Singapore Expats Forum

Somene help please - Searching a topic

Announcements, promotions, news, help. Ask about registrations, avatars, PM and others. Post all your forum and Singapore Expats site related questions here.
Debbie007
Regular
Regular

Somene help please - Searching a topic

Postby Debbie007 » Thu, 08 Jan 2009 2:08 am

I have attempted to use the Search button on the top left hand side and when I type in subject line Canadian International School, I get all kinds of topics that are no where near related. Can you please tell me exactly what I need to input if I want to find out about that school? Much appreciated.

sierra2469alpha
Editor
Editor

Postby sierra2469alpha » Thu, 08 Jan 2009 12:38 pm

Debbie - you say the top LEFT hand side? Try usin g the search box on the actual page on the right hand side where it says:

Singapore Expats Forum
Singapore Expat Forum and Message Board for
Expats in Singapore & Expatriates Relocating to Singapore
[ box ]

enter your search in there.

HTH, P

Debbie007
Regular
Regular

Help - Search

Postby Debbie007 » Thu, 08 Jan 2009 3:17 pm

That's great, exactly what I needed. How does the other search button work, the one on the left hand side? Since going through each individual response is going to take very, very long. I would rather just have a list of posts for that category.

sierra2469alpha
Editor
Editor

Postby sierra2469alpha » Thu, 08 Jan 2009 3:58 pm

Hi Debbie - not sure what you mean by top LEFT search bar. Do you mean the SEARCH link that sits UNDER profile, and Above the private message link, and to the left of Log Out?

Could you tell me what type of internet browser you are using, and the type of computer?

Cheers, P

Debbie007
Regular
Regular

Postby Debbie007 » Thu, 08 Jan 2009 4:23 pm

Yes, I am talking about the Search that sits under Profile. Once I press that button and type in Canadian International Schools, how do the other buttons work (i.e. search query, results). I seem to just get every post every registered. I have used the other search method and it is excellent but just wondering how this one works as well. Not great on computer info. so don't know what browser means and we have Vista if that helps..

sierra2469alpha
Editor
Editor

Postby sierra2469alpha » Thu, 08 Jan 2009 4:33 pm

Hey again Debbie - no worries I've not actually used that search, but let me pass this thread onto one of the moderators - maybe there might be something going a little askew or something.

Glad you're finding what you're looking for. There seem to be many people who have put their kids into there so I'm sure they will be able to provide you with any further info you may require.

Cheers, Mr. P

zed31

Postby zed31 » Mon, 12 Jan 2009 6:51 pm

Using the search function for phpbb, if you put 'AND' between each word .. then every word entered must be in the search result .. if you put in 'OR' then any of the words may be in the search result

so.. Canadian AND international AND schools will come up with the results which contain all 3 words

and on the right hand side you define whether you are searching every post in each thread, or just the topic titles

Debbie007
Regular
Regular

Help - search

Postby Debbie007 » Mon, 12 Jan 2009 7:55 pm

thank you, that's very helpful.