Singapore Expats

Prospective Expat - IT Industry - Advice Needed

Discuss about getting a well paid job or career advancement. Ask about salaries, expat packages, CPF & taxes for expatriate.
theemptyone

Prospective Expat - IT Industry - Advice Needed

Post by theemptyone » Tue, 30 Dec 2008 11:41 am

I've been wanting to move to Singapore now for quite a while *From the US* and have been working towards that goal. I finished my associates degree back in '01, and after working in the IT field for a number of years am back and near finishing my BS.

Once I finish my BS, i'll be taking my GMAT to get into a online MBA curriculum.

Once I finish this year, I'll have around 5 years of experience in IT, including Network Security, Managed Security Services, Network Connectivity, WAN Analysis, UNIX administration, 24/7 NOC/SOC etc. I'll have my CCNA, and my GMAT, as well as a Bacholers in Network Technology.

I need some advice on what to do then. I have some friends in Singapore that suggest i just take a few months off and move there to activly look for a job. That seems a tad haphazard to me.

Is there someone who works in the IT field in Singapore that would have some sort of advice on how to best finding either a Singaporean Job, or an Expatriot American job. What best to expect, what salaray to look for, or if it is best to just go there, pop some resume's and start cold calling?

Much appreciated.

xtasy010
Regular
Regular

Post by xtasy010 » Fri, 02 Jan 2009 1:23 pm

You seem well qualified with decent experience. You can start by applying to jobs online and see what kind of response you get. Start at http://singapore.recruit.net
If you had made this post a year back I would have recommended to move hear and find a job but in these uncertain times that might not be too wise.