Singapore Expats

what pass to get for newborn in singapore?

Moving to Singapore? Ask our regular expats in Singapore questions on relocation and their experience here. Ask about banking, employment pass, insurance, visa, work permit, citizenship or immigration issues.

Sponsored by:

Utrust Immigration
jb_slinky

what pass to get for newborn in singapore?

Post by jb_slinky » Tue, 30 Dec 2008 5:48 pm

Hi,

I'm a PR and I was wondering what to do if I had a baby here in Singapore. I don't plan on sponsoring the child as a PR since I'm not yet sure if I'm going to stay long in Singapore. But there's also a possibility that I could stay long and I would want the child to study here in Singapore. So what should I do? Since I don't want to apply for PR for the kid, do I apply for dependent pass (DP) or long term social visit pass (LTSVP) or student pass (since he's going to study kindergarten here.

Any advice? Anybody here experienced the same scenario?

Cheers.

ksl
Governor
Governor

Re: what pass to get for newborn in singapore?

Post by ksl » Tue, 30 Dec 2008 10:46 pm

jb_slinky wrote:Hi,

I'm a PR and I was wondering what to do if I had a baby here in Singapore. I don't plan on sponsoring the child as a PR since I'm not yet sure if I'm going to stay long in Singapore. But there's also a possibility that I could stay long and I would want the child to study here in Singapore. So what should I do? Since I don't want to apply for PR for the kid, do I apply for dependent pass (DP) or long term social visit pass (LTSVP) or student pass (since he's going to study kindergarten here.

Any advice? Anybody here experienced the same scenario?

Cheers.
Well to be honest, there are more benefits if the kid is PR especially when children reach school age, also the nursery is cheaper. If the child is not PR, you get last choice, like we did. I would go for the PR you can always cancel it, the DP and LTSVP needs renewing far too often. It makes sense if you are a PR to get PR for your child too, and save money.

Lily Pad

Post by Lily Pad » Wed, 31 Dec 2008 1:45 pm

We got a LTSVP for our child who was born in Singapore. Once they officially start school they are then on student passes.

We arrive at opening time when dealing with any government agency. For LTSVP at ICA took us about 30 minutes for application, 10 minutes another day to collect. Renewals have also taken about 10 minutes for submission and another 10 for collection. All very easy.

jb_slinky

Post by jb_slinky » Wed, 31 Dec 2008 2:31 pm

Hi lilypad,

Thanks for the info. :)

Are you a PR as well? how long is the LTSVP good for? I'm planning on getting this as well, but I'm not sure if renewing this for many times is allowed until the kid gets student pass. Is there a limit for renewing the LTSVP?

JayV

Post by JayV » Wed, 31 Dec 2008 9:09 pm

We are PR's too and the status was given automatically to our child at her birth 6 years ago. Expiry date was set according to ours and now we just renew all of our re-entry permits at the same time every 10 years or so with no hassle at all.

ksl
Governor
Governor

Post by ksl » Thu, 01 Jan 2009 5:00 am

JayV wrote:We are PR's too and the status was given automatically to our child at her birth 6 years ago. Expiry date was set according to ours and now we just renew all of our re-entry permits at the same time every 10 years or so with no hassle at all.
Then i have news for you, PR's today, was refused 5 year extentions at ICA, only 3 years, for my daughter. They have also changed the rule for Long Term Visitors pass, I was told today no more of the old cards will be issued, people just now will get the same re-entry card when disembarking from the plane, extended for a couple of months until the ICA contacts them a month later, to come in for fingerprinting. A new card may be issued I said may be! I was there to transfer the visa from one passport to another, although one cannot do that either, one must apply by form to have it stamped in more than one passport if one is a PR and pay the fee.

ksl
Governor
Governor

Post by ksl » Thu, 01 Jan 2009 5:06 am

JayV wrote:We are PR's too and the status was given automatically to our child at her birth 6 years ago. Expiry date was set according to ours and now we just renew all of our re-entry permits at the same time every 10 years or so with no hassle at all.
Then i have news for you, PR's today, was refused 5 year extentions at ICA, only 3 years, for my daughter. They have also changed the rule for Long Term Visitors pass, I was told today no more of the old cards will be issued, people just now will get the same card when disembarking from the plane, extended for a couple of months until the ICA contacts them a month later, to come in for fingerprinting. A new card may be issued I said may be!

JayV

Post by JayV » Fri, 02 Jan 2009 10:23 pm

A little over a year ago they were more like promoting 10 years' extension (which we got with no hassle) instead of 5 years.

Times are changing?

Lily Pad

Post by Lily Pad » Fri, 02 Jan 2009 10:30 pm

jb_slinky wrote:Hi lilypad,

Are you a PR as well? how long is the LTSVP good for? I'm planning on getting this as well, but I'm not sure if renewing this for many times is allowed until the kid gets student pass. Is there a limit for renewing the LTSVP?
My husband & I are PRs. Have never heard of anyone having issues renewing LTSVP until student visa is issued. I can't imagine ICA would reject externsions esp given the rest of the family are here.

ksl
Governor
Governor

Post by ksl » Sat, 03 Jan 2009 1:20 am

Lily Pad wrote:

My husband & I are PRs. Have never heard of anyone having issues renewing LTSVP until student visa is issued. I can't imagine ICA would reject externsions esp given the rest of the family are here.
LTSVP shouldn't be a problem, the pass should be just a formality for families, it lasts only for 6 months though in the past, and a new type of card is in the works, with fingerprinting, don't know yet if it is still only for 6 months though.

I was having the re-entry visa, stamped in the passport. JAYV yes, they still using the old application forms, for the re-entry visa, 5 and 10 years, i ticked for 5, got 3 years. Never bothered to ask why.

jb_slinky

Post by jb_slinky » Sat, 03 Jan 2009 7:55 pm

Lily Pad wrote:

Hi Lily Pad,

thanks. actually, I plan on doing the same method. keep renewing LTSVP until student visa is issued. i didn't know if this could be done until now. thanks for sharing. :)

how young can the kid get a student visa? i'm assuming student visa is still required for pre-schoolers, is this correct? i just don't know what age is required for entering pre-school. i heard that they're kind of particular with age.