them has being very hospitable and not at all racist, people should be proud of their roots, although i tend to cringe at the thought of the lager louts on holidays in Europe.

I also mentioned on the NS thread, that on manoeuvres it is typical to have the Scottish or Irish has the enemy, for realism, they put their pride and soul into their training, if an Englishman is on the other end of it.

But no hard feelings afterwards, the casualties do mount up, surprisingly more than would happen normally on active service, but you get the message that it is a real threat you will be facing, when petrol bombs are thrown directly at you along with paving stones.

Humans are scum unless proven otherwise, so there's no surprise of racism in any part of the world. I myself received so many racist taunts and threats in the west its not even funny, so I don't feel any sympathy when they get a lil of it in Asia. I myself don't harbor hatred for any one race, but piss me off bad enough, I'll make the kempetai look like Julie Andrews and her "viennese choir"... :evil:

ksl
Governor
Governor

Postby ksl » Sat, 17 Jan 2009 2:37 am

TennoHekka wrote:
ksl wrote:I was quite shocked when i saw this attack on a young English girl in Aberdeen, it is a reminder, that racism is everywhere, and even westerners suffer it too.

Humans are scum unless proven otherwise, so there's no surprise of racism in any part of the world. I myself received so many racist taunts and threats in the west its not even funny, so I don't feel any sympathy when they get a lil of it in Asia. I myself don't harbor hatred for any one race, but piss me off bad enough, I'll make the kempetai look like Julie Andrews and her "viennese choir"... :evil:

Tennoheka says: so I don't feel any sympathy
Appears you have also inherited the genes! Kempetai! Not to feel any sympathy, is just like saying you, would watch it happen, because you have received racist taunts, quite honestly that is quite disturbing, although i am not at all surprised.

If I had have seen you being pestered by a group of dimwits, I would have probably done something about it. It is wrong that you suffered, and it is wrong for anyone to suffer, but it's even more wrong not top feel any sympathy for a human, that has taken a beating for nothing, no matter what race.

Read what you wrote, humans are scum until proven otherwise! Like I have always said to me son, never bite first, otherwise you end up in trouble! Remain cool, and defend yourself if you have too! But never ever attack because we are not predators, it is the easiest thing in the world to kill by accident, attacking first would may send you to the gallows.

If you are so capable "kempetai" you have no need to let sticks and stone's break your bones. :wink: the sooner you can master your temper, the sooner, your genes may change and your offspring may benefit.

sundaymorningstaple

Postby sundaymorningstaple » Sat, 17 Jan 2009 7:10 am

TennoHekka wrote:Humans are scum unless proven otherwise, so there's no surprise of racism in any part of the world. I myself received so many racist taunts and threats in the west its not even funny, so I don't feel any sympathy when they get a lil of it in Asia. I myself don't harbor hatred for any one race, but piss me off bad enough, I'll make the kempetai look like Julie Andrews and her "viennese choir"... :evil:

The sign of a small man..... "two wrongs make a right". :?

So very typical......

Vaucluse
Director
Director

Postby Vaucluse » Wed, 21 Jan 2009 10:21 pm

I fail to see how this can be called racism. Shockingly primitive tribalism at its worst, more likely.

But then:
Lucy Newman, 22, of Gourdon, near Inverbervie, was attacked close to the Trinity Centre on Union Street in the early hours of Saturday.

She told BBC Scotland a man made racial remarks relating to her English accent before punching her in the face.

The attack left Ms Newman, who moved from Cheltenham about 15 years ago, with a fractured cheek bone.

She arrived when she was seven and still has a discernible English accent 15 years later . . . ?

Still . . . bloody animals

'nuff said Image