Singapore Expats

hypnobirthing - anyone tried it?

Do you have any pregnancy related queries to ask or share? Post them here.
smayrhofer
Regular
Regular

hypnobirthing - anyone tried it?

Post by smayrhofer » Tue, 30 Dec 2008 5:42 pm

Hi All,

I'm pregnant with my first, and the doula I was speaking to before my doc appointment today mentioned hypnobirthing as an alternative to breathing techniques taught at prenatal classes such as those at M&C.

Have any of you tried hypnobirthing? Did it work for you? Would love to hear some feedback.

Thanks

dtk81

Post by dtk81 » Thu, 08 Jan 2009 8:58 pm

breathing technique concept is rather a crazy one.. your body innately knows how to breath... just learn to listen to it. The public has been watching too much ER

I know of some hypnobirthing doula's if it you are interested

lia_27

Post by lia_27 » Fri, 09 Jan 2009 7:07 am

Hi smayrhofer,

I'm also curious about Hynobirthing. I'm sorry I don't know much about it myself, but Parent Link has some good information on its site.
http://www.parentlink.org/pregnant_sing ... _hypno.htm

They also have a free talk in February called Intro to Hynobirthing. Its on Feb 25th. I signed up to go and I think I'll bring my husband. If you'd like to go, I'll be there. Here's the link to the free talks: http://www.parentlink.org/free_talks.htm

I think in one of your other posts you said you were about 20 weeks pregnant. I'm only 6, so if we both decide to do the class, I don't think we'll take the same class. But if you want to meet up for a coffee sometime, let me know: [email protected]

Good luck with everything,
Lia

batgirl_cdn
Regular
Regular

Post by batgirl_cdn » Sat, 10 Jan 2009 12:24 am

I used hypnobirthing with my first baby and will absolutely use it again with my second.

While I wouldn't say that my birth was pain-free, it was absolutely manageable. Not once did I feel I needed to ask for an epidural. I worked alone with my techniques, but if you have a birth partner who will use techniques with you, they can help get you into a deeper relaxation that can probably make the pain disappear. My hubby took classes with me, but then never used any deepening techniques with me. (Actually, he read the paper and had a nap :)) He thought I was doing fine on my own, which I guess I was. Still, some people experience absolutely no discomfort at all using hypnobirthing, so it is possible!

Hypnobirthing techniques are all about teaching you to relax so that your body can do its work. Even women who have to have a c-section can use the techniques to remain relaxed before and after the surgery.

The breathing and visualization were essential in my birth, and I found the labouring experience peaceful and calm. For most of my labour (until I hit transition) I was almost sleeping, had my eyes closed and breathed and visualized (sometimes listening to my hypnobirthing scripts on mp3 player). After transition I still had my eyes closed and was peaceful, but I was making a growling noise during pushes. I didn't find pushing painful, it was just a very physical experience. One interesting thing about my birth using hypnobirthing was that my total labour was 12 hrs, yet I felt the whole thing only lasted about 5 hrs.

We never bothered with typical birth classes, spent the money on hypnobirthing classes instead and read our What to Expect When You're Expecting book to fill us in on the rest. It was money well spent.

Jess828

Post by Jess828 » Fri, 13 Jan 2012 10:42 am

Sounds like an interesting mix between hypnotism & giving birth...O_O A medieval method?

missyqiqi
Regular
Regular

Re: hypnobirthing - anyone tried it?

Post by missyqiqi » Tue, 20 Dec 2016 10:02 am

wow. im very curious about this too! it sounds interesting, but at the same time i would be scared too. lol

missyqiqi
Regular
Regular

Re:

Post by missyqiqi » Tue, 20 Dec 2016 10:06 am

batgirl_cdn wrote:I used hypnobirthing with my first baby and will absolutely use it again with my second.

While I wouldn't say that my birth was pain-free, it was absolutely manageable. Not once did I feel I needed to ask for an epidural. I worked alone with my techniques, but if you have a birth partner who will use techniques with you, they can help get you into a deeper relaxation that can probably make the pain disappear. My hubby took classes with me, but then never used any deepening techniques with me. (Actually, he read the paper and had a nap :)) He thought I was doing fine on my own, which I guess I was. Still, some people experience absolutely no discomfort at all using hypnobirthing, so it is possible!

Hypnobirthing techniques are all about teaching you to relax so that your body can do its work. Even women who have to have a c-section can use the techniques to remain relaxed before and after the surgery.

The breathing and visualization were essential in my birth, and I found the labouring experience peaceful and calm. For most of my labour (until I hit transition) I was almost sleeping, had my eyes closed and breathed and visualized (sometimes listening to my hypnobirthing scripts on mp3 player). After transition I still had my eyes closed and was peaceful, but I was making a growling noise during pushes. I didn't find pushing painful, it was just a very physical experience. One interesting thing about my birth using hypnobirthing was that my total labour was 12 hrs, yet I felt the whole thing only lasted about 5 hrs.

We never bothered with typical birth classes, spent the money on hypnobirthing classes instead and read our What to Expect When You're Expecting book to fill us in on the rest. It was money well spent.
would u be willing to share the techniques? i want to learn =D