Singapore Expats

Advice - Best lightweight & comfortable stroller for infant

Discuss about childcare, parenthood, playschools, educational, family & international school issues.

Sponsored by:

Canadian International School
amiee40
Chatter
Chatter

Post by amiee40 » Sun, 04 Jan 2009 9:35 pm

true.. thanks.. I will have a look at the maclaren

According to my friends, I am abit of ebay queen in Australia, so i am sure i can re-sell it later on. Ebay singapore is abit limited and too small.

cbavasi
Reporter
Reporter

Post by cbavasi » Mon, 05 Jan 2009 6:31 pm

ok so i bought one of those volos today... super lightweight - it was the strap on the back that really sold me. (well that and for some reason when he pulled out the rain cover i was like "done!") anyhow... amiee40 - personally i wouldn't recommend it for a 6 month old since it doesn't recline at all. i bought it at mothercare in plaza singapura and they were closing out on their own model from last year which has the same easy collapse at the maclaren and does recline for $99. they had pink/blue http://www.mothercare.com.sg/productdetail.asp?pid=67

(ps - i didn't see that blue sapphire also mentioned the recline thing...)

durain
Director
Director

Post by durain » Mon, 05 Jan 2009 7:39 pm

cbavasi is spot on. one of the bad thing about the volo is it doesnt recline. so not comfy when the kid is sleeping. what you can get is a neck support or a head hugger.

be aware on the mothercare pushchair - it is not as lasting as the maclaren. (no, i dont work for maclaren) :)

cbavasi
Reporter
Reporter

Post by cbavasi » Mon, 05 Jan 2009 8:42 pm

durain wrote: be aware on the mothercare pushchair - it is not as lasting as the maclaren. (no, i dont work for maclaren) :)
yes, yes i agree - that is the one my son put his foot through - but i think it's ok if you are just using for travel based on the $$. honestly - i really need to put together a collage of "the strollers i've loved, lost & broken...." :shock:
anyhow - anxious to try out my new "wheels"...

Blue Sapphire
Chatter
Chatter

Post by Blue Sapphire » Mon, 05 Jan 2009 9:20 pm

amiee40 wrote:Thanks Durian..

No, no plans for anymore kids.. two is enough for me.

I thought about a Phil & Ted before but my oldest is already 4 and she prefers to walk most of the time and if she is tired, i have a wheeled board attachment for the bugaboo.

We are thinking of travelling to Korea/Taiwan for a few weeks and to take the bugaboo is abit hard. The travel bag for it itself is bigger than all our luggage. Then you would have to assembly it once you are arrive. So i need something rather cheap so i won't mind if it is lost or damaged during transit.
Since you are looking for a stroller that is cheap, lightweight and you dont mind it getting lost/damaged as you stated then you would have to go for something like what cbavasi has sent you the linked for from mothercare. You will also find a few of the sorts at toy r us.

But since you are just looking for something for travel have you thought of renting?

We went to Vietnam last month so we rented the 5-in-1 sit and stroll. Its a combination of a carseat and stroller. We only needed it for 2 weeks and rented it from toy rental for about $30 for that duration. Its also approved for flight so my son was safe during the whole flight (and restraint!). It took care of car, plane and train rides. Plus its also a booster chair for restaurants.

Toy rental also has various other strollers for rent if you want to go for a real stroller. Not sure what they are renting out but you could google up their website and check it you are interested. Ever since I discovered that you can rent kids stuff here I sometimes rent what I intend buying first to checked it out.

amiee40
Chatter
Chatter

Post by amiee40 » Fri, 09 Jan 2009 4:07 pm

Thanks all.
Not only i will be using the lightweight stroller whilst travelling but also travelling on buses in SG.

I had a look at the maclaren volvo and no, its not helpful. Though its light and well made but it only has one seating position. Perhaps its better suited for toddlers.

Aprica strollers looks practical and light but brand new ones are not within my budge. I am keeping my eyes open on ebay.sg, they have a few aprica one listed, just waiting for the perfect one.

I had a look at Kiddys Place this morning, they have some discounts with some of their strollers, never heard of the brands before but i guess if they serve the purpose and at a reasonable price, should not be so fussy.

My hunt for the best affordable stroller continues.....not in a terrible rush.

Blue Sapphire
Chatter
Chatter

Post by Blue Sapphire » Fri, 09 Jan 2009 9:08 pm

amiee40 wrote:Thanks all.
Not only i will be using the lightweight stroller whilst travelling but also travelling on buses in SG.

I had a look at the maclaren volvo and no, its not helpful. Though its light and well made but it only has one seating position. Perhaps its better suited for toddlers.

Aprica strollers looks practical and light but brand new ones are not within my budge. I am keeping my eyes open on ebay.sg, they have a few aprica one listed, just waiting for the perfect one.

I had a look at Kiddys Place this morning, they have some discounts with some of their strollers, never heard of the brands before but i guess if they serve the purpose and at a reasonable price, should not be so fussy.

My hunt for the best affordable stroller continues.....not in a terrible rush.
Watch your supermarket noticeboards, lots of people tend to sell their stuff on it for half the price or even less. Also check http://www.nmsg-singapore.com and other local forums. Ebay.sg isnt used that much.

dorastimgot

Post by dorastimgot » Wed, 27 Jan 2010 3:03 pm

You won't go wrong with a Combi. Mine had its fair share of knocks, bumps and kicks and yet it manage to survive intact! Highly durable for something so deceptively fragile looking.

babystrollerr

Re: Advice - Best lightweight & comfortable stroller for infant

Post by babystrollerr » Wed, 31 Jan 2018 2:09 am

I had a Doona baby stroller with my first kid and I really missed having the portability. With #2 and #3 kid, I used a Graco Snugride 5pt. With #4, I bought the Graco Safe baby stroller (higher weight and height limits). I recommend the Graco Baby stroller. He is now in a Britax Marathon RF but he can still fit in the stroller and he will turn two in July.