Singapore Expats Forum

Visiting for a few days for job interview - Help Please!!!!

Post here to organise an event, gathering, meetup, party. Search for expats from your country, sports partners or meet new friends here!
Ukman

Visiting for a few days for job interview - Help Please!!!!

Postby Ukman » Thu, 08 Jan 2009 12:34 am

hi - i am from the UK and visiting Singapore for a few days for a job interview in late January - I am only in town Sun - Wed but would love to get to know more of the city and even meet up with a few people if possible whilst I am there.

I am staying by Raffles

Can anybody please give me some advice as to how I can best see as much as possible of Singapore on the few days and nights I am there.

Thanks for your advice

local lad
Chatter
Chatter

Postby local lad » Thu, 08 Jan 2009 1:18 pm

Welcome to Singapore, you can visit http://www.ducktours.com.sg during your short stay.

Cheers

sg2402

Postby sg2402 » Thu, 08 Jan 2009 2:35 pm

Singapore's a small place - only 40km from west to east in total - so a few days when you're staying in the middle will be enough time for you to look around the city.. you can walk if it's nice as you get to see more of the landmarks.

irvine
Chatter
Chatter

Postby irvine » Thu, 08 Jan 2009 4:39 pm

I guess you can ask your hotel concierge for tourist information. The public transportations here are pretty good, although you'd want to avoid peak hours - unless you want to experience your future should you accept the job offer.

For sight-seeing, do remember to bring light clothings (i.e. cotton shirt/t-shirt + bermuda shorts if you're ok with that), a hat, and walking shoes. A small foldable umbrella wouldn't hurt either, although you could buy it here should it rain animals.

Please note that Jan 26-27 is Chinese New Year (i.e. public holiday), and there may be some places closed. You could try Chinatown for some local decorations.

I must warn you about the crowd in Singapore. They are almost everywhere. Bring an Ipod.

Have fun exploring, and all the best in your interview! :)

Ukman

Postby Ukman » Thu, 08 Jan 2009 5:05 pm

Hi - Thanks for your advice

As I am only in Singapore for 3 nights (Sun, Mon and Tue) which areas / bars / restaurants do you suggest?

Dont forget I will be on my own !!

Thanks in advance!!

dawgbyte
Regular
Regular

Postby dawgbyte » Thu, 08 Jan 2009 6:03 pm

When you reach singapore airport, first thing you do is grab as much maps and fliers as you can. And study the map so you can have some ideas where to go.

For visits, I highly recommend you bring a camera too. If it can be set to manual, set it with shutter-drag (meaning you use flash but shutter is at 1/20s or slower).

Raffles hotel is in city hall area right? Then you can walk (or take a taxi but you will deprive yourself of the experience) towards "funan", that is one of the mall that caters to electronics. On its left is peninsula that caters to photography. Behind it is peninsula too, that caters to guitars. Just in case you are interested. Best time to come at daytime.

Then walk further until you reach the singapore river. Maybe 15min walk.

On your left is called boat quay. Mostly pubs and bars which caters to older crowds but be careful of the "tourist traps" like overpriced seafood restaurants along the river (at least its overpriced for cheapskates like me). Further up is raffles MRT (so you can also take MRT to reach this area). Best time to come at night.

From here, you can walk further up and you will reach esplanade. Here you will find the Singapore merlion, and the esplanade building (shape like durian or the face of an adolescent boy).

On your right is clark quay, where younger crowds (or peter pans like me) go. More colorful and rowdy. Colorful for your camera to snap. You can also take bumboats and ride along the river (but its mostly for tourist). Across the river is a mall (only one) and inside is the clark quay MRT (so you can also take). There are like 10++ bars and restaurants and pubs here. Brewerks (they make their own beer and food is yummy) and beside it is mexican (forgot the name), lunar (chinese bar), arena (bar with live band), pump room (they make their own beer and do try the spicy squid), zirco.. new bar i havent tried, clinic (you sit on the wheelchair and sip from an iv drip), etc etc. Best time to come at night. With all these food, you will be glad you walked a lot.

You can take clark quay MRT and next stop is china town MRT.. if you wanna get the feel of CNY here.. But be prepared to the crowd. Great time to mingle with locals. Best at daytime. Or another stop and its little india.

Or take that MRT and go all the way to Harbourfront MRT. Here you exit at Vivocity. So far the biggest mall. Check out the food court, with the old town motif. And on the 2nd floor cinema side, there is an exit that will lead you to St James. It's an old firestation that is now converted into a group of bars. You pay once and you can get into all of them. Popular is dragonfly, if you want to experience cheena music. Or movida for some latin music. Best at daytime.

*** Sorry. correction. vivocity best at daytime. bars and clubs at night time, of course. If daytime, take the train and go to sentosa (15min) instead.

From vivocity, go to 3rd floor. You can take a small train towards sentosa. I suppose no need to explain sentosa. You can also try to check out cafe del mar for a beach-bar (10min walk so be prepared, but in my humble opinion I think this place is a little over-rated). Stop at the 4th station (i think beach stn but please double check). Best at daytime.

Hmm.. i have to stop bec its 6PM in singapore and i wanna go home. I know its information overload but I do hope it helps.

Ducktour is nice but I feel its too expensive and you don't really get to feel like a local.

Other places you might wanna visit is singapore zoo and bird park (you need 1/2 to 1 day so I do not recommend). You can also try night safari but I also do not recommend because of your short trip and its location means you only do 1 thing for the night (unless you die-die wanna see it). Sommerset Orchard area for serious shopping. Stop at sommerset MRT and walk all the way to orchard, or vice versa. Bugis for some cheap shopping.

QRM
Manager
Manager

Postby QRM » Thu, 08 Jan 2009 8:04 pm

Guitars, camera, Shuttter-drag? Why not go the whole hog and tell him where the anorak shops are?

Have fun in Singapore, a few days is really all you need. If you can deal with the heat and humidity, coming from UK in Jan, try following the walking tours in the lonely planet Singapore guides.

Wind In My Hair
Manager
Manager

Postby Wind In My Hair » Thu, 08 Jan 2009 8:46 pm

I guess you're more interested in the city centre, but the only places I ever recommend here are:

1. Zoo / Night Safari (more accurately a night zoo): You can do both at once if you hit the zoo in the afternoon and stay till late at night. Both the zoo and night safari are among the best in the world - no cages, just moats and glass walls and generally 'natural' and friendly environments. Watch the scheduled animal shows in each. The trainers have a great relationship with the animals.

2. Bird Park: Again the shows are well worth watching - the All Stars have really smart birds, and the Birds of Prey show lets you see how the predator birds behave, which we generally don't get to see live unless you're a dedicated ornithologist. There's also a huge walk-in aviary, a nice artificial rainforest if you like.

3. Pulau Ubin: For a taste of Singapore 40 years ago, take the old bumboats from Changi jetty over to the island for a quick walk around. There's a protected mangrove swamp called Chek Jawa if you like that kind of thing, though entry is restricted to a certain quota a day, I think. Look out for the resident wild boar.

The rest is same as any other big city, just a little different in the details.

dawgbyte
Regular
Regular

Postby dawgbyte » Fri, 09 Jan 2009 12:56 am

QRM wrote:Guitars, camera, Shuttter-drag? Why not go the whole hog and tell him where the anorak shops are?

Have fun in Singapore, a few days is really all you need. If you can deal with the heat and humidity, coming from UK in Jan, try following the walking tours in the lonely planet Singapore guides.

What is anorac? Anyway.. someone advice an ipod so I add camera to that advice. The shops are just along the way so he have an option to do so, since funan is one of the place foreigners buy electronic goods (not the cheapest but safer than simlim).

I also assume part of the daytime he may not be free since this is an interview so if he is going to take photo at night, that's one way to take picture with bright background. He can ignore it since its just 1 sentence. Nighttime is also cooler if he can't take the heat. All these are just based on my interest and experience and not as a general guide.

By the way, how come your interview is in CNY? Most locals will not be free to join you because CNY family reunions and visiting relatives is mostly mandatory. And some of the shops will also be closed, except those aimed for visitors like zoo and parks and clubs. Good luck in your interview and enjoy your stay.

sundaymorningstaple

Postby sundaymorningstaple » Fri, 09 Jan 2009 7:04 am

Actually not a bad post at all dawgbyte. Shame I didn't think of it as it's from a different POV! :wink:

QRM
Manager
Manager

Postby QRM » Fri, 09 Jan 2009 10:42 am

dawgbyte wrote:What is anorac?

Dawgbyte,

I read that late last night and it brought a huge smile to my face and for that I got to thank you.

An Anorak is a heavy coat with a fur rimmed hood, normally worn when you are out Train Spotting or carol singing.

The original Poster PM me and mentioned he appreciated your efforts.

Hithnar
Regular
Regular

Postby Hithnar » Fri, 09 Jan 2009 11:00 am

Go to www.visitsingapore.com . With New Yr festival coming on, a trip to China Town to get squeezed in the insane crowds is also an option.

Sentosa is overrated IMO. Seriously not worth it.

QRM
Manager
Manager

Postby QRM » Fri, 09 Jan 2009 12:00 pm

Sentosa a total dump, Though the beaufort hotel is nice for an evening drink, and the cliff restaurant is nice at sunset.

dawgbyte
Regular
Regular

Postby dawgbyte » Fri, 09 Jan 2009 2:05 pm

QRM wrote:Dawgbyte,

I read that late last night and it brought a huge smile to my face and for that I got to thank you.

An Anorak is a heavy coat with a fur rimmed hood, normally worn when you are out Train Spotting or carol singing.

The original Poster PM me and mentioned he appreciated your efforts.

Oooh.. haha.. I imagined anorac is some kind of indian (the cowboy counterpart) effigy.. too much xfiles. Haha..

I agree sentosa is a dump. Mostly I go out with my local friends who are in their 20s and budget is an issue.. so sentosa for us mean $2 entry and stay at palawan beach and buy some drinks from 7-eleven nearby. The beach is a bit oily due to the tankers so not really recommended except as a tickbox for your "been there, done that" checklist. Its also the reason why my POV is full of walking and occasional MRT. :P

imrankassim
Regular
Regular

Postby imrankassim » Fri, 09 Jan 2009 2:14 pm

QRM wrote:Sentosa a total dump, Though the beaufort hotel is nice for an evening drink, and the cliff restaurant is nice at sunset.

dont forget siloso beach, the last true bikini haven, well at least on weekends !