Singapore Expats Forum

Maternity leave, baby bonus, passort, citizenship

A moderated forum for serious discussions only.
yoho
Newbie
Newbie
Posts: 5
Joined: Mon, 05 Jan 2009

Maternity leave, baby bonus, passort, citizenship

Postby yoho » Mon, 05 Jan 2009 10:25 pm

Hi, All,

Got a question related to the renuncification of citizenship for my child when he grows. As my child is going to be born in Singapore and my wife is a Singaporean, the child will be a Singaporean by birth. (we can't choose the citizenship for him) However, I will apply another citizenship for him at the same time so the baby will have dual citizenship.

We intend to migrate to other places in about 1 year's time and therefore we were thinking of applying renouncification of the child's Singapore citizenship when he reaches 13 and follow all the procedures mentioned here in the forum so that he can renounce without serving NS.

However, I have a question, if after giving birth, my wife takes the govt paid maternity leave and we claim the baby bonus, tax claim (which are solely due to the baby is going to be a Singapore citizen), will the child be considered as having enjoyed the socio-economic benefits? As I read the forum that if the child is considered to have enjoyed the benefits, then it will not be possible for him to renounce the citizenshp without serving NS. Really appreicate if someone can reply?

On a separate note, when we are leaving Singapore, do we have to apply a Singapore pasport for the child so that he can leave without complication? Can we use the foreign passport to leave Singapore (but in this case, how to prove the child stayed in Singapore legally)?

Thanks!

User avatar
Wind In My Hair
Manager
Manager
Posts: 2306
Joined: Tue, 19 Jul 2005

Re: Maternity leave, baby bonus, passort, citizenship

Postby Wind In My Hair » Mon, 05 Jan 2009 10:34 pm

yoho wrote:However, I have a question, if after giving birth, my wife takes the govt paid maternity leave and we claim the baby bonus, tax claim (which are solely due to the baby is going to be a Singapore citizen), will the child be considered as having enjoyed the socio-economic benefits?

Regardless of what the legal answer is (which, by the way, is "Duh!") what do you, in your heart, think the right answer should be? You are thinking of enjoying the benefits of taxpayers' hard-earned money in return for...?

User avatar
sundaymorningstaple
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 35184
Joined: Thu, 11 Nov 2004
Location: Still Fishing!
Contact:

Re: Maternity leave, baby bonus, passort, citizenship

Postby sundaymorningstaple » Mon, 05 Jan 2009 11:13 pm

yoho wrote:However, I have a question, if after giving birth, my wife takes the govt paid maternity leave and we claim the baby bonus, tax claim (which are solely due to the baby is going to be a Singapore citizen), will the child be considered as having enjoyed the socio-economic benefits? As I read the forum that if the child is considered to have enjoyed the benefits, then it will not be possible for him to renounce the citizenshp without serving NS. Really appreicate if someone can reply?

As far as I have been able to tell, while what you say is true, the government mostly deems staying past the age of 11 -13 is that is when they start Secondary School. After that the government deems it as they have enjoyed socio-economic benefits. Additionally if you renew their passports after the age of 11 then that also is considered the same as receiving an NRIC. The maternity benefits, baby bonus and tax claims are being enjoyed not by the baby but by the Mother. Big difference.

On a separate note, when we are leaving Singapore, do we have to apply a Singapore pasport for the child so that he can leave without complication? Can we use the foreign passport to leave Singapore (but in this case, how to prove the child stayed in Singapore legally)?

Yes, the child needs to leave the country on his own passport (they can no longer ride on the mother's passport due to the new biometric passports. No you can't use a foreign passport to leave the country. Would get you into heaps of trouble when immigration wants to know where the white card is and the inward chop from immigration showing when he entered the country. :oops:

Thanks!


ON a separate note, I agree with WIMH. I sure hope I don't ever have to depend on the next generation to protect me.

User avatar
Plavt
Director
Director
Posts: 4292
Joined: Wed, 18 May 2005
Location: United Kingdom

Re: Maternity leave, baby bonus, passort, citizenship

Postby Plavt » Mon, 05 Jan 2009 11:26 pm

yoho wrote:(which are solely due to the baby is going to be a Singapore citizen), will the child be considered as having enjoyed the socio-economic benefits?
Thanks!


Yoho,
I would not normally bother with questions of this nature since I don't live in Singapore but I think you may have answered your own question as WIMH appears to imply.

User avatar
Wind In My Hair
Manager
Manager
Posts: 2306
Joined: Tue, 19 Jul 2005

Re: Maternity leave, baby bonus, passort, citizenship

Postby Wind In My Hair » Tue, 06 Jan 2009 12:36 am

sundaymorningstaple wrote:The maternity benefits, baby bonus and tax claims are being enjoyed not by the baby but by the Mother. Big difference.

Good point. And I'm sure she's spending the substantial cash bonus and tax savings on post-natal manicures and not on baby food or anything like that.

Sorry, SMS, you know my anger is not directed at you. To blatantly plan on staying only one year but grabbing all the dosh you can while you're here, at a time like this when many families are worrying where their next meal is going to come from and the money could be channelled their way instead...

I may regret saying this, but I'm glad some people are leaving this country.

yoho
Newbie
Newbie
Posts: 5
Joined: Mon, 05 Jan 2009

Re: Maternity leave, baby bonus, passort, citizenship

Postby yoho » Tue, 06 Jan 2009 9:14 am

SMS, Plavt, WIMH Thanks for the reply.

I don't know why this triggered some sort of anger? My wife and I are also hard working tax payers. For all the benefits paid to whoever, we are contributing as well.

The post was just to verify whether the benefits are considered for the Mom or the child. If it is for the child, we have decided (before I post here) not to claim it to avoid any complication in the future. If it is for the Mom, my wife is also entitled to enjoy the benefits, isn't she?

Migration is part of the family plan for a long time, not because of the child. Isn't it absurd to change such an important plan just for the benefits?!

I owe no one explanation on the above, however, just want to make sure that my intention is not misunderstood.

smayrhofer
Regular
Regular
Posts: 142
Joined: Tue, 02 Dec 2008
Location: Singapore

Postby smayrhofer » Tue, 06 Jan 2009 9:49 am

I think suggesting that the mom wants the money for self-pampering is a little harsh. It's not cheap having a baby in Singapore if it's not covered by insurance (which it isn't for most). The baby bonus would go a long way in recovering some of the costs, and if I qualified for the baby bonus it would certainly help me and my spouse breathe a little easier.

Agree with yoho's comment that he is working and paying tax right now, and that he and his wife should thus be entitled to tax payer benefits. These are after all paid out of money that was put in by tax payers in the past. No reason they shouldn't get the money if they qualify, whether or not their son serves NS.

User avatar
Wind In My Hair
Manager
Manager
Posts: 2306
Joined: Tue, 19 Jul 2005

Postby Wind In My Hair » Tue, 06 Jan 2009 12:26 pm

smayrhofer wrote:I think suggesting that the mom wants the money for self-pampering is a little harsh.

Sorry. Have to improve on my sarcasm - guess my skills got rusty from lack of practice. :)

smayrhofer wrote:Agree with yoho's comment that he is working and paying tax right now, and that he and his wife should thus be entitled to tax payer benefits. These are after all paid out of money that was put in by tax payers in the past. No reason they shouldn't get the money if they qualify, whether or not their son serves NS.

The rationale behind the extended maternity leave, baby bonus and tax incentives is to encourage Singaporeans to have babies for Singapore. I repeat, for Singapore. As a measure to pull up our low birth rate, it justifies using taxpayers' money. It just doesn't feel right to me to claim the benefits with the clear intention that your child is not going to contribute anything to Singapore and eventually give up citizenship here.

Other benefits like earned income reliefs, Workfare bonuses etc are different. The intention there is to encourage people, Singaporeans and foreigners alike, to work here or to offset hardships during bad times. Enjoy those benefits to your hearts content, since yes, you did work to contribute. I support that fully.

I just checked out the eligibility criteria for the Baby Bonus. Nowhere does it state that it is the parent who is deemed to have enjoyed the benefit. In fact, it doesn't even state that either parent has to be a citizen - they just have to be lawfully married. The criteria state that it is the child who has to be a citizen.

So it is just as I suspected and rightly so. Looks like the benefits accrue to the child, which common sense would tell you anyway. I hope the Mindef people who evaluate requests for NS exemption are not blind to this fact.


  • Similar Topics
    Replies
    Views
    Last post

Return to “Strictly Speaking”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests