Singapore Expats Forum

surprised at the mention for my favourite expat forum

Discuss about the latest news & interesting topics, real life experience or other out of topic discussions with locals & expatriates in Singapore.

sillingw
Chatter
Chatter

surprised at the mention for my favourite expat forum

Postby sillingw » Mon, 05 Jan 2009 1:52 pm

In the not to be mentioned local newspaper - I can't remember which day, but late last week - An article about expats bailing out on their rental lease contracts - the reporter reffered to our beloved forum where they had obviously done extensive research (not!) saying something along the lines of advice here on how to negotiate out of contract even how to bail out and do a runner (can't say I've ever seen that advice given). I am more surprised that I didn't find a posting already from our regular contributers, I had a few days off for the holidays and came back expecting to find a lengthy thread - did anyone else come across it?

Wind In My Hair
Manager
Manager

Postby Wind In My Hair » Mon, 05 Jan 2009 2:18 pm

Yes I saw the article, being a faithful reader of the Paper That Shall Not Be Named (I'm still in Harry Potter mode after finishing the last book). There are several expat forums here so I wasn't sure which one they've been reading - probably all.

sierra2469alpha
Editor
Editor

Postby sierra2469alpha » Mon, 05 Jan 2009 2:24 pm

Hmm...Ms. C and I are only just back from our break so we didn't see aforementioned article. SillingW or WIMH, is there a hyperlink to the so-called paper's site?

Hope you're both well - Cheers, Mr. P

Wind In My Hair
Manager
Manager

Postby Wind In My Hair » Mon, 05 Jan 2009 2:42 pm

sierra2469alpha wrote:Hmm...Ms. C and I are only just back from our break so we didn't see aforementioned article. SillingW or WIMH, is there a hyperlink to the so-called paper's site?

This is the best link I can give you:

http://www.singaporeexpats.com/forum/ftopic45505.html

sillingw
Chatter
Chatter

Postby sillingw » Mon, 05 Jan 2009 3:21 pm

Hmmmm, not sure I can post the link, it seems that whenever you post a link to this particular newspaper, the moderators get bent out of shape, probably something to do with a cease and desist order, But i'll try the link to the forum discussion (which also includes the name of the paper - please forgive me if I am doing something wrong.

Happy New year to all the regulars :D

sierra2469alpha
Editor
Editor

Postby sierra2469alpha » Mon, 05 Jan 2009 3:21 pm

Seems strange to me. Most expats have a clause in their rental contracts which allows them to exit the lease in the event they lose their P/PEP or the company pulls their position. I think it's the "diplomatic" clause.

[Edit: correction]
Last edited by sierra2469alpha on Tue, 06 Jan 2009 12:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.

sillingw
Chatter
Chatter

Postby sillingw » Mon, 05 Jan 2009 3:27 pm

There is such a clause, but most renters (even expats) are not on an expat package and are "private" renters - If they are on an expat package, usually the contract is agreed with the company and then you will find that clause - it is especially true with diplomats (hence, I think it's called the diplomat clause) -

WIMH - I seem to remember when I read the print article, that they referred to this expat forum by name - I'll see if I still have at home and re-read

ScoobyDoes
Manager
Manager

Postby ScoobyDoes » Mon, 05 Jan 2009 4:50 pm

So, you've posted a thread on this site mentioning the other is your favourite......hmmmmm ;)

The problem with that so called article was the pure lack of perspective given problems many expats have been facing over the last few years with excessive rental increases, theft of deposits, lock outs and the rest.

When reports were made of foreigners' complaints of high, uncompetitive rents the official line was something like "Tough Cheese, my friend. Those are the market conditions" so i don't see why, when times change, a little coming-home-to-roost is not evidenced.

With regards a Diplomatic Clause, i have one but it only saves me 10-months from 24 given two months notice after the first year.

Zeenit
Reporter
Reporter

Postby Zeenit » Mon, 05 Jan 2009 6:04 pm

ScoobyDoes wrote:So, you've posted a thread on this site mentioning the other is your favourite......hmmmmm ;)

The problem with that so called article was the pure lack of perspective given problems many expats have been facing over the last few years with excessive rental increases, theft of deposits, lock outs and the rest.

When reports were made of foreigners' complaints of high, uncompetitive rents the official line was something like "Tough Cheese, my friend. Those are the market conditions" so i don't see why, when times change, a little coming-home-to-roost is not evidenced.

With regards a Diplomatic Clause, i have one but it only saves me 10-months from 24 given two months notice after the first year.

Same here. If the EP holder looses the work permit and MOM gives you 30 days to leave, what else do you do but pack up and go home.
Zeenit

amiee40
Chatter
Chatter

Postby amiee40 » Mon, 05 Jan 2009 6:09 pm

The forum mentioned in that article is a different expat form. It is the one where you don't have to register in order to post.

The topic on that forum is called ' Doing a runner'. Very interesting posts.

sundaymorningstaple

Postby sundaymorningstaple » Mon, 05 Jan 2009 11:21 pm

Oh, you mean the Angry Board with the Psychotic Board Managers and even more psychotic local flaming the expats every chance they get. Sad board that. The only good to come out if it was those that left and started new sites like this one and Singaporum.

jpatokal

Postby jpatokal » Tue, 06 Jan 2009 1:40 am

Wah lao, so shy-shy. No C&Ds from the Angry guys that I know of, so here's a direct link:

http://www.expatsingapore.com/forum/ind ... 313.0.html

Classic case of an ultra-kiasu landlord, it seems -- unwilling to nego at all even though tenant is leaving the country and has lined up a new tenant for them. I'd probably do the same in their situation...
Vaguely heretical thoughts on travel technology at Gyrovague

amiee40
Chatter
Chatter

Postby amiee40 » Tue, 06 Jan 2009 10:24 am

SMS

You are spot on about the BM on that forum. He doesn't like people pointing out his mistakes. I advertised something on that board and he kept on deleting it. I asked him why through the post, no response so i emailed him. He said that i had to pay for it since my items advertised was more than $300 and commerical, which it was not. He didn't want to admit for his mistake so i was angry and posted a few things about their rules and regs on the forum and he threaten me, called me childish, rude and a few other names which i can not post on this forum.

I only read that forum when i really really bored, good for a laugh at times.

sillingw
Chatter
Chatter

Postby sillingw » Tue, 06 Jan 2009 11:52 am

Just want to make sure I am not mis-understood. I have never even been to the other forum - this one is my favourite :D

I couldn't remember clearly which forum was mentioned in the article, but I honestly thought it was this one.

I would not be so dumb as to post here that another site is my favourite. Apoligies to anyone that took offence, none was meant

Wind In My Hair
Manager
Manager

Postby Wind In My Hair » Tue, 06 Jan 2009 12:44 pm

No worries, Sillingw. I knew all along you were referring to this one. :D