Singapore Expats

Keep PR status although moving out of Singapore?

Relocating, travelling or planning to make Singapore home? Discuss the criterias, passes or visa that is required.
samudra

Keep PR status although moving out of Singapore?

Post by samudra » Thu, 08 Jan 2009 1:18 pm

I am SPR but I intend to move to another country and I would like to keep my PR status.

1. is this generally possible?
2. do I still need an official address here?
3. do I still have to contribute CPF and if - based on which calculation?

Anything else I should have in mind?

sundaymorningstaple
Answers: 21

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Thu, 08 Jan 2009 2:03 pm

You can keep it till the re-entry permit expires after the first 5 years. After that you will automatically lose it as you will not be able to satisfy the re-entry permit requirements of submitting the last three years Singapore tax returns. This is to keep some of our asian neighbours from "collecting" PR's from various countries like credit cards. I know lots of Indian nationals who tried to do this sort of thing but the government wise to it already, hence the requirement of the last 3 years tax returns.

If you are talking about moving to JB, it's possible I think but you would obviously still be working in Singapore and filing Singapore Tax returns and paying CPF as a PR. But if you are not working here? Pfffft!
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

samudra

Post by samudra » Thu, 08 Jan 2009 3:09 pm

very helpful, thank you! But what about the Pfffft? Does it mean "Who cares?" or "Then its difficult!" I would not work in SG anymore, company base would be in Jakarta...

jb_slinky

Post by jb_slinky » Thu, 08 Jan 2009 9:38 pm

hi, here're are some follow-up questions:

1. what if you voluntary pay for your CPF? will this help in retaining your Singapore PR even if you are living in a different country?

2. if you own an HDB or a private property such as condo, will you be able to retain your PR?