Singapore Expats

Tenant paying TV License - but leaving Singapore in 2 months

Discuss about life in Singapore. Ask about cost of living, housing, travel, etiquette & lifestyle. Share experience & advice with Singaporeans & expat staying in Singapore.
capdail

Tenant paying TV License - but leaving Singapore in 2 months

Post by capdail » Tue, 06 Jan 2009 11:22 am

I'm a tenant at a condo, and have paid last year's TV license bill that arrived in the mail under the landlord's name. This year's license payment notice arrived recently, but I'm hesitating about what to do because my rental contract will expire in March and I will leave Singapore. Should I pay the full year's TV license and ask for a proportional reimbursement from the landlord for the remaining 9 months of the year?
Thanks!

gillypadi

Post by gillypadi » Tue, 06 Jan 2009 1:51 pm

it's only $110 for the year which works out to $9.17 a month. I would give it to him as a gesture of goodwill if the landlord has been nice and understanding. If he has been nasty and calculative with the small things when you move out, then ask him to reimburse you $82.50. Just keep a receipt of the payment.

Blue Sapphire
Chatter
Chatter

Post by Blue Sapphire » Tue, 06 Jan 2009 11:38 pm

Oh I was just wondering whether expat tenants are suppose to pay the tv license bill themselves or does the landlord do as part of the package?

Zeenit
Reporter
Reporter

Post by Zeenit » Wed, 07 Jan 2009 9:19 am

Blue Sapphire wrote:Oh I was just wondering whether expat tenants are suppose to pay the tv license bill themselves or does the landlord do as part of the package?
Its part of our rental so we dont pay seperately.
Zeenit

Rithish

Post by Rithish » Sat, 10 Jan 2009 4:23 pm

Actually, it depends on the contract. Usually its included in the rent.

Cheers

eeeee

Post by eeeee » Sat, 10 Jan 2009 5:35 pm

I'll just pay for the whole amount, as a goodwill gesture. It's not a lot of money anyway.

ksl
Governor
Governor

Post by ksl » Sun, 11 Jan 2009 5:04 am

eeeee wrote:I'll just pay for the whole amount, as a goodwill gesture. It's not a lot of money anyway.
Your heart is in the right place, that's all that matters, let others deal with the rights & wrongs, pay it forward always! And you will always feel you did the right thing! It's not about are they cheating or not....or making on you....because you really own nothing! It's all on loan, until the day you move on, then the rest may squabble, but rest assured you will be free in mind and spirit!

fantasizing

Post by fantasizing » Wed, 28 Jan 2009 9:28 am

Hi, can anyone tell me the enquiry tel no. to pay the TV license bill?? I lost mine and need that number to ask them to resend the bill to me la!

pat17eve

MDA website - TV licence

Post by pat17eve » Wed, 28 Jan 2009 1:32 pm

Customer Service Hotline at 1800 478 5478 during our office hours (Mondays to Fridays 8.30am to 5.30pm and Saturdays 8.30am to 1.00pm
CENTRAL SINGAPORE, SERANGOON

louy
Chatter
Chatter

Post by louy » Wed, 28 Jan 2009 1:50 pm

TV license ??? :???:

What is this exactly ???
I have been here for 4 months, this is the first I heard of such thing.

smayrhofer
Regular
Regular

Post by smayrhofer » Wed, 28 Jan 2009 3:19 pm

You need to have a TV license if you own a TV. This is supposed to support the local TV network or something. Your place may already have a TV license, but you should check with your landlord to be sure.

sundaymorningstaple
Answers: 21

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Wed, 28 Jan 2009 4:57 pm

Normally the TV license is sent to the landlord via attachment to the property tax bill that comes due in January (bill is usually sent out in late November or early December. It's due and payable by the 31 of January. As pointed out before, it's $110 (per TV and technically Radio as well). The landlord normally pays it and it's part of his general expenses of renting out the unit. Some might be persnickity and want to be reimbursed. If so, so be it. It's within their rights but it should be spelled out in the contract.
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

louy
Chatter
Chatter

Post by louy » Wed, 28 Jan 2009 9:26 pm

My landlord has kept a key to the mail box. Any such letters he must have already taken and as it is in his name and he has so far mentioned nothing to me, I assume it is his responsibility.

As such, as it is sent to the landlord, I guess I can not be presecuted for it.

Anyway, this TV here is also his.

:P

laugher

Post by laugher » Tue, 03 Feb 2009 12:24 am

smayrhofer wrote:You need to have a TV license if you own a TV. This is supposed to support the local TV network or something. Your place may already have a TV license, but you should check with your landlord to be sure.
Can I ask the dumb question - what if I don't own a TV? How does my landlord (or in fact, anyone else for that matter) even know I own a TV? :o

sundaymorningstaple
Answers: 21

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Tue, 03 Feb 2009 2:01 pm

Big brother monitors everything! :o
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers