Singapore Expats Forum

Move to Singapore Requires Employment Pass?

Relocating, travelling or planning to make Singapore home? Discuss the criterias, passes or visa that is required.
drewsav

Move to Singapore Requires Employment Pass?

Postby drewsav » Fri, 02 Jan 2009 4:23 pm

Hi guys,

I'm looking at moving to Singapore for up to 2 years to live with my girlfriend who is a Singapore national, while still employed by my current employer in Australia. I'm in IT and all my work is done over an internet connection, so i can't quite see an Employment Pass working for me.

My question would be: What options do i have to make this a reality? I also travel a few times a year with work, and living in Singapore makes the distance to Europe a great deal shorter.

I have been trawling the Ministry of Manpower and Singapore Government websites but haven't quite found anything matching this criteria. My emails have so far gone unanswered due to the Christmas period.

Any help or ideas would be greatly appreciated, thanks.

sundaymorningstaple

Postby sundaymorningstaple » Fri, 02 Jan 2009 6:29 pm

Very few if any.

Saint
Director
Director

Postby Saint » Fri, 02 Jan 2009 7:01 pm

Are you still hungover SMS :lol:

Actually I believe the OP has an option. As he's working for a Aussie Co and if remains to be paid in to an Aussie bank account, he could come here on a visitor's pass and get a 3 month stamp. If he times his overseas work trips right could stay for a while. I don't think he'd be officially breaking any Singapore laws if he works from home and doesn't get paid here??

Obvious way round it is to get hitched :cool:

sundaymorningstaple

Postby sundaymorningstaple » Fri, 02 Jan 2009 9:14 pm

After his first extension expires and he leaves the country for a week and comes back again he'll be okay, That should take him to 6 to 8 months before he's told to go packing. Then how?

Not hung over, just the facts. He can push his luck (and he might get lucky for a while) but I'm not telling to try to circumvent immigrations and mom laws. :-|

If he's qualified, he can apply for an EPEC and stay a year if he's got the qualifications or he can apply for a PEP is his current employment for the past 3 years is over 7k/mo. But after the first tax return is filed with no income the PEP is dead forever. No guarantees that it will succeed but it's worth a try I guess.

He can start here:

http://www.mom.gov.sg/publish/momportal ... icate.html

it's his best bet but again, it's only good for a year max. After that he better get married. (The easiest but most costly solution!)

drewsav

Postby drewsav » Tue, 06 Jan 2009 2:24 pm

Yeah, the work would all be from home, and paid into my australian bank account.

Thanks for the ideas. An EPEC might be the way to go without pissing off the government. From what i can read though, it looks to be something that you can only apply for once. Can anyone verify this?

I would have been able to do the PEP a few months ago, but now that the australian dollar has dropped off the radar i'm worth a fair bit less. Btw, what's an OP?

I think the EPEC and visitor passes could cover me for over a year. Then i might have to look into this expensive option and sign my life away.

Thanks guys.