Singapore Expats Forum

Greedy Landlord

Discuss about the latest news & interesting topics, real life experience or other out of topic discussions with locals & expatriates in Singapore.

ramdas

Greedy Landlord

Postby ramdas » Tue, 13 Jan 2009 4:30 pm

All was normal in our household at Blk 96, Henderson Road, we were awaiting arrival of our first baby in Apr ' 09, parents were visiting us.
We were living in a 1 bedroom unit, so with relatives coming to stay with us and rentals sky rocketing we decided to buy a HDB flat.

We were to move into our new unit on 7th Jan ' 09, and we let landlord know that we are moving out by first week of January.
While paying rent for the month of November. All hell went loose, on 3rd Dec landlord decided to raise rental by 65% for the last month we are using his unit,
we disagreed and informed him of moving to newly purchased flat. On 29th Dec evening, landlord put a peddle lock on unit we rented, shock.
I was stranded with no shelter.

We went to neighborhood police station for help, the police ask him to come down,landlord said he's busy and will come on 30th Dec at 2:30 pm at the rented unit.
We left NPS at about 2 am on 30th. On 30th we waited for him at the said time, he messaged on my husband's HP instructing to pay him arears from month of October as
per raised rent else he'll not let us take our belongings, horror. Although unreasonable, my husband agreed to pay him 1k SGD to get over with, the landlord's reply,
rather a threat through SMS, that he'll sell all our belongings to recover his money, panic.

We went to police station and lodged a FIR. On 31st Dec we went to Subordinate Court and lodged a complaint against the landlord.
The honorable judge after considering the situation that we were in, gave clear instruction to police to allow us to take our personal belongings.
With the instruction we went to Clementi police station, police come along with the landlord. Landlord did not allow us to take all our belongings, and
so does the IO(investigating Officer), surprise surprise, we wondered why is courts instruction not followed.
Also even if the landlord has got any claim it has to be done through appropriate means and mechanism. We are just feeling as if being held for ransom and

On 2nd Jan ' 09 we went to our area Honorable MP Ms Indranee Rajah during meet the people session, she sent letter to police HQ for assistance.
With MP's letter we went to police station on 3rd Jan, the police called the landlord and landlord did not allow us to take our belongings.
Upon requesting court to expedite thing we were given mediation notice to attend on 12th Jan. We went to court for mediation to take place on 12 Jan.
but the landlord didn't turn up.And the judge has asked us to proceed to civil court at 6 pm in the evening

As foreigners, we always think twice before we take a step ahead and always strive to be most correct. With no relatives to help us out, we have spent these 15 most traumatic days of our lives under tremendous stress.Our unborn child is suffering because
somebody is greedy. Our greatest fear, landlord might try to cause us physical harm too. Our day-to-day essential things are still held up in the room forcefully.
Would appreciate if someone can guide us on places where we can turn to for speedy and fair redressal of the issue

Why can't there be some stricter laws to protect innocent tenants?

Rithish

Re: Greedy Landlord

Postby Rithish » Tue, 13 Jan 2009 4:43 pm

ramdas wrote:All was normal in our household at Blk 96, Henderson Road, we were awaiting arrival of our first baby in Apr ' 09, parents were visiting us.
We were living in a 1 bedroom unit, so with relatives coming to stay with us and rentals sky rocketing we decided to buy a HDB flat.

We were to move into our new unit on 7th Jan ' 09, and we let landlord know that we are moving out by first week of January.
While paying rent for the month of November. All hell went loose, on 3rd Dec landlord decided to raise rental by 65% for the last month we are using his unit,
we disagreed and informed him of moving to newly purchased flat. On 29th Dec evening, landlord put a peddle lock on unit we rented, shock.
I was stranded with no shelter.

We went to neighborhood police station for help, the police ask him to come down,landlord said he's busy and will come on 30th Dec at 2:30 pm at the rented unit.
We left NPS at about 2 am on 30th. On 30th we waited for him at the said time, he messaged on my husband's HP instructing to pay him arears from month of October as
per raised rent else he'll not let us take our belongings, horror. Although unreasonable, my husband agreed to pay him 1k SGD to get over with, the landlord's reply,
rather a threat through SMS, that he'll sell all our belongings to recover his money, panic.

We went to police station and lodged a FIR. On 31st Dec we went to Subordinate Court and lodged a complaint against the landlord.
The honorable judge after considering the situation that we were in, gave clear instruction to police to allow us to take our personal belongings.
With the instruction we went to Clementi police station, police come along with the landlord. Landlord did not allow us to take all our belongings, and
so does the IO(investigating Officer), surprise surprise, we wondered why is courts instruction not followed.
Also even if the landlord has got any claim it has to be done through appropriate means and mechanism. We are just feeling as if being held for ransom and

On 2nd Jan ' 09 we went to our area Honorable MP Ms Indranee Rajah during meet the people session, she sent letter to police HQ for assistance.
With MP's letter we went to police station on 3rd Jan, the police called the landlord and landlord did not allow us to take our belongings.
Upon requesting court to expedite thing we were given mediation notice to attend on 12th Jan. We went to court for mediation to take place on 12 Jan.
but the landlord didn't turn up.And the judge has asked us to proceed to civil court at 6 pm in the evening

As foreigners, we always think twice before we take a step ahead and always strive to be most correct. With no relatives to help us out, we have spent these 15 most traumatic days of our lives under tremendous stress.Our unborn child is suffering because
somebody is greedy. Our greatest fear, landlord might try to cause us physical harm too. Our day-to-day essential things are still held up in the room forcefully.
Would appreciate if someone can guide us on places where we can turn to for speedy and fair redressal of the issue

Why can't there be some stricter laws to protect innocent tenants?

Hi, Is the landlord living in the same house as you? If not, break the lock, get yr stuff asap, but a new similar lock and lock it back. And let him figure it out. Do you have an tenancy agreement btw?

Or burn his house.. I'm thinking you are an expat, thats why he dare do this. But im suprise court order also kinda useless.

ramdas

Postby ramdas » Tue, 13 Jan 2009 5:17 pm

Many of my collegues have suggested this option. I don't want to be on the wrong side of the law. However I must say that all these days I have seen other side of sytem about which I have had great admiration.

BodyBlitz
Chatter
Chatter

Postby BodyBlitz » Tue, 13 Jan 2009 5:58 pm

I think you should write to the Newspaper and gain public sympathy and let the government know that their laws are useless.

Only then will they act, i feel sorry for your baby. If i was your husband, i'd break into the house and grab my stuff and leave.

maneo
Reporter
Reporter

Postby maneo » Wed, 14 Jan 2009 12:16 am

Would think a locksmith would have no problem with a padlock.

Might help if you have a paper from the judge saying you are entitled to remove your belongings.

ksl
Governor
Governor

Postby ksl » Wed, 14 Jan 2009 1:42 am

maneo wrote:Would think a locksmith would have no problem with a padlock.

Might help if you have a paper from the judge saying you are entitled to remove your belongings.
Under the circumstance, i would try to relax and follow the path of the law, avoid any contact whatsoever, you have the courts on your side, even if the police are not, take it back to your legal team and say you want the landlord to pay all the costs, too!

But material things are not worth loosing your sleep over if you have a pregnant wife, she's going to be worried sick for you, let the legal system deal with it, and don't panick try and hit him with legal fees too. But don't let him know your new address.

You also don't mention anything about the contract you had, was it due to run out in december, i don't think so, you probably had quite a few months to go maybe on the contract, even though you purchased a HDB. Which normally takes 3 months, and you gave him the notice in november, and the contract was maybe another 6 months, without knowing the full details it's a guessing game.

You wouldn't be in our old flat by any chance in paya lebar :lol:

jfd

Postby jfd » Wed, 14 Jan 2009 2:59 am

ksl wrote:you have the courts on your side, even if the police are not...]

:shock: Wow, this is truly amazing!! I had not imagined that this could happen in Singapore!

I think ksl is right about one thing, try to spread the word, to newspapers, and forums everywhere. NAME the landlord involved, he should not remain anonymous!!

I wish you luck.

sundaymorningstaple

Postby sundaymorningstaple » Wed, 14 Jan 2009 7:07 am

but just don't name him here. Or I'll be forced to delete it even though he deserves to be named (legal implications).

Again, If you have a writ saying you are entitled to enter your premises and remove your belongings and it's from the court. The grab yourself a locksmith and a police officer and go get it. (But you must have the writ from the court.)

Wind In My Hair
Manager
Manager

Re: Greedy Landlord

Postby Wind In My Hair » Wed, 14 Jan 2009 10:48 am

ramdas wrote:The honorable judge after considering the situation that we were in, gave clear instruction to police to allow us to take our personal belongings.

I'm not sure what is happening here. If the court ordered the landlord to return your things, and the police were there to enforce it, I find it very hard to believe that you all went to the apartment together and you were not let in at all. Something doesn't make sense.

1. Did the police and landlord let you into the apartment?
2. Did you take ANY belongings or nothing at all?
3. Did the landlord claim that some things you wanted to take were his?

I'm guessing from the circumstances that you were allowed to take some things but not everything you wanted to take, probably because the landlord claimed they were his and the police, having no proof either way, decided it was best to leave the things where they were until rightful ownership could be proved. I think everyone else is getting the impression from your post that you were not let in at all. So which is it?

If you had signed a rental contract, it should have stated very clearly what the unit came with - a list of all the furniture etc. The landlord has a legal claim to all of this, while you can claim that anything not on that inventory list belongs to you.

batgirl_cdn
Regular
Regular

Postby batgirl_cdn » Wed, 14 Jan 2009 2:42 pm

This sounds like a horrible situation. I'm sorry that you and your family are going through this. I think that you should get a locksmith and bring the court documents and a copy of your rental contract that states what furniture if anything is the landlord's. If the law has stated that you can take your things, you should take your things! Leaving it too long means that your landlord has time to sell or remove your things his/herself and you will never get them back.