Singapore Expats Forum

The R word very unPC

Discuss about the latest news & interesting topics, real life experience or other out of topic discussions with locals & expatriates in Singapore.

QRM
Manager
Manager

The R word very unPC

Postby QRM » Tue, 06 Jan 2009 2:25 pm

I was reading the paper we cannot mention and there was a article about a family and the word "Retard" was mentioned.

I have to admit I would use the same word without worrying about it, but recently I was on a US forum and used it and I got a real flaming from a load of folks saying that it is such a bad word bit like the N-word or F-word, and very un pc to use it. The correct term apparently is "Intellectually challenged".

A wheel chair user used to be called a cripple, then handicap, now disabled, all of which are deemed to have negative connotations, and now I have seen disabled folks being called People requiring technical care. :shock:

Soon baldies are going to be referred to folliclely challenged. Is it all getting a bit out of hand?

Wind In My Hair
Manager
Manager

Re: The R word very unPC

Postby Wind In My Hair » Tue, 06 Jan 2009 2:45 pm

QRM wrote:I have to admit I would use the same word without worrying about it, but recently I was on a US forum and used it and I got a real flaming

Gosh, you must be a blooming retard to use that word with those ultra-PC folks! :lol:

QRM wrote:The correct term apparently is "Intellectually challenged".

I feel intellectually challenged quite often. I suppose that makes me a retard. :-k

Wonder if anyone has done research on whether changing terms of reference changes people's attitudes, or if it just makes derogatory phrases longer and harder to say...

DimWit Kid
Chatter
Chatter

Postby DimWit Kid » Tue, 06 Jan 2009 3:23 pm

QRM wrote:I have to admit I would use the same word without worrying about it, but recently I was on a US forum and used it and I got a real flaming from a load of folks saying that it is such a bad word bit like the N-word or F-word, and very un pc to use it. The correct term apparently is "Intellectually challenged".

I think the R-word is worse than the F-word. F-word, when done, is still enjoyable. R-word is in no way enjoyable...

What the F--- is N-word, you R-word????

road.not.taken
Editor
Editor

Postby road.not.taken » Tue, 06 Jan 2009 7:28 pm

Apparently all the controversy swirling around the film Tropic Thunder passed you by? My kids aren't allowed to use the 'retard' at home to describe someone. They would get in trouble at school for it and it's considered offensive. For better or worse, Americans have a much lower threshold for cussing and epithets.

QRM
Manager
Manager

Postby QRM » Tue, 06 Jan 2009 8:19 pm

road.not.taken wrote:Apparently all the controversy swirling around the film Tropic Thunder passed you by? My kids aren't allowed to use the 'retard' at home to describe someone. They would get in trouble at school for it and it's considered offensive. For better or worse, Americans have a much lower threshold for cussing and epithets.

Tropical chunder went right over my head, I am still only allowed to watch Barney which is really spaz.

Its true about the Americans, I could not believe this, some firms have a toll free number that staff can call anonymously, if they feel a colleague has said something out of order. A chum of mine was pull by HR for describing someone as a C yoU Next Tuesday, in the lift.

danialgoh
Regular
Regular

Postby danialgoh » Tue, 06 Jan 2009 11:24 pm

Err...lets move this thread to the "jokes" section?

sundaymorningstaple

Postby sundaymorningstaple » Wed, 07 Jan 2009 12:08 am

Nah, let's just move YOU to the jokes section instead so we don't need to keep reading your little one liners. :P

danialgoh
Regular
Regular

Postby danialgoh » Wed, 07 Jan 2009 12:27 am

I am beginning to feel that you guys love having me around here.

danialgoh
Regular
Regular

Postby danialgoh » Wed, 07 Jan 2009 12:34 am

DimWit Kid wrote:
QRM wrote:What the F--- is N-word, you R-word????

Try asking a black guy what is the N-word. He will beat the crap out of you.

QRM
Manager
Manager

Postby QRM » Wed, 07 Jan 2009 1:08 am

danialgoh wrote:
Try asking a black guy what is the N-word. He will beat the crap out of you.

Danial,

It was a tongue in cheek rhetorical question which makes it amusing, it was not actually a question.

Things are not like a maths text book where everything is so black and white. Here is a helpful hint, why don't you try cryptic crosswords, that way you can start to read between You can have a better understanding of what is actually being said, you will then avoid coming over as a Y front wearing, church going, how to put it nicely?... Nerd? who doesn't get it.

Plus, you better get a grasp of how to edit the quotes otherwise it all becomes a bit confusing who was the real author of the quotes.

Edited to correct the contagious Singlish
Last edited by QRM on Thu, 08 Jan 2009 3:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.

ukdesigner
Chatter
Chatter

Postby ukdesigner » Wed, 07 Jan 2009 11:23 am

Are black people black anymore or are they all "African Americans"? I get confused with all this these days.

I've never used the N-word but black people get all upset by it. Have you seen the black rap videos? All they mention is the N-word and then us whiteys get all strung up for it. About time they made their own mind up.

Retard was something we used to say as kids. I wouldn't use it these days personally but then again I tend to keep my mouth shut some of the time as I never know what you can and can't say.

Americans do seem to be super sensitive about swearing. They ought to go to the UK. We cuss like there's no tomorrow, or, hang on, maybe that's just me. The F-word is part of my daily vocab. The C-word is for extremes and I just love the W-word. Very British the W-word and has a wonderful sound too... :D
Don't p*ss me off! I am running out of places to hide the bodies.

Addadude
Reporter
Reporter

Postby Addadude » Wed, 07 Jan 2009 12:55 pm

ukdesigner wrote:...and I just love the W-word. Very British the W-word and has a wonderful sound too... :D

Dim and distant past time: Do you remember a Miami Vice episode where Phil Collins (who was guest starring as a villan) asked Don Johnson, "D'you know what a w(b)anker is?"

In Ireland (as I was just reminded when I was back there for Christmas), the F word is used as a form of punctuation. As in "Jazus, it's (F Word)in' freezing out there. Get us an (F Word)in' pint ya (F Word)er!"

QRM
Manager
Manager

Postby QRM » Wed, 07 Jan 2009 4:20 pm

Addadude wrote:
ukdesigner wrote:...and I just love the W-word. Very British the W-word and has a wonderful sound too... :D

Dim and distant past time: Do you remember a Miami Vice episode where Phil Collins (who was guest starring as a villan) asked Don Johnson, "D'you know what a w(b)anker is?"

In Ireland (as I was just reminded when I was back there for Christmas), the F word is used as a form of punctuation. As in "Jazus, it's (F Word)in' freezing out there. Get us an (F Word)in' pint ya (F Word)er!"

An oldie but goldie

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CCcCzj_yRtk

As to the the word African American doesnt seem to work so well as African British? or white folks will soon be known as Pigmentationally challenged people?

Time to slowly walk off the thin ice.

Lhaksam

Postby Lhaksam » Wed, 07 Jan 2009 11:14 pm

The F-word is one of the most flexible in the English language. Not only can it be used as verb, adjective, adverb, particle etc but it is also an infix - a rarity in English.

We have prefixes and suffixes but only the F word acts as an infix. Eg un-F'ing-believable, irre-F'ing-sponsible.

Interesting to note the difference in position here. Maybe it's about lyrical choice. Or maybe morphological boundaries.

ukdesigner
Chatter
Chatter

Postby ukdesigner » Wed, 07 Jan 2009 11:28 pm

QRM that video is excellent. Seen it so many times. Just love it. There should be one for the W-word. I just love saying that word and my Asian friends here just crack up when I say it too.

And yes why is it a black person in America says that they're African American yet a black person in the UK is well er.... Black! You're right African British or African Scottish, Welsh or Irish just doesn't sound right does it?

So what are us whiteys? There was a film I seem to remember where some women was trying to come up with strange variants on ethnicity. I remember now, it was in the film Domino. Worth a look as it's hilarious.

I think being PC has gone so far now that we are screwed beyond belief. Why can't we just be people. That can't be too hard to live with can it?

I remember that episode of Miami Vice. Excellent with all those mad coloured suits too. Although old Phil was very crap in it.
Don't p*ss me off! I am running out of places to hide the bodies.